ebay vs website traffic - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 05-19-2009
rafc

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default ebay vs website traffic

Hi guys,

I am just sick of ebay and the ridiculous fees. I looked into amazon but for my category they are charging $40 a month and 20% (yes twenty!) on final value fees.

Therefore, it would just be better to pay to have my own website made.

But I'm worried about traffic. Others in the forum say they have great sales from their websites after they moved from ebay, but others have just 1 or 2 per month. How much traffic could I expect, if I got good SEO for high positioning on Google with appropriate keywords? Could I possibly surpass my ebay sales? What are your experiences? (For those who have successfully broken away from ebay!)

Thanks,

rafc
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-19-2009

Longevity: 91%

i alway want to make a website but never get round to making one
it seem such a hard job
i can get the ecommerce website templates
i know you have to buy domain and buy web hosting (Browser Update Page)
but then i don't know how to set everthing up
Old 05-19-2009
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 95%

Only 2% make it big with thier websites, 20-30% make it ok. And the rest fail.
IT ain't easy as u think for a website. Try working it out with ebay, they got loads of traffic already.
Old 05-19-2009

i'm doing really well on ebay
but a website would be less hassle then ebay and could run ebay on the side
but it seems to be such hard work
Old 05-19-2009
rafc

Yes it is hard work and the time it would take to learn how to build a website and make one myself is too much. However, if you go to Elance | Hire professionals. Outsource work. Get jobs done by independent professionals, freelancers, and contractors. you can hire people to do it for you. If you look for providers from India, they work for very cheap. You can get a website made for around $300, that's all inclusive - logo designs, shopping cart integration, membership/login features, SEO etc etc. Domains and hosting together can be bought with unlimited traffic for no more than $100 a year. I have already had one website made by my current provider working in Bangladesh, for just $300. It looks very professional and he and his team is my great secret, I want to use their skills again to be free of ebay with a new website selling products I currently sell on ebay, but I am wondering about the traffic. I was going to go to amazon but... 20% is ridiculous. Anyone??
Old 05-19-2009

do you talk to them over phone ?
or by email
Old 05-19-2009
rafc

lol -- by email. They are very responsive and professional
Old 05-20-2009

Longevity: 90%
Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafc View Post
lol -- by email. They are very responsive and professional
Can you PM me your website, for an example of their work. Also; are you willing to reveal this company?

Old 05-20-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

Starting your own website is pretty easy, the only thing that took me a lot of time when I first started was configuring my site to how I liked it. There are many ways to get targeted traffic to your website once it's up and running, Google Adwords for one.

I wrote an ebook on this about a month back, I haven't really promoted it yet as I've been busy with another project, but it basically shows a person with no experience how to start their own online business from beginning to end and how to get targeted traffic to it. Check it out here >> Webmaster Blueprint – Learn How to Build & Market Your Own Business Step By Step!
Old 05-20-2009

i was quoted £1000 for a profesional looking ecommerce website with full credit card and debit card payments accepted.
and £500 for a simple website paypal accepting website
Old 05-20-2009
rafc

aspkin, so are you saying, it CAN be done? I'm just worried about spending money on a website that gets no traffic.

ebay, on elance you put up your project and you get various proposals from providers. if you restrict your preferences (filter) by location, select only india and the far east, then you will get the good prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ebay (05-20-2009)
Old 05-20-2009
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 95%

Yes starting it is easy, but the hard part is getting loads of
Traffic.
Old 05-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafc View Post
ebay, on elance you put up your project and you get various proposals from providers. if you restrict your preferences (filter) by location, select only india and the far east, then you will get the good prices.
i' will give it a go elance see if i can get a good deal
Old 05-20-2009
Administrator

Yes, I mean anyone can build you a website, but do they really know what they're doing? Setting up a website that takes credit cards is easy as pie, well I've never cooked a pie, but I'm assuming it's easy because I hear things are easy as pie all the time... anyway it's easy!

For $500 you can have a professional website built yourself in just a week or two. But it does take work to get targeted traffic, and if you don't know what you're doing there you won't get anywhere.

