making money trading/holding alt coins - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > CryptoCurrency

CryptoCurrency Discuss all CryptoCurrencies / coins and their use for personal or business purposes. Bitcoin (BTC) is possibly the best known but there are numerous crypto currencies, this is the forum to discuss them all.

Old 02-15-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 41%
Default Re: making money trading/holding alt coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
@duffrageous, which of the ones on this list have you profited on?
I bought some Redd at 17 sat and sold at 32 sat a couple days later. I bought back in at 69 sat, rode it up to 88 sat and back down to 69 sat and sold it 3 days after that. Next morning, Mcafee pumps it up to 196 sat. If I just held, I would have made 10btc profit.

These last few days I'm checking out small coins that have mooned out of nowhere just from hitting coinmarketcap. You can follow them here and buy the dips and then get out if you'd like. I totally missed Jesus Coin the last two days because I had to run some errands and forgot to check this link:

https://coinmarketcap.com/new/
The Following User Says Thank You to duffrageous For This Useful Post:
rsot (02-15-2018)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffrageous View Post
I bought some Redd at 17 sat and sold at 32 sat a couple days later. I bought back in at 69 sat, rode it up to 88 sat and back down to 69 sat and sold it 3 days after that. Next morning, Mcafee pumps it up to 196 sat. If I just held, I would have made 10btc profit.

These last few days I'm checking out small coins that have mooned out of nowhere just from hitting coinmarketcap. You can follow them here and buy the dips and then get out if you'd like. I totally missed Jesus Coin the last two days because I had to run some errands and forgot to check this link:
https://coinmarketcap.com/new/
Nice duffrageous, what's your strategy for picking coins?
Do you start from new coins on coinmarketcap or follow twitter?
Old 03-01-2018

Pretend you're in a pump riding high and wait for that moment when it looks like everything is dumping. You usually get another mini bounce after that. This is a good coin today to look at the bounces. The goal is to just make money off the people holding right now because these alt highs don't last in this bear market.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/encrypgen/#charts

You risk losing it all of course but usually you get a good bounce when a coin that pumps is dumping.

I lost around 2 btc on ZCL today. I wanted to get out pres-snapshot, but bittrex closed trading a half hour before as promised. I couldn't execute my sell on bittrex because I was on my phone when the market reopened and had mistimed the dump price. I had a sell set for .008(snapshot taken at .009btc), but I clicked 15 seconds too early on my sell order before the market opened. I got the alert from bittrexexchange twitter that the market had reopened, but they sent the alert out about 30 seconds before it actually did. So I reread the tweet to see if it said anything I missed and when I looked at my phone again, the market was already dropping to .007 when I hit sell. I canceled the sell order at the top, but it still appeared in the order book, so I had to scroll down to cancel it there. Thirty seconds later the price was .004, so I just gave up. It ended up dropping all the way to .001 a minute later. That would have been the perfect buying opportunity, maybe even at .0015 or .002. It got a bounce back to like .0038, but i held too long and sold at .003 and then reloaded on cryptopia for .0015, but it hasn't broken that resistance point yet. My only hope now is for zcl to recover to like $50, and btcp to get to $50. I think the latter can happen, but zcl is done unless new devs decide to work on it. It hasn't even been updated with the same wallet support as zcash.
Old 03-01-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

I lost around 2 btc on ZCL today.
21.3k USD?
Old 03-01-2018

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 44%

Quote:
Same reason for the push for ZClassic. It should fork around Feb. 28, but you actually get a fork of bitcoin, BTCP or bitcoin private. People are hoping it's worth at least $100 and the devs think ZCL will be $500 at time of fork. It could be in this bull market as was predicted the last four years of the Lunar New Year.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/zclassic/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
The Zclassic fork to Bitcoin Private is a joke... It's just Rhett trying to pump his coin to buy a Lambo.

If you remember back to the Segwit2x fail when BCash first tried to take over Bitcoin Rhett was writing articles about how BCash was the true Bitcoin. That alone proves hes about making money, not the tech...

If you know how T and Z addresses work.... You would already know that 90% of all Zcash and Zclassic addresses are not private so what is going to be private about Bitcoin Private. Oh, I see, you have the option to use a Z address. But only if the place your sending from or to supports a Z address... Such B.S.

Its so obvious, come on, you get the same amount of Bitcoin Private if you own Bitcoin or Zclassic....

Noobs are like "what if Bitcoin Private is the true bitcoin"?

Who would think this would make people who never gave 2 sh1ts about Zclassic or never even hear of it before want to have some?

