making money trading/holding alt coins - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > CryptoCurrency

CryptoCurrency Discuss all CryptoCurrencies / coins and their use for personal or business purposes. Bitcoin (BTC) is possibly the best known but there are numerous crypto currencies, this is the forum to discuss them all.

Old 01-06-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default making money trading/holding alt coins

Here me out on this

If what we're experiencing with Bitcoin lasts for a few more years (the overall bull run), you may make a larger return by also holding certain alt coins. I'm not talking about obvious scam coins, but safer altcoins such as Ethereum and Litecoin. Alt coins have been out performing Bitcoin most of last year.

What I've noticed in the last year of trading is money usually flows into bitcoin, it rallies for a period of time, along with some of the alt coins, then bitcoin consolidates while money flows into alt coins. Then after alt coins pump for a short period, then money usually flows back into Bitcoin, while alt coins plummet. This cycle has been happening the entire time I've been tracking crypto (1 year~).

What keeps happening every cycle is more money is being brought into the market if you watch the overall crypto market cap increase. The overall crypto market cap has nearly doubled every month for the past 3 months

I wouldn't advise trading more than 30% of your current Bitcoin holdings into alt coins (assuming you're only holding Bitcoin). If you research the top 100 coins and make a list of the safer ones with the better community, those will most likely keep rallying with Bitcoin as Bitcoin continues to grow. I spent weeks reading about the top 100 coins and choose coins that have a solid community, and haven't hyped/rallied as much as others. Most of the coins I hold have already had a crazy rally but I'm still holding them. So far, its been more profitable to buy and hold alt coins, than holding Bitcoin (by a pretty big margin). Currently holding BTC (60%), LTC, XMR, NEO, VeChain, Walton Coin, Vertcoin & Binance Coin. All of the alt coins have out performed bitcoin by 3-15x in the same period of time.

If Bitcoin continues to rally for at least a year, all the other safer alt coins will continue to rally as well, there's no reason they wouldn't follow Bitcoin up the charts. These alt coins have a much smaller marketcap than bitcoin, so their value is more likely to multiply by 5-20x in the same period your Bitcoin value doubles. Once Lightning rolls out for Bitcoin (instant, cheap transactions) it may be a risky strategy to hold any alt coins, but until then I think you'll make a pretty sexy return diversifying and catching some of these monster rallies while the Bitcoin networks continue to be congested. People are hyping on anything right now, pick a safe/solid alt coin and you'll see what I mean. There's no reason Ripple just went from 0.22c to $3.70 in the last week or so. There's some silly shenanigans going on.

There is no doubt money is currently pouring into the crypto markets, but these rallies are likely not going to last long. Right now you'll have a hard time registering and getting verified on any of the larger exchanges. They are receiving customers/volume like they never had before. Bittrex and Binance have stopped accepting new registrations. Gemini/Gdax and most other exchanges are experiencing really long verification delays. The way I see it is the crypto marketcap is 800B (all coins, not just Bitcoin) and golds marketcap is 7.8T, I'd say we got a pretty solid chance of hitting half the market cap of gold (~4T) before I advise running for the hills. Assuming the crypto market cap continues to doubles every month (on this current hype train), it would reach half the gold market cap in 4-5 months.

I was never around for the .com stock market crash but I'm willing to bet it went pretty similar. Every stock with a fresh new website was seeing monster returns. I think Bitcoin is here to stay but for the other 90% of alt coins, its acting exactly like the .com market crash. Almost every single alt coin has rallied to some ridiculous return, and most of them are vaporware. You're also not getting equity or stock from the companies coin you're investing in, you're only getting crypto coins. Its chaos and people are buying every coin with a name. I don't think this will last long, so if you do trade altcoins, I would always have an exit strategy lined up and ready to go. I also recommend buying back into Bitcoin with your alt coin gains once in a while when Bitcoin has a negative run. Continue to grow your Bitcoin stash is the ultimate goal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elmo For This Useful Post:
desikanjar (01-08-2018), ilcarletto (01-12-2018)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-07-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%
Default Re: making money trading/holding alt coins

I still don't understand why people are still holding bitcoin. It was introduced as a currency. It was made to buy and sell stuff with it and not as a financial investment. With these fees and extremely slow transactions its not a payment instrument anymore, while ETH and others still are. So if they don't find a way to lower the fees, I am guessing very soon people will realize that their BTC are pretty much worthless at this stage, because other payment methods are faster and cheaper.

