IRS getting in touch with Etsy about incorrect information?? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 12-01-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default IRS getting in touch with Etsy about incorrect information??

Etsy sent me a paper stating IRS contacted them that info they have on file for my account is incorrect and want me to fill out a W-9 they sent and send back to ETSY,I have EIN with Etsy with Stealth name,etc ---now im wondering how to go about this--give them correct info on W-9 or change to my real name in tax id section of Etsy,just shut down shop?---Any help would be appreciated i been up for over yr on stealth and used this EIN i got online last yr at tax time --thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-01-2018

Longevity: 31%
Default Re: IRS getting in touch with Etsy about incorrect information??

Im kind on the same situation as you are, I did not receive the email yet but i will probably.

If you dont comply (not send anything) do they tell you what happens then? Did they already shut down a shop with your real data?
Old 12-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by enco View Post
Im kind on the same situation as you are, I did not receive the email yet but i will probably.

If you dont comply (not send anything) do they tell you what happens then? Did they already shut down a shop with your real data?
Hey-yes they shut down one last yr and i have had this one up with info i bought from what i thought was a moderator here but now they wont respond back to me nor can i get anyone to respond here that may know now so idk what to do or tell you either,but they sent me a letter with a W9 in it saying i had till DEC31 to provide the correct info back to ETSY stating that there info and the IRS info didnt match---not too worried about Etsy but dont wont IRS problems but either way still dont know how to go about it really---thanks
Old 12-02-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

anytime a tax number does not match the name exactly on any third party payment processor, you get a request to fill out w9 IRS form. It has been this was since 1099ks back in 2011.

Fill out the form or get blocked from accepting payments. If the IRS wants, it can get your details from the checking account. If you filed your taxes correctly, nothing to worry about.
Old 12-02-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
anytime a tax number does not match the name exactly on any third party payment processor, you get a request to fill out w9 IRS form. It has been this was since 1099ks back in 2011.

Fill out the form or get blocked from accepting payments. If the IRS wants, it can get your details from the checking account. If you filed your taxes correctly, nothing to worry about.
Hey thanks for the reply ,when you say fill out the W9 to send back to Etsy do you mean that i need to put in my real name ,address and shop name ?--Is this only for etsy ,in other words if i dont send it back are they gonna tell IRS that i didnt and they didnt match or just block my payments?--because i think this stealth account is toast now anyways soon---thanks
Old 12-02-2018
Threadstarter  

O-also i never registered an LLC--all i did was get an EIN from online and fill out Etsy tax info with it and stealth info-then i did last yrs taxes using EIN for this with my real info---if that helps or makes a differance?
Old 12-03-2018

Longevity: 85%

Dont fill out the W9 form with wrong / made up information
The Following User Says Thank You to wilburnet For This Useful Post:
ROWDYLANE (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburnet View Post
Dont fill out the W9 form with wrong / made up information
My question is mainly should i fill it out with the proper info and send it back to Etsy or just not send it at all?----Either way im going to say this Etsy accounts days are numbered now but idk if i need to send this w9 back to Etsy with correct info for the IRS or do they even get back with IRS once i send w9 back or is it just for Etsy to see if im using ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name to shut me down?--thanks
Old 12-03-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Never falsify an IRS form unless you think you might want ta serious IRS issue. That is just common sense dont ya think?

Fill it out, dont fill it out, That is your choice. No idea why you would make up an EIN number.
Old 12-04-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Never falsify an IRS form unless you think you might want ta serious IRS issue. That is just common sense dont ya think?

Fill it out, dont fill it out, That is your choice. No idea why you would make up an EIN number.
I didnt make up an EIN number??--I filed for an EIN number as i was told to do from info i purchased on here and then i falsified the tax info on Etsy and used that EIN number as i was told to do from info i bought from Moderator on here and was told that they would only look at the EIN number and not the other info--One of my questions was is this a true W9 that is gonna be sent to IRS or just a form for ETsy ?---Trust me i know better than to falsify a form going to IRS for sure but since from the beginning i was told that this is the way the stealth works is that you falsify the name etc going to Etsy then i didnt know "A---should i fill the form out correct and send it to Etsy or B---not send it at all"
Old 12-06-2018

If you are from the US, I would go with option B and wait.
Tell us what you did.
Old 12-06-2018

Empty your ETSY balance and move on. New stealth, new info. No point in using stealth info on legal documents when you can just move on quicker with a new account.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron For This Useful Post:
ROWDYLANE (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Empty your ETSY balance and move on. New stealth, new info. No point in using stealth info on legal documents when you can just move on quicker with a new account.
Hey Tron thanks for the reply and i agree with you on this and probably am after first of yr but my main concern is do i need to fill out the W9 with the real info and send it back to Etsy for the IRS since they said the IRS said there info didnt match?--I didnt know if the IRS was going to come question me on Y the name on Etsy dont match my real name i file if i dont send Etsy the real info or if Etsy just wants it for thereself ---In other words if i fill out the W9 with real info and send it back to Etsy are they going to show the IRS that it now matches what i file my taxes as or what??---My taxes are filed with correct name and EIN and correct amount i made on Etsy to clarify,just the name and address on etsy tax section are stealth and not matching
Old 12-07-2018

