Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > CryptoCurrency

CryptoCurrency Discuss all CryptoCurrencies / coins and their use for personal or business purposes. Bitcoin (BTC) is possibly the best known but there are numerous crypto currencies, this is the forum to discuss them all.

Old 12-23-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 67%
Arrow Bitcoin Guide / Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc.

Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc.

With bitcoin value on the rise, I thought I'd make a quick guide to explain what it is, and how simple it is to actually use (contrary to popular belief).

Trivial Points
  • Bitcoin (BTC or XBT) is not as complicated as some make it seem. Its basically another currency. Just like Great British Pound (GBP) and United States Dollar (USD).
  • Only big difference is, its virtual.
  • BTC is *not* anonymous and it *can* be traced back to you. Heck it's renowned for being very transaparent. So don't be tempted to get up to mischief.
  • BTC is a volatile currency, which means the value can dramatically change within an instant.
  • So if you don't have an appetite for such risk, the solution is simple, most wallet providers will let you withdraw the BTC and store it in the form of other currencies, such as GBP, USD, EUR etc.. That way you can retain its value, and exchange it back when you need to spend it.
  • Some wallet providers do this automatically, whilst with others you have to manually initiate the withdrawal of BTC to your chosen currency.
  • Major benefits of Bitcoin include no chargeback, and no (or low) fees - these are the two main reasons why businesses choose to use bitcoin. So it's important you trust who your dealing with before parting with your bitcoins.

What you need to get started

Basically all you need is a wallet to manage your bitcoin funds. We recommend Coinbase.com as its super simple to use for those who are new. You also get a generous Bitcoin buying limit to start off with.

1. Head over to https://www.coinbase.com/ and signup
2. You will need to get ID verified which is a super simple procedure, just have all documents to hand.

Note - If Coinbase is not working, you can use the following alternatives:

LocalBitcoins (Click Here)
For instructions on how to use this,
to see the YouTube tutorial.

CoinCorner (Click Here)
For instructions on how to use this, Click Here.

Bittylicious (Click Here)
For instructions on how to use this, Click Here.

How to add or buy Bitcoins?

1. Once you've verified your Coinbase account, click Buy/Sell on the left.
2. Select Bitcoin as the currency you intend to buy.
3. Then select your payment method, ensure its a card payment (3.99% fee).
Using a bank to fund your payments can take a lot longer (a bit like funding PayPal payments with your bank).
4. Finally enter the amount you want to buy.
5. Then click 'Buy Bitcoin Instantly'.

How to spend or send Bitcoins?

Now that you have a balance, you'll want to spend it.

1. So to send money to someone, simply ask for their wallet address and amount to send.
2. If you need to calculate how much to send, you can use this simple nifty tool: Bitcoin to British Pound Rate — Bitcoin Live Converter — Preev (which converts loads of currencies to Bitcoin!).
3. Once you've sent it, it can take from 15 minutes to an hour for it to clear on the recipients end.

How to receive Bitcoins?

You just need to give your wallet address to someone.
1. To find your address, click Accounts on the left hand menu.
2. Then click 'Get bitcoin address' for the appropriate wallet.

There are a few wallets listed here, you have Bitcoin wallet, as well as other currency based wallets. If you give your Bitcoin wallet address, money will come into your bitcoin balance. If you give out your GBP wallet address, money will come into your account in the form of GBP (£) so it won't be prone to volatile exchange rates causing it to change in value later.

Additional Information for the curious

To read more about the different wallets that are available, or how to purchase bitcoins using different payment methods, or even how to buy bitcoins with PayPal etc., please read this website here: https://99bitcoins.com/the-definitiv...ying-bitcoins/

The purpose of this guide was to give users an insight into Bitcoin, but keeping it super simple at the same time. I feel technical jargon often times confuses people and deters them from using Bitcoin. But if you feel like reading about how Bitcoin works, the blockchain, mining process etc. best place to start is wikipedia itself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Queries

If you need help, just post below and I'll do my best to assist you. Hopefully this guide has explained everything you need to know about Bitcoin.
I will do my best to keep this thread up to date with the latest information.

