PayPal Tax ID request - when to stop selling? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-31-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default PayPal Tax ID request - when to stop selling?

2018 is going to be my first year selling on stealth accounts and I was reading that PP will send you a Tax ID request 3 times if your on track to cross the threshold but I need some clarification on when to stop selling on the stealth account if I get the request. Do I stop selling on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd request?
I have read that it's possible to continue selling after your 1st request, but is this advisable or should I stop selling until next year? I read that on the 3rd request your account gets limited and your basically f****d unless you provide a SSN/EIN.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-31-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%
Default Re: PayPal Tax ID request - when to stop selling?

Get EIN so you can continue business as usual.
Old 12-31-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 91%

I am not sure, but just make sure you start to transfer money out of your Paypal before it gets limited. You should be good up until the 3rd request. I am in the same boat now, just got the 2nd request for SSN.

I do not want to give Paypal my business EIN number.
Old 12-31-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
I am not sure, but just make sure you start to transfer money out of your Paypal before it gets limited. You should be good up until the 3rd request. I am in the same boat now, just got the 2nd request for SSN.

I do not want to give Paypal my business EIN number.
Thanks for the fast reply. My question to you is, if I stop selling altogether after getting the 1st request, will I still receive a 2nd request and possibly a 3rd request?
Old 12-31-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
Get EIN so you can continue business as usual.
I prefer not to
Old 12-31-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellSimon View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. My question to you is, if I stop selling altogether after getting the 1st request, will I still receive a 2nd request and possibly a 3rd request?
Yes stopping your sales won't stop the requests. They will continue to send until they receive it. It has happened to me before, but I just prepare and move on to another account.
Old 12-31-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%

have 10 accounts running to rotate...
Old 01-01-2018

Longevity: 42%

Quote:
Posting this to put a little info out there, from my experience and scare with this issue.

I received a single SSN/Tax request email in late Dec 2016, stopped selling until 2017 and then slowly started selling again at end of Jan or start of Feb, and sold all rest of year in 2017. I did not sell nearly as much in 2017 as I did in 2016, maybe 45-50 sales coming into around $5,000 give or take, and have yet to receive anything other than that single request in Dec. 2016 and the account seems OK.

The "reminder" bell was highlighted red up top in Dec 2016 and for maybe 3-4 months in 2017 (and click-thru notice on login until near end of Jan I think). But it's not a "red or highlighted" reminder up top anymore, only a single link of left side that says "Resolve a problem in our resolution center" I have not clicked on that link or the reminder since maybe February, so not 100% certain it still says please submit info etc, but I'm assuming it does. The "bell" reminder up top for message is no longer highlighted anymore, it was for at least 3-4 maybe 5 months into 2017, but not now and no emails since that initial request in Dec 2016.

Hope to keep it this way and remain under the radar, I don't really sell enough quantity or sell for enough $$ overall to be able to afford setting up a stealth account (wifi + PO Box etc)

So, while it is scary to live through, it does not always mean it's the end of the account when you get that first request. Maybe only pushing it to that second request makes the requests persist and increase in urgency?
Old 01-01-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2Bay View Post
Posting this to put a little info out there, from my experience and scare with this issue.

I received a single SSN/Tax request email in late Dec 2016, stopped selling until 2017 and then slowly started selling again at end of Jan or start of Feb, and sold all rest of year in 2017. I did not sell nearly as much in 2017 as I did in 2016, maybe 45-50 sales coming into around $5,000 give or take, and have yet to receive anything other than that single request in Dec. 2016 and the account seems OK.

The "reminder" bell was highlighted red up top in Dec 2016 and for maybe 3-4 months in 2017 (and click-thru notice on login until near end of Jan I think). But it's not a "red or highlighted" reminder up top anymore, only a single link of left side that says "Resolve a problem in our resolution center" I have not clicked on that link or the reminder since maybe February, so not 100% certain it still says please submit info etc, but I'm assuming it does. The "bell" reminder up top for message is no longer highlighted anymore, it was for at least 3-4 maybe 5 months into 2017, but not now and no emails since that initial request in Dec 2016.

Hope to keep it this way and remain under the radar, I don't really sell enough quantity or sell for enough $$ overall to be able to afford setting up a stealth account (wifi + PO Box etc)

So, while it is scary to live through, it does not always mean it's the end of the account when you get that first request. Maybe only pushing it to that second request makes the requests persist and increase in urgency?
Thanks for the reply. Based on your experience, I'll first continue selling through the first request and until I get the 2nd request then see what happens. Then on another account I will stop selling after the first request and continue selling during the next year.
Old 01-01-2018

Longevity: 42%

Great, sounds like a good way we can test if 2nd email request is what forces the 3rd to come no matter what followed with account lock-down. Keep us updated on this thread, I'll keep checking back in to see how things go over next few months.

