PayPal supported a scammer and I lost £650 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-23-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 32%
Default PayPal supported a scammer and I lost £650

Hi Everyone,
I am really devastated, I have been scammed out of £650, I bought an iPhone X on eBay, the seller had over 800 feedbacks, seller listed the phone free postage with buy it now price of £650, I thought it was all legitimate so I went ahead and bought it and paid using my PayPal balance.

I then messaged the seller asking him to post the phone via Next Day Delivery (which was the option there) and asked the seller to send me the phone’s IMEI number, seller responded back saying that he was on his way home and he will provide the info once he gets home, well he never did.

An hour later, the seller marked the phone dispatched, I messaged him straightaway asking for an explanation why did he mark the phone sent! Again I didn’t receive any response from him.

I then quickly checked his last sold items on eBay through the advanced search facility on by seller and found out that seller sold the exact same phone same description 3 times within an hour. I panicked, tried to open a dispute on eBay but the system wouldn’t let me, so I disputed the transaction on PayPal and commented on the dispute that I found out that the seller sold the same phone 3 times and marked the phone sent even though it was a Sunday and no tracking info was provided, I demanded my money back.

Then the seller commented on the case with BIG ⊗⊗⊗⊗ story saying that I sent him my phone number on eBay and ask to pick the purchased item to be picked up in person by a friend my mine, well, I have never sent him my phone number, yet he managed to convince PayPal with his ⊗⊗⊗⊗ story and packed it up with ⊗⊗⊗⊗ imessages between 2 mobile numbers and told PayPal that the listing was CASH ON COLLECION ONLY which is also a lie as the listing stated that free express delivery via Royal Mail Next Day Delivery.

surprisingly, the case was closed in his favor by PayPal, and I received an email from PayPal saying that the seller provided them a tracking info and that tracking info was checked on the carrier website and PayPal confirmed delivery.
I was in a big shock, I appealed the case, and since PayPal recognised the item delivered I had no choice but appealing the case as item is not as described, I then explained every details with PayPal and asked them to contact eBay to confirm and uploaded all screenshots showing that the seller sold the phone 3 times and all my messages to the seller and his response but PayPal declined my appeal and decided the case in the seller’s favour stating that the phone was cash on collection only, but this is incorrect, I really don’t know how PayPal made this mistake.
PayPal stated that my payment is not covered under buyer protection because the item was cash on collection only, again this is incorrect, if PayPal checked the listing they will see the delivery option there and nothing been mentioned about cash on collection in the listing title nor in the description.

So, I sent a complaint email to PayPal and told them every detail as explained, PayPal re-appealed the dispute and asked for more evidence, I have provided by email all supporting screenshots clearly showing that I am a victim of a fraud, PayPal for the third time decided the case in the seller’s favour and limited my account permanently.
I phoned and spoken to PayPal, explained everything to the dispute team, they were in my side but they said they won’t be able to do anything due to the limitation on my account and I shall speak with the limitation team. Unfortunately, the back office turned my limitation appeal down as they think I was doing fraud to this seller.
Later on at 7 pm, I sent a message to the seller on eBay asking him to refund my payment as I will take him court, he responded within a minute saying that his account was compromised and he never had any iPhone X for sale, I phoned PayPal and told them about the new evidence but again they said as the account has been limited there is nothing they can do.
I then received an email from eBay confirming that the seller’s account on eBay was compromised and a third party has used it and sold me the phone.
I requested eBay step in and help but they said since the case was raised and closed with PayPal they won’t be able to intervene. I asked for an email to confirm three points
I never sent/shared my mobile number with the seller.
The listing was not cash on collection only.
The seller eBay account was compromised.

I have contacted the Obedsman service and refered the case to them with all evidence but been shocked with the outcome, The Obdesman service informed me that according to PayPal terms and conditions that the buyer protection is a complimentary service and PayPal don’t have to offer on all transactions.