Longevity: 53%

Well you cannot reopen a shop in USA once you are banded, they require tax documents and that is something you do not want to ⊗⊗⊗⊗.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Old 12-08-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajunrook View Post
Well you cannot reopen a shop in USA once you are banded, they require tax documents and that is something you do not want to ⊗⊗⊗⊗.
This is the most confusing bunch of replies over what i thought was a simple question on a site that deals with setting up stealth accounts???---Is this not what stealth is about is being stealth on Etsy,Ebay,etc???---looks like im running out of time and will have to just decide what to do on my own---So Kajunrook are you saying i need to send Etsy the w9 with correct info????Can i get one straight answer instead of handful of in your windows?---Anybody that could possibly say what i should do under circumstances just PM me LOL----thanks

Last edited by ROWDYLANE; 12-08-2018 at 10:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ROWDYLANE For This Useful Post:
fadetoblk (01-03-2019)
Old 12-08-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDYLANE View Post
This is the most confusing bunch of replies over what i thought was a simple question on a site that deals with setting up stealth accounts???---Is this not what stealth is about is being stealth on Etsy,Ebay,etc???---looks like im running out of time and will have to just decide what to do on my own
You'll notice there are no Etsy stealth accounts being sold and that's because you can't really "stealth" etsy with the way they're setup. I think people here are trying to help you but there's only so much etsy knowledge floating around here.

Quote:
I filed for an EIN number as i was told to do from info i purchased on here and then i falsified the tax info on Etsy and used that EIN number as i was told to do from info i bought from Moderator on here
I can't believe a mod told you to do that, because there's no way that could possibly work long-term. As soon as Etsy sends out your first 1099 it would be rejected by the IRS as an invalid tax ID. The name + tax ID have to match. In the future if I were you, I'd be careful to only take advice from experienced USA sellers.

Filling out the W-9 with your corrected info is literally your only option. Doing so could link you to your old banned account but it's your only hope.

Good luck bud. I lost my best PP ever because I didn't send in the W-9 in time. If you just ignore the W-9 you'll lose your account for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
ROWDYLANE (12-09-2018), yankee (12-08-2018)
Old 12-09-2018
Threadstarter  

[QUOTE=phaz0rz;963487]You'll notice there are no Etsy stealth accounts being sold and that's because you can't really "stealth" etsy with the way they're setup. I think people here are trying to help you but there's only so much etsy knowledge floating around here.

I can't believe a mod told you to do that, because there's no way that could possibly work long-term. As soon as Etsy sends out your first 1099 it would be rejected by the IRS as an invalid tax ID. The name + tax ID have to match. In the future if I were you, I'd be careful to only take advice from experienced USA sellers.

Filling out the W-9 with your corrected info is literally your only option. Doing so could link you to your old banned account but it's your only hope.

Good luck bud. I lost my best PP ever because I didn't send in the W-9 in time. If you just ignore the W-9 you'll lose your account for sure.[/QUOTe
Thanks for the solid answer --it held up for over a yr and they never sent me a 1099 last yr but i still filed it all on my taxes-thanks for the info
Old 12-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

You made it through the first year because a 1099k wasn't sent out.

Now that you've past the threshold and one has been sent, the IRS is telling Etsy that your tax ID isn't valid.
Old 12-14-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
You made it through the first year because a 1099k wasn't sent out.

Now that you've past the threshold and one has been sent, the IRS is telling Etsy that your tax ID isn't valid.
Hey--i passed the threshold for 2017 by double but either way do i need to send this W9 with correct info back to Etsy to just try and save my shop from having money withheld or do i need to send it back so the IRS gets correct info back from Etsy or does it matter since i fill out my taxes with correct info??----and also if i do send it back do i need to change the name in Etsy tax info to correct??---I have got to decide in next day or 2 either way--thanks
Old 12-15-2018
Executive [VIP]

Send it back to etsy since they are the ones who sent it to you.

You probably weren't 1099'd in 2017 because you didn't pass both thresholds.
Old 12-15-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Send it back to etsy since they are the ones who sent it to you.

You probably weren't 1099'd in 2017 because you didn't pass both thresholds.
Hey--not sure it matters but i for sure well passed the item and money thresholds--thanks
Old 12-19-2018

Longevity: 44%

I recieved the same warning. They couldn't match my stealth id :/ So it will be closed