Forced into going stealth, should I worry about collections from ebay account only? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 01-04-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 42%
Default Forced into going stealth, should I worry about collections from ebay account only?

I bought the stealth guide a long time ago, have been researching the process for quite some time with a game plan laid out, but decided not to take the plunge since things were still going well on my seller account that I've had for many years now.

Today, the straw was broken. I sold an item last month for $885 and the buyer claimed it was counterfeit and requested a return on the 19th of December. After 10 days, there was no activity on the tracking for the return label I provided so I called ebay on the 29th and had the case closed. This morning, I get an e-mail from ebay saying that my case was re-opened by the "high value claims" department, that the return was delivered to me, and that I needed to refund the buyer. After calling and speaking to a "high value claims" rep, he quoted a completely different tracking number with a different address in my zip code saying it was signed for by someone named Jessica (I'm a male). He was insistent on me sending a refund so I decided right then and there that I'm NOT going to lose out on that much money (I'm just a casual seller) and it's time to go stealth.

Now, I've already closed out my paypal account which did have my SSN listed. My SSN was not provided to ebay at all, so am I at risk for getting a collection on my credit even if ebay does not have my SSN? Is there a chance that they will be able to get it from Paypal, even though I closed my Paypal account?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-04-2017

Default Re: Forced into going stealth, should I worry about collections from ebay account onl

YES. Your transaction goes through paypal. Lesson learned never give your social.

You need to ask for the tracking number. Dont let them strong arm you like that. They can close your account but they cant just refund without proper tracking. Although, in the end, the buyer has so many options of scamming. They first go through ebay. Then they can dispute with paypal. Then usually they can just get a charge back through their bank. Thats why I never sell anything over 300 dollars. Just not worth the scammers.
Old 01-04-2017

Default Re: Forced into going stealth, should I worry about collections from ebay account onl

Also. Closing your account means nothing. You need to take your money and close your bank account if you wanna keep your money. If not, paypal can possibly do a reversal or even a withdrawl from your account. You can dispute that with your bank but its just easier to close the account if that money is worth it to you. You may have a mark on your record. Not sure if they go that far these days.
Old 01-04-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I don't think they need your SSN to send you to collections, a Collection can still try to collect but not sure how far they can get. Closing a PayPal doesn't really mean much, you can't close it and re-open one with the same info....PayPal stores every bit of data ever entered on their site.

If you do go stealth, you can use completely new info. I would suggest you get the Ebay stealth guide to get started.
Old 01-04-2017
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the reply. I've already purchased the guide, as the first 5 words of my post indicate. I've got a plan laid out about stealth from this point forward, I'm just not sure if abandoning my old ebay account with 885 dollars owed after the forced scam refund processes will come back to bite me in the ass later by showing up as a collection account on my credit report. I worry that ebay might ask Paypal for my SSN, and then sell the debt to a creditor.

The only other option I can think of is to create a stealth Paypal account, link it to my ebay seller account, and let the forced refund process through that and then just never log on to it.

Last edited by xdcc_send; 01-05-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

If PayPal has your SSN....then yes, they can come after you. Ebay and PayPal still share information.
Old 01-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

If it went actually as you say it did, then there is no way way you should pay the balance!

You should inform the buyer and ebay that you are starting a postal investigation and you should file a police report and submit it.

who is the person that signed for it, maybe a innocent person, as they probably do not personally know someone in your area - this person can be contacted officially... unless you were targeted for your area specifically and the are an accomplice.

I reckon ebay will not pursue you if you go down these official channels, you probably will not get your account back though. Keep everything about the tracking all comms with postal services etc, in case collections come knocking. Also so you can dispute and sue if anything happens to your credit.

You also then have the option alternatively to pay collections - but at least if you do not pay now, there is a chance they will not pursue and so it is worth waiting....

I agree they are trying to strong-arm you, and they either are chancing you will pay or a low-level employee/s are just not able or bothered to do any different.

It is you who should be annoyed, not them, you have had your account in real details taken away and all this trouble, when there is enough reasonable doubt that this is a scam....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-05-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdcc_send View Post
I bought the stealth guide a long time ago, have been researching the process for quite some time with a game plan laid out, but decided not to take the plunge since things were still going well on my seller account that I've had for many years now.
Make sure you speak to aspkin for subscribed access if you have got the stealth guide and such