Could you please advise me on how to start a court case and who I should be taking to court PayPal or the scammer.

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-23-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%
Default Re: PayPal supported a scammer and I lost £650

Sorry to hear about this ordeal you're experiencing, I can only imagine how infuriating it must be.

Quote:
Could you please advise me on how to start a court case and who I should be taking to court PayPal or the scammer.
The best thing to do is speak to a law firm and take it from there.

The way I see it, eBay or PayPal wont have evidence to suggest you collected the item (other than the fabricated messages).

But going down the court route will cost you an arm and a leg along the way...
Old 08-23-2018
Threadstarter  

Many thanks for your quick response.

I know the court will cost me, however, I have been told that if I win the case I shall be getting all court and solicitor fees back!!

Can I start a small claim court case myself without a solicitor! And who I shall raise the case against, PayPal or the scammer!!

Thanks
Old 08-23-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forum - all the best as you master stealth

If you start a small claim court case, the cost will be on you initially :( sad to say
Old 08-23-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znomo1444 View Post
Hi Everyone,

surprisingly, the case was closed in his favor by PayPal, and I received an email from PayPal saying that the seller provided them a tracking info and that tracking info was checked on the carrier website and PayPal confirmed delivery.

Thanks
So the seller used a F*** Tracking number to prove delivery?

Or have Paypal accepted F*** evidence provided by the seller that the item was collection only?

My understanding has always been Paypal require a valid tracking number showing delivery to protect the seller.

Cash On Collection does not protect the seller for non delivery disputes. The horror stories over the years are endless.

Unless I am missing something, this does not quite add up.
Old 08-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong2012 View Post
So the seller used a F*** Tracking number to prove delivery?

Or have Paypal accepted F*** evidence provided by the seller that the item was collection only?

My understanding has always been Paypal require a valid tracking number showing delivery to protect the seller.

Unless I am missing something, this does not quite add up.
It was the latter... there was no tracking. I was under the same understanding as you in thinking eBay and PayPal would want a valid tracking number.

The fact this seller has got away with giving fabricated text messages astounds me.
Old 08-23-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
It was the latter... there was no tracking. I was under the same understanding as you in thinking eBay and PayPal would want a valid tracking number.

The fact this seller has got away with giving fabricated text messages astounds me.
Surely that is in breach of their UA.

I have had a lot of experience with Paypal over the years.

Something does not add up here. Has the OP forfeited Buyer Protection I wonder...
Old 08-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong2012 View Post
Surely that is in breach of their UA.

I have had a lot of experience with Paypal over the years.

Something does not add up here.
Yup, was under the same impression. Unless i'm missing something too, it doesn't add up. I do think there's more to this as buyer protection is all about valid tracking AND delivery to the address as shown on the PayPal payment page.

Lets see what the OP adds...
Old 08-23-2018
Threadstarter  

The fact that the dispute was opened within 2 hours of purchasing the phone gave PayPal the impression that I was doing something wrong!
According to PayPal terms and conditions the buyer protection is a complimentary service and they don’t have to offer it I have been told by the UK Obdesman service.

eBay told me they would happily supply all evidence to support me in court.

I have sent lots of emails to PayPal but they just don’t want to know.

Do you think that I can seek a compensation from PayPal based on this case in addition to my payment of £650!

Can I take PayPal court!

Thanks
Old 08-23-2018
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

For them to find against you so many times it is rather unusual, especially as the seller doesn't have any real proof.

If you have been genuinely wronged, then you may want to contact the other buyers who also bought phones. A group of you complaining together will have a bigger impact.
Old 08-23-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_smile View Post
For them to find against you so many times it is rather unusual, especially as the seller doesn't have any real proof.

If you have been genuinely wronged, then you may want to contact the other buyers who also bought phones. A group of you complaining together will have a bigger impact.
I really can’t believe it.
When I first opened the case, the scammer called PayPal and somehow convinced them with the pick up collection story hence the PayPal representative marked the case as the item was for collection and then every representative followed him till my account was limited.

