VPN Kill Switch For VMware WorkStation... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 08-04-2018

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 44%
Default VPN Kill Switch For VMware WorkStation...

Over the last two weeks I've been testing VPN kill switches and clients. In order to have multiple operating systems to test with I'm using VMware Workstation.

This morning I had an epiphany... and it's so easy...

Really it's not even a kill switch, but it acts as one... As a matter of fact VMware might just be the best kill switch in existence since not only is it cross-platform and cross-protocol. It also allows you to host any OS you desire.

At any time in VMware you can set the Network adapter to use a Bridged connection.

This video below shows how to set up your Bridged Connection.

Instead of setting the bridge to Ethernet or WiFi... Set it to your VPN's network adapter....

Then just connect to the VPN from the Host's VPN client... The only internet connection the VM Guest will receive is from the VPN...

It's so easy... I never even thought about it before... and by looking at search results for kill switch here, it looks like maybe no one else has either...

Last edited by nate; 08-04-2018 at 11:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nate For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (08-04-2018), hypothamus (08-08-2018)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-04-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: VPN Kill Switch For VMware WorkStation...

Some seriously nice work, nate.

Old 08-04-2018
Threadstarter  

This time I stole my own thunder...

I spent the last couple days translating the Windows kill switch I reverse engineered, from DOS into Bash, to make a executable Terminal User Interface script for MacOS... (Which wasn't easy since Bash doesn't have
Code:
goto
)

And I changed routing to the MacOS format... (which apple has no documentation for online) i.e. route(8) utility

Just to end up find an easier way... FML

I was thinking the bash would be too complicated since you have to copy and paste the bash code to a text file, then save it to a folder (ie. Documents or Desktop)... Then grant yourself read/write privileges in MacOS file settings of the file... and change the file extension to a .command...

Then through a terminal
Code:
sudo chmod +x killswitch.command
and
Code:
chmod 700 killswitch.command
to make it executable.

Only reason why Im posting it ATM is because I figured you could appreciate some Bash...

Code:
#! /bin/bash

echo off

defgw=$(route get 0.0.0.0 2>/dev/null | awk '/gateway: / {print $2}';)
def_int=$(route get 0.0.0.0 2>/dev/null | awk '/interface: / {print $2}';)

clear
:start
clear

echo Simple VPN KillSwitch, ver. 1.1 - by whoami
echo
echo Your default gateway is "$defgw" on interface "$def_int"
echo "-if nothing appears or its incorrect, add it manually (Press "4")"
echo
echo USAGE: 
echo
PS3='Please enter your choice: '
options=("Manually insert VPN IP" "Enable Kill Switch (IP "$defgw")" "Disable Kill Switch (IP "$defgw")" "Manually set default gateway if its not detected above." "Exit Kill Switch")
select opt in "${options[@]}"
do
    case $opt in
     "Manually insert VPN IP")
            echo -n "Enter you VPN IP and press [ENTER]: "
read vpn
echo VPN $vpn Configured...
sleep 2
 ;;
    "Enable Kill Switch (IP "$defgw")")
            sudo route -n delete -net default $defgw -ifp $def_int
            sudo route -n add -net $vpn $defgw -ifp $def_int
            echo Kill Switch Enabled...
sleep 1
;;
    "Disable Kill Switch (IP "$defgw")")
            sudo route -n delete -net $vpn $defgw -ifp $def_int
            sudo route -n add -net default $defgw -ifp $def_int
            echo Kill Switch Disabled...
sleep 1 
;;
    "Manually set default gateway if its not detected above.")
            echo -n "Enter Default Gateway IP and press [ENTER]: "
read defgw 
echo Default Gateway $defgw Configured...       
;;
    "Exit Kill Switch")                
             break
            ;;
        *) echo "invalid option $REPLY";;
    esac
done
Screen Shot:

Im not a big fan of Kill Switches that are closed source and I have no idea what they're really doing.... or only work with one VPN protocol...

That Bash will obviously work for Linux too if the routing is changed to Linux format.

Last edited by nate; 08-04-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

What I did was dedicate one computer to running linux, use that as a hotspot. Ethernet gets incoming internet, the wifi card is a wifi router. There's a bash script online that cuts off internet whenever the VPN goes down. Have your other devices connect to that linux wifi server basically.
Old 08-08-2018

Longevity: 32%

so... coming up to speed slowly here...

If I run VMWare, and use a VPN service within the guest OS of VMWare, then, every time I open that guest OS, I will be using the IP address of the VPN.