For that reason I'm not so sure weather BTC is here to stay and invested everything in altcoins.
Old 01-07-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

@elmo - I actually agree with a lot of what you said

Quote:
you may make a larger return by also holding certain alt coins. I'm not talking about obvious scam coins, but safer altcoins such as Ethereum and Litecoin. Alt coins have been out performing Bitcoin most of last year.
Though how are you ascertaining whether a coin is a scam or not?
Old 01-07-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachilla View Post
I still don't understand why people are still holding bitcoin. It was introduced as a currency. It was made to buy and sell stuff with it and not as a financial investment. With these fees and extremely slow transactions its not a payment instrument anymore, while ETH and others still are. So if they don't find a way to lower the fees, I am guessing very soon people will realize that their BTC are pretty much worthless at this stage, because other payment methods are faster and cheaper.

For that reason I'm not so sure weather BTC is here to stay and invested everything in altcoins.
By the same logic Gold should be useless and used as paperweights even though it used to be traded as currency - and not all that long ago in historical terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to slokor For This Useful Post:
elmo (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
@elmo - I actually agree with a lot of what you said

Though how are you ascertaining whether a coin is a scam or not?
I’m just looking at the team / history / community of the coins. I wouldn’t recommend buying into a hyped ICO, those are just plain too risky. I wouldn’t even recommend buying into Ripple due to premine it had, and the crazy pump it had from the Korean exchange Bithumb. I stay away from premined coins and coins that have shady people backing them (such as BCash). But coins such as ETH will continue to grow as long as bitcoin continues to grow, the difference being the market cap is smaller so it has a higher chance of giving you bigger returns.

The further down you go on the list of the top 100 coins, the higher the risk goes (typically). But if you look into coins such as Lisk and OMG, they have a solid team behind them. Nothing shady behind them. As long as they’re working towards something, I would brand these types of coins relatively safe and they should continue to exponentially grow as long as Bitcoin continues to grow. If you’re betting on bitcoin like i am, then most solid coins should continue to grow along side.

I initially started trading alt coins at 10% of my bitcoin holdings. That initial 10% has turned into 45% of my total holdings based on the values the alt coins have gone up, without me having to invest more money. The growth is significantly larger than Bitcoin, but so is the risk. As long as you’re picking safe and solid coins (to the best of your ability) and you got a solid exit strategy setup to exchange alts back to BTC, I think you’ll be good to go.

It feels like this is the time to be making some serious cash on these overly hyped and speculative markets

It’s bubblicious mayhem

Last edited by elmo; 01-07-2018 at 08:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elmo For This Useful Post:
desikanjar (01-08-2018), ilcarletto (01-12-2018), Play (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
By the same logic Gold should be useless and used as paperweights even though it used to be traded as currency - and not all that long ago in historical terms.
Indeed, I thought about gold as well. However if you buy gold or sell gold you don't have to come up with tremendous fees for doing so. Also gold has been established a few years longer. This "Bitcoin is the Gold of Cryptos" thing has started since the price and its fees rose to the sky.
Old 01-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

elmo, good informative post!!

What's your take on LiteCoin, should I keep it or sell it? I can't really see it rising, after Charlie Lee sold his LiteCoins

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Here me out on this

If what we're experiencing with Bitcoin lasts for a few more years (the overall bull run), you may make a larger return by also holding certain alt coins. I'm not talking about obvious scam coins, but safer altcoins such as Ethereum and Litecoin. Alt coins have been out performing Bitcoin most of last year.