Last Update: June 2017

Last edited by ilcarletto; 06-25-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: OP asked to do so
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
123 (12-25-2016), access0ner (01-01-2017), Aspk (10-27-2019), aspkin (12-23-2016), BlackLion (12-23-2016), bosco (04-20-2017), dava811 (12-27-2016), easy.bake.oven (12-23-2016), faizee (02-02-2017), GreenBean (12-28-2016), JamesNorth101 (12-23-2016), jmag91 (01-02-2017), newjerseymax (01-02-2017), rsot (12-24-2016), sheikyormunny (03-02-2017), slokor (12-23-2016), TGMT² (12-24-2016), TOOKNAPA (12-24-2016), zx6ninja (12-04-2017)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-23-2016
Banned

Longevity: 58%
Default Re: Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc

This is out of date. As of a couple of weeks ago circle removed BTC from their offerings. Was cool, not anymore.
Old 12-23-2016
Threadstarter  

Arrow Re: Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox20c View Post
This is out of date. As of a couple of weeks ago circle removed BTC from their offerings. Was cool, not anymore.
Thanks! Your quite right. I wrote this last month when it was working. I'll be sure to update it.

I've now updated the thread with instructions on how to use Coinbase.com as a wallet. It's unfortunate Circle no longer offer this option as they were not only simple to use, but also allowed new users to purchase BTC without any form of verification.

Last edited by Play; 12-23-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc

Personally I love BTC. I find it very easy to use and super fast to transfer.

With the block chain being fully transparent its near impossible to forge any transactions which means its very very easy to verify if a payment has been sent or receiving.

I use Coinbase myself which I really like

The only thing that can be a bit annoying is when BTC is transferred from 1 wallet to another wallet it can take upto an hour for the payment to be confirmed in the recipients wallet which is a bit can just delay things getting done sometimes. Overall that is just small snag in what it otherwise a fantastic system
Old 12-23-2016

Longevity: 64%
Send a message via ICQ to easy.bake.oven
Lightbulb Re: Bitcoin Guide/Tutorial: What is it?, How do you buy it, Spend it, Withdraw it etc

Thanks for the guide, easy to read and handy.
Just wanted to add......

Coinbase and IRS:

IRS Demands Identities of All US Coinbase Traders Over Three Year Period | Motherboard
article above was posted November 18, 2016 // 10:20 AM EST

Last edited by easy.bake.oven; 12-23-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2016
Threadstarter  

I think as BTC gets more popular, and some using it as a means of tax avoidance, they will clamp down on it sooner or later.

So whilst coinbase may have been first on the list, I won't be surprised if others follow suite. I also predict they will make a big deal out of it, and then demand cryptocurrencies to eventually become regulated.

Either way, like I say in the guide, its just another currency. So if your paying any tax due, you've nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Play; 12-24-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Nice write-up Play
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Play (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
I think as BTC gets more popular, and some using it as a means of tax avoidance, they will clamp down on it sooner or later.

So whilst coinbase may have been first on the list, I won't be surprised if others follow suite. I also predict they will make a big deal out of it, and then demand cryptocurrencies to eventually become regulated.

Either way, like I say in the guide, its just another currency. So if your paying any tax due, you've nothing to worry about.
You cant regulate it. Thats the entire beauty and draw of it.
Old 12-24-2016
Banned

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot10 View Post
Never say never, greedy powerful people will find a way if they really want it.
The Following User Says Thank You to empirestate For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Thanks, and added to my favorites.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
Play (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Either they will, or they'll make the currency an illegal form of tender. They will get their way in the end. As empirestate said, greedy people will find a way.
Old 12-24-2016

