Buyer sending back empty box and getting refund - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 06-18-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Buyer sending back empty box and getting refund

Iv been reading that some people get a dispute then have the buyer keep the money and send back an empty box. What should you do as a seller? Beside maybe call the police? What do you do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-18-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Don't ship with a return address. Make buyers ASK for one. Then when they ask, don't comply. Thus, no return tracking.
Old 06-18-2009

Longevity: 92%
Send a message via MSN to gurusgrafx Send a message via Yahoo to gurusgrafx

I had a buyer make a compliant on a hoodie I sold them. They sent back a package with a sweater they got from the goodwill and paypal gave them their money back. said I'd have to go get a police report before they would even consider helping me.
Old 06-18-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^Soon as this happens I have a letter about the filed police report with copy to ebay/paypal noted....send that by email to the barsteward & wait. Has worked enough times to scare them into fixing the problem.
Old 06-18-2009

When it happened to me I really laughed about it. It was like a $30 transaction and the person went through all that to rip a little amount of money. I felt it was better to build their ego and let them pull it on someone for a real amount of money so they'd have a chance to see the inside of a police station.
Old 06-19-2009

Longevity: 89%

I do most of my sales through online forums, and have had this happen to me at least 5 times already. The fact that my items target audience consists mostly of punk teens to twenty somethings, probably has something to do with it =/ I still haven't found a reliable way to combat it...I just take each lose as a cost of doing business online...same as ebay fees
Old 06-19-2009

Longevity: 86%

I have had this happen to me a few years ago (when I was a newbe to ebay). A buyer purchased a huge lot of baby clothing off of me for $395.67+, all baby gap/old navy. She got the package, NEVER contacted me, same day she got the package opened a paypal claim, never responded to any of my emails/paypal communication....returned my box as "return to sender" with BRICKS IN IT! Yes, bricks in it! with a little bit of newspaper....the weight was still 4 pounds LESS then it was when I shipped it. Gave that info to paypal and of course paypal did nothing about it and the heffer got to keep the clothing and got her money back. I still have the bricks to this day and I use them each summer to level out the polls on our pool,lol! I swore that I would get my $395 worth out of those bricks,lol!
Old 06-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
I do most of my sales through online forums, and have had this happen to me at least 5 times already. The fact that my items target audience consists mostly of punk teens to twenty somethings, probably has something to do with it =/ I still haven't found a reliable way to combat it...I just take each lose as a cost of doing business online...same as ebay fees
What online forums do you sell on if I may ask?
Old 06-19-2009

Longevity: 87%

I heard of many of it, but never had experiences with that. I never sell anythings to unverified PayPal or Zero feedback buyers.
Old 06-19-2009
Threadstarter  

Interesting. It sounds like one should file a police report and hope for the best. And if the best doesn't happen just what deeznuts says. consider it part of the cost of doing business. I guess nothing else you can do.
Old 06-19-2009

^^^^^another thing to think about is how do you file a police report for a transaction from a stealth account?
Old 06-19-2009

Longevity: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
Don't ship with a return address. Make buyers ASK for one. Then when they ask, don't comply. Thus, no return tracking.
I've seen PayPal give them my account's address and tell them they must ship there.
Old 06-19-2009

^^^^^^Thats what they did to me when the guy ripped me off.
Old 06-19-2009

Longevity: 98%

In my experience, even if the buyer returns the item, they will ship it so poorly that it comes back damaged, and paypal will end up giving them a full refund. Buyers only do this when they force a refund through paypal or wherever, not when they act honestly.
Old 06-20-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Legally defensible from your end, if you wanted to bother.

Suppose you are moving and plan to not update until the move is finished? PP mistake.

Suppose you have a summer home and a winter home. PP gives the address for wrong season? PP mistake.

Suppose you were evicted and have no new address. PP mistake.

I could go on, but I believe you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I've seen PayPal give them my account's address and tell them they must ship there.
Old 06-20-2009

Again, a few years back, I had a seller cash a walmart money order that I sent for $80, and the seller denied ever receiving it. When I called the 800 number it said that it was cashed that very day and when I spoke to a rep, they told me it was cashed at a grocery store. (the seller had many recent feedback stating that they took the money and ran)....well I did get the police involved at that time, and only because when I called the phone number and actually spoke with the person she laughed when I said that the money order had been cashed....she told me to "prove it"...well I did....to the police and the very next day I got a call from the Philly police dept. from a detective (I live 800+ miles away, the selller lived in Philly) asking me for all the details and name/address/phone number to the seller. Well that very day I got a paypal email that stated that "my items have been shipped using USPS priority mail", you know the one that you get whenever the seller makes the label through paypal. I got the stuff in 2 days! And remember, this was only over $80!!!! You can also contact the "Internet Crime Police", very serious business that way!
Old 06-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

^^^^Nice job there
Old 06-27-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Quote:

Suppose you are moving and plan to not update until the move is finished? PP mistake.

Suppose you have a summer home and a winter home. PP gives the address for wrong season? PP mistake.

so vic is saying that if you dont give address, pp will give stealth address, they ship there and then you say you moved, and pp side with you? seriously? Wont tracking be enough for buyer to claim from you?
Old 06-27-2009
Threadstarter  

if your getting a real package returned with the wrong address and shipping by ups, you can call them and change the address on route.....And .....Maybe do something similar with post office????
Old 06-28-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts

oh ok, no way post office would do that here, you are lucky to even get an email back from them after 3 weeks! Royal mail are not like ups, they offer more of a Soviet dictatorship service..
Old 06-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Happened to me and I lost 2 items this way
Old 06-28-2009

Quote:

Yes! Exactly!