Correct?

If I download the freeware VMW, it only provides one simultaneous OS. If I purchase VM Workstation Pro (14), then I can have multiple simultaneous OS instances, and if I have purchased muliple VPNs, I can assign one to each OS instance insdie VMWare, and swap between screens, like moving to different physical desktops, all with its own IP address.

Am I getting this, or going down the wrong track ?
Old 08-08-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothamus View Post
If I run VMWare, and use a VPN service within the guest OS of VMWare, then, every time I open that guest OS, I will be using the IP address of the VPN.
Sort of... Yes, but only if you set the VPN connection to start automatically when your VPN client is opened.... And then to open the VPN client when Windows boots you would have to put a short cut of your VPN client in Windows guest start folder...

But this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread... It wouldn't work as a Kill Switch and protect your virtual identity if your VPN connection was to drop.

Now if you were to run the VPN client on the host, and set the VM's (guest) network adapter to use a bridged connection, and you select the hosts VPN adapter to bridge to.... Then your guest would only use the VPN and it would act as a kill switch... Your VM wouldn't be able to use anything other than the VPN to connect to the internet. And as long as your host was connected to the VPN, your guest would connect to the VPN when it boots up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothamus View Post
If I download the freeware VMW, it only provides one simultaneous OS. If I purchase VM Workstation Pro (14), then I can have multiple simultaneous OS instances, and if I have purchased muliple VPNs, I can assign one to each OS instance insdie VMWare, and swap between screens, like moving to different physical desktops, all with its own IP address.

Am I getting this, or going down the wrong track ?
Yes, you are correct... But it's not JUST that easy....

You have to make sure your CPU is VT-d capable... Which you will have to enable in BIOS...

Don't waist your time downloading the free Player version... Just download WorkStation 14 Pro and Google "key VMware WorkStation 14 Pro"... You will find a key that works... Trust me....

Also your CPU would need about a 8 core processor in order to run multiple simultaneous instances optimally. You almost need 16 cores to do it right if you had more than 3 guests going at once plus the host.

But if you have more than one guest open.. this Kill Switch that the thread is about.. will work if you created multiple VPN adapters on the host (I havent found a way yet on a Mac host tho)... By creating additional network adapters with SoftEther Client and setting the VPN to use which ever specific adapter in SoftEther's connection settings.

I haven't found a way to do it on a Mac host, or by using a OpenVPN client, for multiple guests all open at the same time yet..

I don't really find a need to have more than one account open at a time... It sounds bad ass though... Trust me, I thought the same thing when I first read other people talk about doing it years ago.. But it's not really necessary... I ended up use google spread sheets to share all the info I need between accounts i.e. what I have listed on every account ect...

Your best bet if you wanted to run a bunch of simultaneous instances would be to do it right and build a home server running VMware ESXi on a dual CPU server board with dual Intel Xeon 8 core processors giving you 16 cores and add as many 16gb DDR3 sticks as the board will hold. You could do that for less then the price of a new Laptop with an i7 if you bought decommissioned CPU's off eBay. (just make sure they have VT-d, some of the older ones don't)

Then you could connect to the remote server on any laptop running WorkStation 14. And if you ran VPN server software on the ESXi server connected to your home network and ran a VPN client on the laptop running WorkStation, you could connect to your server from anywhere remotely...

But that topic needs its own thread...

Last edited by nate; 08-08-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2018

Longevity: 32%

I frequent many hotel wifi networks and use a small GLI Net router + OVPN profile. Can also tether phone via usb as a backup connection. There's a box one can tick to kill all connections if OVPN fails or stops.
The Following User Says Thank You to jok3r For This Useful Post:
nate (09-04-2018)
Old 10-08-2019

Longevity: 46%

Hi
my first time using Vmware.
I installed it with windows XP as guest.
I have my host connect to a VPN and I used the guide in the Youtube video post in the topic thread.

However, once I start up VM with XP, I can see a local area connection connected but I can't use internet. I tried google on internet explorer and had no access.

What am I doing wrong or haven't done??

I got internet working with Firefox Portable! this is working nicely. way better than I thought...now is there any easy/good way to only allow internet access when VPN is not connect on the host?

I want to use my personal Amazon account on the host so I don't want to be able to access internet when the VPN is on (the VPN is for a stealth Amazon account).

Last edited by xtyle; 10-08-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2019

Longevity: 25%

Can you please explain to me i don't understand this method what will works