If you compare Zcash and Zclassic, Rhett did have a good philosophy about taking out the Dev tax. But as time went by Zcash had a bigger following with larger players in the space backing it up. Rhett realized his plain failed.. he couldnt get enough followers behind his project to take over Zcash. So why not copy and paste code he already has (Zcash had already taken code from BTC and added Zksnarks) and fork the two chains.

No new tech. Pump Zclassic and dump. Fork. Steal the Bitcoin name. Pump Bitcoin Private and Dump. Buy a big ass house.... a couple Lambos... repeat....

If there isnt an exchange that will give you your airdropped coins... You better be fast moving your Zclassic to an exchange to dump em' once the fork goes through. The way these exchanges work they will probably disable Zclassic deposits just before the fork and you'll be stuck holding the bags by the time they get em' back up.
Quote:

I lost around 2 btc on ZCL today. I wanted to get out pres-snapshot, but bittrex closed trading a half hour before as promised. I couldn't execute my sell on bittrex because I was on my phone when the market reopened and had mistimed the dump price. I had a sell set for .008(snapshot taken at .009btc), but I clicked 15 seconds too early on my sell order before the market opened. I got the alert from bittrexexchange twitter that the market had reopened, but they sent the alert out about 30 seconds before it actually did. So I reread the tweet to see if it said anything I missed and when I looked at my phone again, the market was already dropping to .007 when I hit sell. I canceled the sell order at the top, but it still appeared in the order book, so I had to scroll down to cancel it there. Thirty seconds later the price was .004, so I just gave up. It ended up dropping all the way to .001 a minute later. That would have been the perfect buying opportunity, maybe even at .0015 or .002. It got a bounce back to like .0038, but i held too long and sold at .003 and then reloaded on cryptopia for .0015, but it hasn't broken that resistance point yet. My only hope now is for zcl to recover to like $50, and btcp to get to $50. I think the latter can happen, but zcl is done unless new devs decide to work on it. It hasn't even been updated with the same wallet support as zcash.
The way these sh1tty exchanges work you cant wait to the last minute. Servers crash, deposits get lost, they get DOSed , or they just do what ever they feel like doing.. This isnt Forex.... If you lost 20k I'm truely sorry, there isnt a word strong enough to describe how f&cked up that is.

I may be making a big mistake but I gave up on sh1t coins and sh1tty exchanges all together. I'm just stock piling ETH and BTC after I lost 3 deposits on Poloniex. I was lucky enough to get 2 Pascal deposits back, but Poloniex hasnt answered my support ticket about my missing SIA Coin in 2 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to nate For This Useful Post:
elmo (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 44%

Fork of a Fork: 'Bitcoin Private' Is Here, But What's It Worth?

"Specifically, what bitcoin private is implementing - or, rather, reinstating - is zcash's "founder's fee," a line of code that allocates 20 percent of the cryptocurrency generated by mining to the zcash development team."

If I would have knowen Rhett was reinstating the Dev Tax on Bitcoin Private I would talked SOOO much more trash..... The only good thing Zclassic had going for it was Rhett took the Dev Tax out of Zcash's code.

What a sh1t show....

https://www.coindesk.com/forking-for...h-whats-worth/
Old 03-02-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

I'm with you on alt-coins. The phenomena is done and I think the scam alerts are out.

57% of ICO's fail within a year. Its a get rich quick scheme. I sold most of them at our last little ride up and made back after the bottom.

Right now, I am literally only doing bitcoin. I am trading on daily chart so I don't feel rushed. Tone Vays helped me a lot with reading charts... Plus, a few others.

At this moment I don't even hold BTC and I have a buy set up around 7k in case of another big dip. I missed this last bullish run to 11k or so.
elmo (03-02-2018)
Old 03-06-2018

I had a hard time sleeping the night before the ZCL snapshot on bittrex. I was thinking about moving my last .5 btc into ZCL on the dip on bittrex firmly believing they would succumb to the pressure and support the forked coin because it had the majority of the volume although cryptopia had around 25% of the bittrex volume that night. ZCL was trading around .008 btc on bittrex but .011 on cryptopia, so I added another .5 btc to my 1 btc stake. I really wanted to add my last .5 btc, but I saved it for binance.

