Can a Buyer dispute outside of ebay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-29-2009
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default Can a Buyer dispute outside of ebay?

say I sell something to a buyer thru an email and they pay with paypal.

Can they dispute it and try to get their money back?

tia
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-29-2009

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

Yes they can dispute it. An item does not have to be sold through ebay to be able to dispute it.
Old 05-29-2009

Longevity: 98%

If it's not through eBay, they can only dispute delivery through paypal and the rest they must do a cc chargeback or tell their bank "the echeck is unauthorized" (they can't dispute anything else through echeck).
Old 05-29-2009

Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

They can do a Not as Described through paypal also.
Old 05-29-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

^^It wont hold up, Paypal will automatically decide in favor of the seller
Old 05-30-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 91%
Default .

yaw -- really?

Thats very interesting!
Old 05-30-2009

Longevity: 93%

Lakeman,

I am not sure where you are getting your information. Paypal terms, written on the website, do not allow a not as described dispute for a non ebay item...
Old 05-30-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

There are two types of protection offered by paypal for buyers. There is Buyer Protection When you shop on ebay AND Buyer Compliant Policy
for when you shop outside. There are differences, of course.

Under paypal's Buyer Compliant Policy when you shop outside ebay you have some redress now. Not a guarantee for a buyer but...
13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

1. What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Receive (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.

Even though you may escalate an Item Not Received Dispute to a Claim, you are not guaranteed recovery. If the Claim is decided in your favor, your recovery is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account.
2. What is the process for the Buyer Complaint Policy?

Similar to PayPal Buyer Protection, you must file a Dispute in the PayPal Resolution Center within 45 days of the date you sent the payment. Once you have done so, you should attempt to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller.
3. What happens if I am unable to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller?

You may escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days of the date you filed the Dispute. PayPal will make a final decision for some - but not all - Claims. You should not escalate a Dispute for Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) to a Claim because PayPal will not make a decision on a SNAD Claim under the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy.
4. What if PayPal makes a final decision in my favor?

If PayPal makes a final decision in your favor, we will collect any available funds in the seller’s PayPal balance at that time. However, recovery is not guaranteed and is limited only to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account. Any amounts collected from the seller will be placed in your Account.

This is slightly different from TOS that existed say 9 months ago. It would be worthwhile to read thro' current terms to keep in touch with paypal
Old 05-30-2009

Thanks for posting that GreenBean.

Tmiles, that is incorrect. I have sold an item, not through ebay, and the buyer did a Not as described. So I'm not sure where you're getting your info.
Old 05-30-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^it was the case quite some time back. paypal & ebay gave the (supposedly) best protection. (tongue in cheek & nose growing longer as i type lies)
Old 06-02-2009
Banned

Longevity: 95%

Actually, it is on the case by case basis, but general they flat deny "not as describe" on non-ebay purchase. I know because I have had it go both ways on me. Brought item outside ebay, file not as described got we do not protect for "not as described" on non-ebay items" Then sold an item outside ebay and got "not as described complaint" and they won. When I threw their own email and policy back in there face, they go well it is really case by case and since they paid with credit card, they wanted to avoid a chargeback.
Old 06-03-2009

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig View Post
say I sell something to a buyer thru an email and they pay with paypal.

Can they dispute it and try to get their money back?

tia
yes, they can file dispute or chargeback