I need to know whether I can take PayPal court or not and their UK address.

Please guys let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znomo1444 View Post
I really can’t believe it.
When I first opened the case, the scammer called PayPal and somehow convinced them with the pick up collection story hence the PayPal representative marked the case as the item was for collection and then every representative followed him till my account was limited.

I need to know whether I can take PayPal court or not and their UK address.

Please guys let me know.

Thanks
Simple answer is yes, you can take PayPal to court. But nobody here (as far as I am aware) is a lawyer. So you need to seek legal advice from a law firm who deal with matters like this on a day to day basis.

In the interim, you can try and contact PayPal's legal office, i'll PM you the details. Should that fail, your only recourse will be a legal battle.
Old 08-24-2018

Longevity: 89%

Why doesnt OP open an INR on ebay?
My understanding is that this dispute was only on Paypal.
you can still file case on ebay,no?
Old 08-24-2018

Longevity: 70%

I am sorry to hear that you have been scammed. Your behaviour was bit suspicious on first place. Selling three items within an hour is suspicious but it doesn't mean that it is illegal to do so. By opening dispute with Paypal after 2 hours you have behaved suspiciously. Paypal thought you want freebie. And buyer had 800 feedbacks which looked like genuine seller in front Paypal's eyes. I think ebuyer was also got scammed. The real scammer is gone by now. Taking legal action against will cost you more than what you have actually lost. You better contact other two buyers whether they received their item or not. If they confirm that they have not received anything than you should get in touch with Paypal and tell them that other two buyers are got scammed by same seller, than maybe paypal will take your side and reimburse from their side and restore your account
Old 08-24-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah74 View Post
Why doesnt OP open an INR on ebay?
My understanding is that this dispute was only on Paypal.
you can still file case on ebay,no?
Unfortunately no, once the case has been opened with PayPal then eBay has no control over it.
Old 08-24-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredy View Post
Taking legal action against will cost you more than what you have actually lost.
My understanding is that I can open a small claim case and it shouldn’t cost more than £70 and once I win the case I shall get all costs back!

I am not letting PayPal nor the scammer getting away with my hard earned money. There should be someone out there able to help retrieving my payment from the scammer and point out the terrible mistake that PayPal made.
Old 08-24-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

File a complaint with the BBB to get paypals attention.
Old 08-24-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Firstly, selling an iphone 3 times, could be that they cancelled the transactions due to buyer being abroad or looking dodgy somehow.....
Ive done that before, as certain items attract scammers, and they sell immediately, but your gut tells you the buyer feedback or address or questions, are not right.....obviously I refunded them before relisting

also, OP looked suspicious by disputing for no real reason and so soon.....but in any case seller did not send it, when in fact they could have just refunded and moved on - so that is scammy....

take a screenshot of the completed listing (under advanced search) before it disappears, so you have proof of terms of delivery.

That should be all you need for court, as they seller will not be able to prove delivery. However, who are you taking to court? the seller? do you have their real name and address?

be careful on any signed for deliveries in next few days too, as they might send something for you to sign for, to prove their case.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 08-24-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
That should be all you need for court, as they seller will not be able to prove delivery. However, who are you taking to court? the seller? do you have their real name and address?
I would really like to take a legal action against PayPal since they authorised and released the payment to the scammer.

Does anyone know how to start the court case without a solicitor! And wether I can seek a compensation in addition to my payment!

Thanks
Old 08-24-2018

Longevity: 33%

I think the 1st mistake was not going through ebay first to sort out the issue. Seeking the assistance of a lawyer is your best option. It may be as simple as a phone call to paypal from a lawyer. I am sorry that this has happened to you.
Old 08-24-2018

Longevity: 70%

CHEck this out https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/t...-court.177981/

It is old but still valuable information regarding Paypal issues.
And you can google it on how to take Paypal to court.