Bittrex announced support for the btcp snapshot, so the price pumped all the way up to .0105. I knew there was gonna be a dip, but I decided not to sell 1 btc since that would leave me with less than half. If i had moved that other .5 btc in, I would have sold half and bought back in on the dip, but that would have only netted me around .1 btc. But I like selling half during pumps as it gets you in the habit of selling peaks and buying dips instead of holding everything thinking this time is the mega pump. The price was .0092 when I went to sleep. When I woke up, I really wanted to sell half but the price had dipped all the way to .0085. It peaked around 5 AM ET, but I was still sleeping. Now my only hope was to sell immediately after the bittrex snapshot.

I had my sell set at .008, about 10% under the snapshot price waiting for the market to open. I was on my phone watching the market waiting for the page to change. I got a twitter alert from bittrexexchange a few minutes after the snapshot. I figured this was the alert saying trading was open, so I hit sell, but the "market not active" message popped up. I went back to my twitter to reread this tweet. Sure, enough, the market was open. https://twitter.com/BittrexExchange/...96288296116224

I looked back at the market and saw the price crashing from .008 to .006, so I hit sell, but my sell was way above market at this point. I didn't have time to cancel the sell order and then reenter the proper price as the market was now .004 before bottoming out at .001 a few seconds later. My heart stopped beating for a couple seconds knowing this was my worst nightmare. The market bounced back to .0038 a few minutes later before settling around .003 at which point I sold my 160 zcl. I tried to transfer into tradesatoshi to buy at .001, but by the time my transfers went through, the market was back to .0022. I bought about .35 btc at that price and added .35 btc more at .0014 on cryptopia even though it was still dipping. The price was hanging around .002 on bittrex and .001 on the other exchanges for a day when I got a break.

Bittrex had reopened the zcl wallet enabling me to transfer my 300 zcl from tradesatoshi over to bittrex to sell at .0015 for a 50% gain. The trading bots accidentally picked up the bittrex tweet and pumped zcl up 10% in error but swiftly corrected that as the price continued to dump. Two hours later, my zcl arrived with the price at .00119. I made sure there was a buy order big enough and hit sell at .00118. Suddenly, the buy orders disappeared, and it was trading at .00112. I canceled my sell and refused to sell at that price. About a half hour later, it was down to .0008. Any way, i'm still bag holding waiting for the new zcl team to take over the project.

BTCP should open around .005, but you can probably get it cheap if you set your buy at .002 on kucoin and sell at .010 in a few hours. It should flatline around .005 before slowly gaining favor and level off at .020 after a few days, but it also depends on how btc is doing.

Last edited by duffrageous; 03-06-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2018

ZCL is on the way up again thanks to a number of factors I don't fully understand:

a)new team reviving ZCL project
b)massive dump that was bound to recovery at least partway if you follow the fibbonaci retracement at .38.
c)BTCP being traded by early whales around .025btc/piece.

https://www.kucoin.com/#/trade.pro/BTCP-BTC
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZClassic/co...el_resistance/
https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-ZCL
Old 03-11-2018
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 65%

I made this thread back during a somewhat bullish time period -- right now almost all significant alt coins have gone down 40-90%.

Luckily by chance I converted back to BTC and sold for fiat before the bear market began. I didn't sell at the very top, but I did avoid the crazy downswing we're currently in. Hard to say if this downtrend is going to continue... But probably is a realistic assumption for the short term future.

Right now seems like a great opportunity to allocate a small higher risk position into some of these safer alt coins. Most are currently discounted, and some are trading at their all time lows.

I'm not saying to buy any of these below, but if you're interested in dipping your toes into the altcoin scene, look into them on your spare time, I consider them on the safer side. Outside of these coins, I wouldn't recommend anything else. I'm sure there are some other solid/safer coins out there but these are the only ones I feel comfortable with. There are so many scammy/shady coins out there, just be extremely cautious and research anything thoroughly before you buy.

Somewhat safer alt coins: ETH, LTC, NEO, XMR, VEN, LISK, OMG, WTC, VTC, ARK, BNB

Higher risk / potential higher reward: NANO, ICON

IMO the idea is to keep growing your BTC stash to hold long term.

I wouldn't hold any of these altcoins long term aside from BTC/ETH/LTC.

Last edited by elmo; 03-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2018
MU

Longevity: 33%

I initially started trading alt coins at 10% of my bitcoin holdings. That initial 10% has turned into 45% of my total holdings based on the values the alt coins have gone up, without me having to invest more money. The growth is significantly larger than Bitcoin, but so is the risk. As long as you’re picking safe and solid coins (to the best of your ability) and you got a solid exit strategy setup to exchange alts back to BTC, I think you’ll be good to go.
Old 07-04-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwong View Post
how to contact elmo?

thank
PM him and wait - pm moderator (purple name).

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/amazon/...s-anymore.html