In Webmaster Blueprint I detail how to setup your own website from scratch, and then market it for Targeted traffic.

Anyway, it's version one right now, I have more planned with it in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Old 05-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%

The hardest thing about a website is getting the traffic. Like if someone went on google and typed in your item your selling, you want your website to come up on the first 1 or 2 pages, not page 12-13. Or even be advertised on the side a page.

I found that was the hardest thing. I tried to use adwords and such, but it didnt seem to work. I only got like 4-5 sells a month. It was nice to have both ebay and a website going at the same time. I must say I didnt put a lot of effort into my website b/c I was getting WAAYY more sales on ebay, I didnt see a point and I actually gave up and went back to ebay.

I think its good to have a backup merchant account beside paypal, but for a particular item, I would say ebay over a website.
Old 05-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
The hardest thing about a website is getting the traffic. Like if someone went on google and typed in your item your selling, you want your website to come up on the first 1 or 2 pages, not page 12-13. Or even be advertised on the side a page.

I found that was the hardest thing. I tried to use adwords and such, but it didnt seem to work. I only got like 4-5 sells a month. It was nice to have both ebay and a website going at the same time. I must say I didnt put a lot of effort into my website b/c I was getting WAAYY more sales on ebay, I didnt see a point and I actually gave up and went back to ebay.

I think its good to have a backup merchant account beside paypal, but for a particular item, I would say ebay over a website.
Why would you stop selling on your website though? I mean... 4 extra sales is better than 0.

Eventually if you kept working on getting traffic to your site a few times a week, I think your site would do alright. Never give up on something that can get you away from ebay!
Old 05-20-2009

i have already had some good offers from india and pakistan from elance

what is the best cart which you can accept credit and debit cards from straight to your bank account ?

instead of paypal
Old 05-20-2009

what is a good merchant account for the U.K

that will work with authorize.net
Old 05-21-2009
rafc

I've found merchant accounts to be the hardest part. Some charge ridiculous fees. Worldpay is popular and reliable but their fees are really high. CCnow seems a lot cheaper.

I'm assuming getting targeted traffic = SEO?

aspkin if I could buy your book I would, but I've already bought one of your books. It was good but what with the website and costs associated with that, plus zero ebay sales, I literally have nothing left. All I have is my provider's word that his SEO is good and will work.
Old 05-21-2009
Administrator

I hope so rafc, really you can't count of your 'providers' SEO alone to get you through. Trust me, I've been there and done that. They're SEO comes down to submitting your website to a dozen search engines that's about it. Now if they generate you 100 backlinks on high page ranked websites using your researched niche keywords, then you'll have something. But I'm guessing you haven't done very much niche/keyword research yet, most new webmasters don't. Good luck on your website though, the first sale is always the best one.
Old 05-21-2009

Longevity: 90%
Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
Starting your own website is pretty easy, the only thing that took me a lot of time when I first started was configuring my site to how I liked it. There are many ways to get targeted traffic to your website once it's up and running, Google Adwords for one.

I wrote an ebook on this about a month back, I haven't really promoted it yet as I've been busy with another project, but it basically shows a person with no experience how to start their own online business from beginning to end and how to get targeted traffic to it. Check it out here >> Webmaster Blueprint – Learn How to Build & Market Your Own Business Step By Step!
Aspkin,

I've been meaning to ask you about this. Does it focus on using DreamWeaver, Frontpage, etc., or is it directed towards site creation at places like AuctivaCommerce?

I have tried a few different places, but haven't found one that fits my needs properly. Not to mention that they are rather expensive compared to doing it from scratch. I carry many sizes, and I need my website to reflect that. Most of the places, you have to list all sizes in the description, or create a listing per size. Therefore, I end up having 3-4 listings of same product, just in different sizes.

I would prefer to do it all from scratch, and have tons of HTML & DB experience. Problem is, I don't know how to tie them together, so that my inventory syncs properly.
Old 05-21-2009
Administrator

It's directed towards shopping carts, self hosted ones. The best shopping solution you can get as they're highly configurable, works with multiple gateways, has all the features you need without monthly fees.