shipping from a different zip code than the one on package - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-01-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default shipping from a different zip code than the one on package

Is it true that if you ship using a return address zip code drastically different than the PO that checks-in your mail, that this can cause issues with USPS?

(for example, if your return address is based in Cali, but you check in your mail at a Florida USPS)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-01-2017

Longevity: 69%
Default Re: shipping from a different zip code than the one on package

I'm not 100% sure, but I think USPS will be catching on to these as of lately with a new system they have.
Old 08-01-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

YES. It can cause huge issues for you because your postage isn't accurate.

See the thread someone else just created this morning regarding USPS's new AVS system.

Origin zip code makes a difference when calculating cubic or per-pound Priority postage rates, so it definitely matters. It costs much more to ship a .2 cubic package Priority Mail 1000 miles away than it does to ship the same package 50 miles away.

EDIT: "APV" is what the new USPS system is called, and it's intended to weed out this exact sort of postal fraud.
Old 08-01-2017
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
YES. It can cause huge issues for you because your postage isn't accurate.

See the thread someone else just created this morning regarding USPS's new AVS system.

Origin zip code makes a difference when calculating cubic or per-pound Priority postage rates, so it definitely matters. It costs much more to ship a .2 cubic package Priority Mail 1000 miles away than it does to ship the same package 50 miles away.

EDIT: "APV" is what the new USPS system is called, and it's intended to weed out this exact sort of postal fraud.
What if your postage is accurate? I mostly ship Flat Rate and first class which is same cost everywhere. Would this cause any issues?

(endicia has been notifying me about APV, seems like they're going to retroactively charge customers for missing postage.. doesn't affect me tbh)
Old 08-01-2017
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
I mostly ship Flat Rate and first class which is same cost everywhere.

That's the case for the majority of shippers since you only get cubic rates with commercial plus pricing. Even if your postage is accurate it can cause issues. There was a thread here a few years ago about a guy who had problems with USPS because of "stealth" return addresses. USPS told him he has to be registered with the postal service as a dropshipper in order to ship packages with return addresses other than his own. I'm assuming the reason is accountability. They want you to register as a dropshipper so they can trace a shipment back to you if they ever discover anything illegal.

If you're already using a 3rd party postage provider, why not put an accurate return address on your packages?
Old 08-01-2017

Longevity: 78%

correct me if I'm wrong, but you can change the Ship from zipcode, while having a completely different return zipcode. Therefor I see absolutely no reason why the post office you're dropping off, would have a problem, because the " ship from zipcode" would be exactly the same as the post office drop off zipcode.
Old 08-01-2017

Longevity: 72%

Let's parse the logic on this:

Using an address that isn't yours for mailing has always been illegal, so there's no change there. That's why the 'stealth' address was a problem.

If you open a PO Box, or even change your mailing address, you must show ID to confirm your identity, it's been that way forever.

If you ship USPS First Class or Priority Flat Rate origination zip won't/doesn't matter. A label ( which is a stamp ) printed anywhere can be mailed from anywhere.

Priority zone rates would be an issue if you're pretending to ship from a zone other than the zip origination, because that would effect cost, and it would appear to be fraud.

I travel 3-400 miles regularly and ship from places far away from the origination zone and I've never had a problem yet. But I never use zone shipping so it doesn't matter.

A quick search of the internet and postal regs show no requirement for all drop-shippers to 'register with the USPS', and this makes no sense. If you have AZ fulfill your shipments do you have to 'register with the USPS' to use their fulfillment service?
Old 08-02-2017

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 52%

If you want to contain this problem, simply change the stealth zip to your local mailing zip within 50 miles. This will eliminate any surcharge or confusion of zones. There are tons of zips within your range of acceptance without being outside cost of zone.
Old 08-02-2017

Excellent point, if you're worried do that.
Old 08-02-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post

A quick search of the internet and postal regs show no requirement for all drop-shippers to 'register with the USPS', and this makes no sense. If you have AZ fulfill your shipments do you have to 'register with the USPS' to use their fulfillment service?
I don't have a USPS.com link but I was sharing info I've read on this forum over the years. I've always used stamps.com so my packages have accurate return addresses and this has never been an issue.

Person got in trouble with USPS in this thread :
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...n-address.html

Don't have time right now to dig for more threads but I know for certain there was one a while back where a guy specifically mentioned USPS telling him to register as a dropshipper. I wouldn't just throw out misleading information.

Don't FBA packages ship with an Amazon return address? I'm failing to see how that's a valid example of this scenario...

Last edited by phaz0rz; 08-02-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2017

Didn't mean to imply you were careless or misleading...

I simply take stories about 'an unknown postal clerk somewhere said XX' as worth viewing guardedly...

And as I said, you've never been allowed to use an address that isn't 'yours' via USPS.

I was simply using AZ as an example of what many people use as a drop shipper, and the address may be an AZ warehouse, but I'd guess virtually nobody who uses AZ to fulfill orders 'registers as a drop shipper' with the USPS, true?