What I've noticed in the last year of trading is money usually flows into bitcoin, it rallies for a period of time, along with some of the alt coins, then bitcoin consolidates while money flows into alt coins. Then after alt coins pump for a short period, then money usually flows back into Bitcoin, while alt coins plummet. This cycle has been happening the entire time I've been tracking crypto (1 year~).

What keeps happening every cycle is more money is being brought into the market if you watch the overall crypto market cap increase. The overall crypto market cap has nearly doubled every month for the past 3 months

I wouldn't advise trading more than 30% of your current Bitcoin holdings into alt coins (assuming you're only holding Bitcoin). If you research the top 100 coins and make a list of the safer ones with the better community, those will most likely keep rallying with Bitcoin as Bitcoin continues to grow. I spent weeks reading about the top 100 coins and choose coins that have a solid community, and haven't hyped/rallied as much as others. Most of the coins I hold have already had a crazy rally but I'm still holding them. So far, its been more profitable to buy and hold alt coins, than holding Bitcoin (by a pretty big margin). Currently holding BTC (60%), LTC, XMR, NEO, VeChain, Walton Coin, Vertcoin & Binance Coin. All of the alt coins have out performed bitcoin by 3-15x in the same period of time.

If Bitcoin continues to rally for at least a year, all the other safer alt coins will continue to rally as well, there's no reason they wouldn't follow Bitcoin up the charts. These alt coins have a much smaller marketcap than bitcoin, so their value is more likely to multiply by 5-20x in the same period your Bitcoin value doubles. Once Lightning rolls out for Bitcoin (instant, cheap transactions) it may be a risky strategy to hold any alt coins, but until then I think you'll make a pretty sexy return diversifying and catching some of these monster rallies while the Bitcoin networks continue to be congested. People are hyping on anything right now, pick a safe/solid alt coin and you'll see what I mean. There's no reason Ripple just went from 0.22c to $3.70 in the last week or so. There's some silly shenanigans going on.

There is no doubt money is currently pouring into the crypto markets, but these rallies are likely not going to last long. Right now you'll have a hard time registering and getting verified on any of the larger exchanges. They are receiving customers/volume like they never had before. Bittrex and Binance have stopped accepting new registrations. Gemini/Gdax and most other exchanges are experiencing really long verification delays. The way I see it is the crypto marketcap is 800B (all coins, not just Bitcoin) and golds marketcap is 7.8T, I'd say we got a pretty solid chance of hitting half the market cap of gold (~4T) before I advise running for the hills. Assuming the crypto market cap continues to doubles every month (on this current hype train), it would reach half the gold market cap in 4-5 months.

I was never around for the .com stock market crash but I'm willing to bet it went pretty similar. Every stock with a fresh new website was seeing monster returns. I think Bitcoin is here to stay but for the other 90% of alt coins, its acting exactly like the .com market crash. Almost every single alt coin has rallied to some ridiculous return, and most of them are vaporware. You're also not getting equity or stock from the companies coin you're investing in, you're only getting crypto coins. Its chaos and people are buying every coin with a name. I don't think this will last long, so if you do trade altcoins, I would always have an exit strategy lined up and ready to go. I also recommend buying back into Bitcoin with your alt coin gains once in a while when Bitcoin has a negative run. Continue to grow your Bitcoin stash is the ultimate goal
Old 01-10-2018
Threadstarter  

I don't think you'll see explosive gains in Litecoin for the near future. But its definitely on the safer buy as long as you are betting Bitcoin will continue to rise. Who knows though, it doesn't hurt to hold several safe coins in case they do rally.

I think the safest coin with the best balance of potential gains at the moment is Ethereum. Most hardware wallets can store it which makes it convenient.

The Koreans are currently paying $1800 per ETH on Bithumb: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/#markets

I've been using them as an indicator of potential growth for the past few months and its been working pretty well.

Do your own due diligence though!
Old 01-10-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

I can’t see LiteCoin going up much, it’s stagnant and the highest it’s ever been is around the $300 mark, then it’s dropped ever since Charlie Lee, sold his Lite Coins. Technology wise Ether is more superior and even BitCoin uses some aspect of Ether technology.

