VeRO suspension: does it affect BUYING privileges? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 12-06-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 30%
Default VeRO suspension: does it affect BUYING privileges?

1. If ebay permanently suspends you over VeRO issues, does this mean you are permanently suspended from BUYING anything using your account, or does it work as it does at Amazon, where you're simply told your selling privileges have been suspended?

I assumed a VeRO suspension would only affect your selling privileges at ebay, until I saw people posting the terms of their preceding 7- and 30- day suspensions - which specified no selling OR buying during these periods!

2. So if this were to happen, an ebay seller would need a stealth account merely to BUY through ebay from then on? This would really be ridiculous.

3. Are non-VeRO issues treated any differently? I.e., can you be suspended from selling only, but be told you are still welcome to buy on ebay using the same account?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-06-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: VeRO suspension: does it affect BUYING privileges?

There's no solid answer to these questions because there are many different factors eBay considers when deciding how impacted an account will be by a suspension. Sometimes an account will be permanently banned where it can't do any more buying or selling forever. Sometimes it will just be no more selling.

By VeRO, do you mean selling counterfeits? Or are you having listings for legitimate items pulled by the manufacturer strictly because you do not have permission to sell them? Selling counterfeits would result in a severe limitation, whereas a true "VeRO" takedown wouldn't be as bad.
Old 12-06-2018
Threadstarter  

" Or are you having listings for legitimate items pulled by the manufacturer strictly because you do not have permission to sell them?"

I've had one warning, so far, from a company who makes the product which apparently simply wanted to keep me from selling it.

I had taken advantage of a store sale and found out the hard way that it didn't want me to list the item on ebay. I took my own picture of it - actually I had used an older picture of another, identical product I had taken and sold before. The product was unchanged, its UPC was the same, but the label design was slightly different.

I would not dare knowingly sell a counterfeit, but I cannot in advance know when a rights owner will decide to make a trivial claim simply because it is able to, with no consequences to them if they're wrong.

Last edited by asp7; 12-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

In that case, it's not a very severe strike. I wouldn't go and relist the item but you're probably far from getting your account permanently suspended at this point.

Apologies for asking. 99% of the time around here, "VeRO" = counterfeit.
Old 12-06-2018
Threadstarter  

Someone asked me privately, but I'm apparently not allowed to PM until I've made 25 posts:

what were you selling fitbit?

Not at all. It was baby formula. They claimed it was obviously expired (hinting that this made it illegal, which it would have been, had it indeed been expired), since I didn't think to take a new picture of their updated label. The complainant also threw around other terms, like trademark infringement, which I imagine really made ebay take notice. It came from a store shelf and won't expire for many more months, but I guess that's irrelevant to them. I emailed the company and said I can produce a receipt and they just ignored me, as expected.
Old 12-06-2018
Threadstarter  

"In that case, it's not a very severe strike."

You seem to be the go-to person around here, thanks for that.

I had thought a strike is a strike.

"I wouldn't go and relist the item but you're probably far from getting your account permanently suspended at this point."

No, but what if I list a lot more retail arbitrage product on ebay? I was going to ramp it up ten-fold, but now I'm wondering if this wouldn't increase my strikes ten-fold as well.

Last edited by asp7; 12-06-2018 at 03:54 PM.