"Sorry, we can't verify who you are" when adding bank account - changed phone number - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-31-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default "Sorry, we can't verify who you are" when adding bank account - changed phone number

Hello. Situation is a year old ebay and paypal stealth account. Made a few sales. Sent $200 to a friend. Successfully sent $50 to bank. Then two weeks later I sold an $800 high risk item. First and only.

Paypal tried to get fees from my bank instead of my on hold paypal funds. No funds in bank. Bank got removed and got auto message saying bank account was closed but it was not. Tried to re-add. Did not work. Tried to add new account. "Quick security check" for phone comes up. Unfortunately I did not have the phone number I used a year ago to set up account. I was able to add and confirm a new number.

But then I get the message "Sorry, We couldn't confirm it's you". The help link on this pop up says call paypal.

I don't want to call paypal. I know its not a big deal just calling but I dont even like to call regular people.

Will this go away after some time? Can I try to send $200 to a friend?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-31-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: "Sorry, we can't verify who you are" when adding bank account - changed phone num

The phone # verification and "Sorry we can't verify it's you" message seems to be SOP with PayPal these days.

Adding a new phone number won't help at least initially. It's *highly* recommened you always keep the original phone # on the account active for this reason.

This is just their way of saying there are security concerns and if you call them you are going to be asked to pass public records database questions most of the time.

What could have triggered this? It's hard to say for sure, but it could be what you're selling, amount, how often you are withdrawing, your IP address, or a multitude of other things. I have personally found that if the IP address is not totally clean, it's going to trip the "Quick Security Check" routine. Thus make darn sure the IP address is not one was used before and is clean. Refer to the stealth guide for more guidance in this area.

Most people on this forum, and I agree you should just let the account sit for a period of time. If you keep trying to w/d money or force it, it's likely to resuilt in a limitation or extend the time you won't be able to do anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
yyacarr (10-24-2018)
Old 09-01-2018

Longevity: 53%
Default Re: "Sorry, we can't verify who you are" when adding bank account - changed phone num

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzamb1415 View Post
Hello. Situation is a year old ebay and paypal stealth account. Made a few sales. Sent $200 to a friend. Successfully sent $50 to bank. Then two weeks later I sold an $800 high risk item. First and only.

Paypal tried to get fees from my bank instead of my on hold paypal funds. No funds in bank. Bank got removed and got auto message saying bank account was closed but it was not. Tried to re-add. Did not work. Tried to add new account. "Quick security check" for phone comes up. Unfortunately I did not have the phone number I used a year ago to set up account. I was able to add and confirm a new number.

But then I get the message "Sorry, We couldn't confirm it's you". The help link on this pop up says call paypal.

I don't want to call paypal. I know its not a big deal just calling but I dont even like to call regular people.

send a message to @AskPaypal on twitter. Explain to them your situation and include the tracking information for that high valued item. You will get a reply from an actual person and not the automated garbage that you get when you contact customer service via paypal, and they have been quite helpful. Also calling paypal by phone should always be your last option
Old 09-01-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

Bank got removed could be the issue - reverify the account, even a different bank account might help
Old 09-01-2018

Longevity: 33%

Just call them. They usually just have you change the password and they add the phone number themselves.
Old 09-27-2018
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 61%

Update: Three weeks has passed and this time quick security check popped up with my new phone number. Verified that and then screen refreshed to put bank account in. I did that and then it finally accepted! Now I have to wait and confirm the two small deposits. If I have any more trouble I will update. Otherwise I'm taking this scenario as waiting 2-3 weeks will do the trick.

Once again I am not against calling paypal but I do not want to do it and I did not in this instance.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenzamb1415 For This Useful Post:
nodeal (10-11-2018)
Old 10-23-2018

Longevity: 72%

Quote:
Update: Three weeks has passed and this time quick security check popped up with my new phone number. Verified that and then screen refreshed to put bank account in. I did that and then it finally accepted! Now I have to wait and confirm the two small deposits. If I have any more trouble I will update. Otherwise I'm taking this scenario as waiting 2-3 weeks will do the trick.

Once again I am not against calling paypal but I do not want to do it and I did not in this instance.
Hey guys,

I have same situation, I have same problem when adding a new bank account or try to sornd money it let to me quick securty and same errors..

I updated to my phone under my profile and confirmed it, so you just wait three weeks and automatically they send the code your new phone, or did something like called paypal or similar..

I am verry appricate it your helps
Thank you
Old 10-24-2018

Longevity: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
The phone # verification and "Sorry we can't verify it's you" message seems to be SOP with PayPal these days.

Adding a new phone number won't help at least initially. It's *highly* recommened you always keep the original phone # on the account active for this reason.

This is just their way of saying there are security concerns and if you call them you are going to be asked to pass public records database questions most of the time.

What could have triggered this? It's hard to say for sure, but it could be what you're selling, amount, how often you are withdrawing, your IP address, or a multitude of other things. I have personally found that if the IP address is not totally clean, it's going to trip the "Quick Security Check" routine. Thus make darn sure the IP address is not one was used before and is clean. Refer to the stealth guide for more guidance in this area.

Most people on this forum, and I agree you should just let the account sit for a period of time. If you keep trying to w/d money or force it, it's likely to resuilt in a limitation or extend the time you won't be able to do anything.

My paypal has my old phone number if I update it new working and wait a while then new security text message will go new phone?