Sole proprietor, EIN and business account. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 10-31-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 31%
Default Sole proprietor, EIN and business account.

I'm a sole proprietor with a premier PP account. I'm thinking about upgrading to a business account just so that it shows my business name and not my personal name in transactions. This is not a stealth account. What are the pitfalls or issues with upgrading to a business account? I understand the procedure has changed recently. I have a EIN for my sole proprietorship. Since it's not a LLC will my business name pass the IRS verification step with my EIN or must I use my personal name? Does anyone have experience with this? There is a field for business name on the EIN but I've heard from some people that the IRS will only match the personal name and not the business name. Will I have to send in my EIN paperwork or business license to PP if I upgrade to business?

This is a small side business. PP has never requested my tax info and I'm pretty far away from the limits. What do people think of upgrading to business for a small sole proprietor?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-31-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Sole proprietor, EIN and business account.

It wouldn't serve the purpose you want it to since, like you mentioned, the sole prop EIN is tied to your name and not a business name so your personal name would still show on PP transactions (given that you upgrade correctly). To put an LLC name would cause a mismatch with the IRS.
Old 10-31-2018
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 31%
Default Re: Sole proprietor, EIN and business account.

I didn't know it worked that way, so if I upgrade to a business account and hence have a business name. If the business is a sole proprietorship that my personal name would still be the name that shows up on transactions and not my business name? So if someone sent me a payment, PP would still say you paid this person and not this business? What's the point of having a business name on a PP business account for a sole proprietorship then?

Most sole proprietorships have business names. It's just not for separate legal entities like LLCs. With a business checking account, one can accept payments made out to the business name with no mention of the personal name. I find it confusing that on the EIN for a sole proprietorship that there is a field for business name. If the IRS doesn't match the business name to the EIN, why is there even a spot for the business name?

Is it mandatory to give an EIN or SSN as part of the business upgrade process?
The Following User Says Thank You to winterworld For This Useful Post:
aenews (06-08-2020)