I stressed for a long time thinking that first email request meant the account would soon be screwed after a month or three of ignoring the initial request. Hopefully it's never forced on this account, I can't provide and don't know how I'd be able to move forward.
Old 01-01-2018

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 72%

Just ran into this problem for the first time on one of my accounts... just so happens to be my best one. Can I add an EIN if my account details don't match my own? (Different name completely, different address, etc.) I was under the impression that it resets after the calendar year so I ignored the requests.
Old 01-02-2018

Also, say I do give them an EIN number... the 1099 would just be for the 2017 year, right? I'm not sure, but I think as of right now it's a personal account. I had gotten the same e-mails last year but I guess I only got 2 even though I'm pretty sure I hit the 200/20k threshold... thus, why I thought it was ok to do the same this year. I realize that I might have to give this account up possibly if this doesn't work out so it could be a costly lesson considering it's my best account and it's a powerseller but it's not like I don't have a stable of accounts to fall back on.
Old 01-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjump View Post
Also, say I do give them an EIN number... the 1099 would just be for the 2017 year, right? I'm not sure, but I think as of right now it's a personal account. I had gotten the same e-mails last year but I guess I only got 2 even though I'm pretty sure I hit the 200/20k threshold... thus, why I thought it was ok to do the same this year. I realize that I might have to give this account up possibly if this doesn't work out so it could be a costly lesson considering it's my best account and it's a powerseller but it's not like I don't have a stable of accounts to fall back on.
From what I've read on the forum, it is possible to add an EIN even if the info doesn't match. I have also read that if you only received 2 requests, the account should return back to normal in a couple of months after the new year (some time after the 1099's are distributed out, after April perhaps...)
Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
From what I've read on the forum, it is possible to add an EIN even if the info doesn't match. I have also read that if you only received 2 requests, the account should return back to normal in a couple of months after the new year (some time after the 1099's are distributed out, after April perhaps...)
The last e-mail that I received from them was titled "Your account access has been limited. Please submit tax ID info to restore access."
Old 01-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Yeah try getting an ein and attaching it
Old 01-02-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%

Why not stop selling before you come even close to the treshold and operate with multiple accounts?

People always like to work in content, but they don't realize that the little inconveniences actually will do away the bigger issues in the future.

It's like taking the time to educate and discipline your children when they are young, so that 10-14 years down the road they don't turn into monsters
Old 01-02-2018
MU

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
I prefer not to
Why? Are you selling shady items or wishing to avoid taxes? If you can get an EIN and continue to sell at a decent volume...why not?
Old 01-02-2018

Didn't read any of the above posts, but all my accounts got hit with the EIN request this year.

You can receive payments after the first request. And withdraw.
You can receive payments after the second request. And withdraw.
You cannot receive payments after the third request. You can withdraw.

This is for US accounts, at least.
Old 01-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Why? Are you selling shady items or wishing to avoid taxes? If you can get an EIN and continue to sell at a decent volume...why not?
I don't want to deal with the trouble of explaining to my accountant why I have so many paypal accounts lol
Old 01-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
Didn't read any of the above posts, but all my accounts got hit with the EIN request this year.

You can receive payments after the first request. And withdraw.
You can receive payments after the second request. And withdraw.
You cannot receive payments after the third request. You can withdraw.

This is for US accounts, at least.
Are you able to avoid the 2nd request if you STOP selling after receiving the 1st request?
And are you able to avoid the 3rd request if you STOP selling after receiving the 2nd request?
I just want to avoid the 3rd request at all costs, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that...
Old 01-02-2018

Your accountant doesn't give a **** how many PP's you have.

All you have to give him is the total numbers, categorized by expense and income totals.

There's no mandatory 'three email' rule. Once the clock starts ticking, even if you never get even the first email, things are going happen on a fixed time schedule whether you get three emails or not. Stopping taking payments won't stop PP's clock.

Nickopedia's comments are accurate and align with my general experience.

Frankly, it shouldn't be a matter of deep concern if you're doing the right thing.

This degree of worry and avoidance sounds as if you're trying to avoid paying taxes, and that's a really bad idea on every level.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018

Is there a limit on how many EIN's you can get? And is it correct that the name and address on the PP account can be completely different (made up) from your real info?