Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-23-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer

My paypal was perm limited and I only use it for my website, it has become very obvious that the domain itself has become blacklisted. Although I figured that would be the case I recently opened a stealth acc with no connecting details at all with the one exception being my domain. So thats crystal now.

What I am wondering is before I switch on a redirection and rename my site etc etc (I am using stripe and I must say its working out well, but from abandoned carts I can see roughly how many sales I am losing due to the missing paypal option)....could I add SSL to the domain making it https://www.blah blah instead of www.blablah and would that slight difference be enough to pass through paypal?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-23-2016

Longevity: 65%
Default Re: Domain question....hopefully someone might know the answer

Better to change the domain completely otherwise you'll run the risk of a similarity if they do a manual review and see other similar characteristics
The Following User Says Thank You to elmo For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Yes that is what I thought....was just kind of clutching :( Im worried current customers will be put off with a redirect and Im not a hundred percent sure how it works when I switch a redirect on regarding all old links to the original domain. If I knew it would all just be straight forward and business as usual, any links redirecting to the corresponding new page etc I could rest a little easier.
Old 08-23-2016

Longevity: 50%

can't you just redirect the checkout page to a ne domaine name (something like "mydomainnamesecuredcheckout") and then accept paypal on this new one page domain ?
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOKNAPA For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

You could try using merchants who allow customers to pay by card or PayPal. I think such PayPal payments go through the merchant and end up in your account (I think).

Alternatively, you could open up a stealth paypal, and at checkout tell customers you will send them an invoice (manually).

You basically cannot use PayPal's checkout/buy now buttons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-24-2016), rsot (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016

Longevity: 46%

It will be interesting to see what people write in threads, because this is my case in one of my businesses

Last edited by celebrityphotos4you; 08-23-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2016

Don't go for the SSL idea, significant risk.

URL forwarding and/or any other kind of redirect has worked for me on scenarios you've explained for the last 5 years. Done correctly there's no concerns about PayPal linking - in my professional opinion and experience.

You can use the PayPal button code- just opt for the email link version & work out your redirect/forward from there. Very simple & safe, and you can even link that to a checkout button/image of your own, if required.

Last edited by UKGiftWarranty; 08-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKGiftWarranty For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-24-2016), Play (08-23-2016)
Old 08-24-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOKNAPA View Post
can't you just redirect the checkout page to a ne domaine name (something like "mydomainnamesecuredcheckout") and then accept paypal on this new one page domain ?
I have read something about this somewhere, but I mentioned it to the person that set up my website (I am not in the least bit technical really- I know how to manage the back end- upload/design opencart etc but mention FTP etc and youve lost me) and he said something vague which makes me think he didnt know how to do this either.
Old 08-24-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGiftWarranty View Post
Don't go for the SSL idea, significant risk.

URL forwarding and/or any other kind of redirect has worked for me on scenarios you've explained for the last 5 years. Done correctly there's no concerns about PayPal linking - in my professional opinion and experience.

You can use the PayPal button code- just opt for the email link version & work out your redirect/forward from there. Very simple & safe, and you can even link that to a checkout button/image of your own, if required.
I use the paypal standard setup and the site is a customised opencart theme. Do you know if all redirects run smoothly? I am concerned mainly because we advertise quite heavily to remove and amend all adverts with the new links to products will be time consuming and not really viable. Once a redirect is on will all links transfer to correct corresponding products? assuming all is done correctly of course.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-24-2016

Longevity: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
I have read something about this somewhere, but I mentioned it to the person that set up my website (I am not in the least bit technical really- I know how to manage the back end- upload/design opencart etc but mention FTP etc and youve lost me) and he said something vague which makes me think he didnt know how to do this either.
I never did it before, but i think you can find someone on the web who can do it for cheap , it looks not difficult to do
Old 08-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
I use the paypal standard setup and the site is a customised opencart theme. Do you know if all redirects run smoothly? I am concerned mainly because we advertise quite heavily to remove and amend all adverts with the new links to products will be time consuming and not really viable. Once a redirect is on will all links transfer to correct corresponding products? assuming all is done correctly of course.

Thanks again everyone.
Absolutely- providing the links are used at least infrequently then any large third party URL shortening service would actually work - but why not go one further and setup 301 redirects through another domain you own? This cuts out the middle man and guarantees your solution is permanent. A redirect alone is probably enough but you can get creative with the domain you redirect via and make things look super legit.

Last edited by UKGiftWarranty; 08-24-2016 at 03:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to UKGiftWarranty For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGiftWarranty View Post
Absolutely- providing the links are used at least infrequently then any large third party URL shortening service would actually work - but why not go one further and setup 301 redirects through another domain you own? This cuts out the middle man and guarantees your solution is permanent. A redirect alone is probably enough but you can get creative with the domain you redirect via and make things look super legit.
To be honest when I began the site 2 years ago I picked a name out of thin air thinking I can always change it at a later date and it wasnt (I dont think) the best of names but I had no idea how popular we were going to be so Ive stuck with it. However at this point it would be an opportunity to rebrand I guess with a 301 redirect.

I think my last question is, will my customers old and new be put off by the sudden redirection. I can send out an email announcing our rebranding to our current customers, but it may put new customers off?
Old 08-24-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

.....or I could 301 redirect to a domain that is only slightly different as I puchased both versions at the same time. However the concern there is that it would not be too dissimilar to the previous version should a manual review take place? my website contains numbers and the new version is exactly the same but without the numbers. Is it too similar I wonder?....but I think the customers would not notice this slight difference on the positive side.
Old 08-24-2016

I'd confidently suggest that a loss of sales would be tiny, if at all... at least 99% of the general population wouldn't even understand a redirect had taken place, and certainly wouldn't see it as a concern. In all likelihood, they'll be unaware and think they've gone straight from your site through to PayPal, the entire process takes less than a second.

I'd be happy with a secondary domain that's similar- just throw up WHOIS protection and you're good to go. If you want to be super paranoid then go for a completely different domain but I don't believe this is a genuine risk of any kind and I've used similar tactics in the past and not run into any issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to UKGiftWarranty For This Useful Post:
Charmed (08-25-2016)