Ether will deffo go up in price, so will BIt Coin Cash once it’s live on Coinbase.

BitCoin at moment is too expensive to buy, waiting for it to drop to $1000 or lower.
Quote:
I don't think you'll see explosive gains in Litecoin for the near future. But its definitely on the safer buy as long as you are betting Bitcoin will continue to rise. Who knows though, it doesn't hurt to hold several safe coins in case they do rally.

I think the safest coin with the best balance of potential gains at the moment is Ethereum. Most hardware wallets can store it which makes it convenient.

The Koreans are currently paying $1800 per ETH on Bithumb: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/#markets

I've been using them as an indicator of potential growth for the past few months and its been working pretty well.

Old 01-11-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
I can’t see LiteCoin going up much, it’s stagnant and the highest it’s ever been is around the $300 mark, then it’s dropped ever since Charlie Lee, sold his Lite Coins. Technology wise Ether is more superior and even BitCoin uses some aspect of Ether technology.
Bitcoin and Litecoin are pretty much the same thing

Litecoin was literally a copy and paste of Bitcoin - Literally.
Old 01-11-2018

Longevity: 55%

Quote:

Pretty much everything is higher priced on bithumb or am I wrong?
Old 01-12-2018

Longevity: 41%

A lot of the scam coins and small cap coins have gone on a nice run since coinsmarkets has shut down. I saw my holdings go up 300% since they've gone down the last 10 days although all my coins are stuck there.

Binance has open registrations most of the day until they fill their 250k/day quota. They're double the second largest exchange by volume.
Old 01-13-2018
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 58%

Where do you all read up on alt coins? Why didn't coinbase tell us about GDAX? Why did it take for me to find out about GDAX on this forum? Is it truly fee free?
Old 01-25-2018

Longevity: 54%

cryptocurrencies are hilarious....this one asian guy made like 500k from tron trade......showing he had 62.5 bitcoin at the time of his tron sale......and bitcoin being i believe 16k......so he claims he made a million dollars.....

I bet he did not immediately cash out all of his 62.5 bitcoin at 16k......the price now is at 10-11k that means he lost 300-400k when bitcoin dropped off a cliff.......

Last edited by H4ck; 01-25-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsky541 View Post
cryptocurrencies are hilarious....this one asian guy made like 500k from tron trade......showing he had 62.5 bitcoin at the time of his tron sale......and bitcoin being i believe 16k......so he claims he made a million dollars.....

I bet he did not immediately cash out all of his 62.5 bitcoin at 16k......the price now is at 10-11k that means he lost 300-400k when bitcoin dropped off a cliff.......
Won't be too long until its back up there
Old 01-26-2018
Banned

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachilla View Post

I agree with you on this one 110%. Some old people cannot see the future...
How to clean photos
Best image resizer
Old 01-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
I agree with you on this one 110%. Some old people cannot see the future...
How to clean photos
Best image resizer
The unconfirmed transactions is down from 110k to 62k. It's speeding up/catching up as we speak. I wouldn't say BTC is done for yet. You won't see 10 20 30 fold of your investment with btc anytime soon but I wouldn't say its stupid to have money in it. I'm sure we're going to go back to this thread in a few months and BTC is going to be at 20-50k.
Old 02-12-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

And on it goes if it is only held...
Old 02-13-2018

Longevity: 41%

https://steemit.com/crypto/@edb/dead...e-than-bitcoin

The Following User Says Thank You to duffrageous For This Useful Post:
elmo (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

@duffrageous, which of the ones on this list have you profited on?
Old 02-13-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:

Someone on here claimed HE made a million

Old 02-14-2018

Longevity: 54%

if you guys are looking to make a lot of money. I can give you the contact information to my financial advisor carlos from bitconnect. because of him i made a nice -10000% return on my money within 1 hour.

The Following User Says Thank You to H4ck For This Useful Post:
Canadianleaf (07-03-2018)