Again I think alot of people miss the beauty of what bitcoin is. You cant shut it down. It cant be regulated because nobody owns it. There is no one to shut down. I think people need to understand what it is before just throwing out the obligatory "oh they'll just regulate it" if you understood what it was and how it worked you wouldnt say that.
Old 12-25-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Great guide, and couldn't agree more, absolutely love bitcoin. Every seller should get familiar with it and offer it as a payment option, whenever possible (no chargebacks)

And have had a good experience with coinbase so far
Old 12-27-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Again I think alot of people miss the beauty of what bitcoin is. You cant shut it down. It cant be regulated because nobody owns it. There is no one to shut down. I think people need to understand what it is before just throwing out the obligatory "oh they'll just regulate it" if you understood what it was and how it worked you wouldnt say that.
I think your getting things misconstrued. A country can (and some have already) regulated the use of Bitcoin. Whether you choose to adhere to the laws set out by your country are a different matter. See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legali...oin_by_country)

P.S. BTC is unregulated in the UK (as of now atleast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Great guide, and couldn't agree more, absolutely love bitcoin. Every seller should get familiar with it and offer it as a payment option, whenever possible (no chargebacks)

And have had a good experience with coinbase so far
Completely agree! For those who don't know already if you sign up to 24vc.com VPN services and pay via Bitcoin, the transaction process is a lot smoother, and your service will be up and running a lot quicker
Old 12-27-2016

I agree some places have have "passed laws" to regulate it but just because a law is passed that doesnt really mean much. Hell there are laws against drugs yet people still get them. I think the regulations are completely futile because again bitcoin is an unregulated. There is no central bitcoin bank. No country owns it. Governments are trying to treat it like other forms of money but you cant. Its a beautiful thing but also thats why the risks are out there. since its not backed by anything there is no recourse.
Old 12-27-2016
Banned

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
I agree some places have have "passed laws" to regulate it but just because a law is passed that doesnt really mean much. Hell there are laws against drugs yet people still get them. I think the regulations are completely futile because again bitcoin is an unregulated. There is no central bitcoin bank. No country owns it. Governments are trying to treat it like other forms of money but you cant. Its a beautiful thing but also thats why the risks are out there. since its not backed by anything there is no recourse.
LOL, so you think your paper money is safer because it is backed by what? gold..? or just a promise?
Old 12-27-2016

Didnt say that. Im merely referring to the open nature of bitcoin as opposed to the closed nature of paper money. Governments control that whereas bitcoin is controlled by the community. Bitcoin rises and lowers based solely on what people want to pay for it. Why it being "regulated" or "manipulated" isnt a problem. You cant just create more bitcoins the way you can paper money. You cant just horde bitcoins to falsely manipulate the price or create a monopoly. If suddenly the US "banned" bitcoin id just buy it from another country and wouldnt have to worry about it. My statements are merely refering to the crowd of people saying "oh its going to get banned" or "it will be regulated soon"
Old 12-28-2016
Threadstarter  

1 Bitcoin equals 801.48 British Pound (980.53 US Dollar) - (at time of writing this post).

Wow - I didn't see that coming.

I'm tempted to invest

Last edited by Play; 12-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Im thinking this is a good time to start my PP > BTC exchange.
Old 12-30-2016

Longevity: 73%

Nice thread Play.

Coinbase says they hope to be able to allow users to purchase Bitcoin using PayPal in the future I hope that happens seeing how you can now sell Bitcoin to Coinbase funding PayPal.
Old 12-30-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret storm View Post
Nice thread Play.

Coinbase says they hope to be able to allow users to purchase Bitcoin using PayPal in the future I hope that happens seeing how you can now sell Bitcoin to Coinbase funding PayPal.
Cheers!

You US chaps can also sign up to https://www.shiftpayments.com/coinbase and get a physical card. Then use the card to purchase in shops and use your coinbase balance (I presume). Its not available in the UK, so can't comment much on it.
Old 01-02-2017

Longevity: 58%

just went up to a 1,000.00