What will happen to Paypal after Ayden takes its place - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 01-28-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 38%
Default What will happen to Paypal after Ayden takes its place

I was thinking about this transition. I have no exact statistics but I do believe that eBay payments represent very high proportion of PayPal total transactions. What will happen to PayPal profits? Do you think it will decrease dramatically? I guess payments from eBay transactions have the biggest share out of paypal total payments.

I don't know, it looks like paypal doesn't care at all. I noticed that it became more strict and more harsh with its sellers instead of retaining its customers who shortly will be able to use ebay without PayPal. I really don't understand the logic of PayPal.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-28-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: What will happen to Paypal after Ayden takes its place

I think PP has been wprking on making its main income from other retail and online payments instead of eBay.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I agree with Saijin. The whole reason they split from eBay a few years ago was so they could focus on becoming more of a traditional payment processor. They probably knew what was planned 10 years before they told any of us about it.

They've been working hard on making Paypal/Venmo an option in traditional retail stores and it seems to be working. I see Paypal being accepted at new places all the time around town.

I think they'll be fine. Especially since Paypal will still be an option for buyers on eBay to use. As long as Paypal is still an option they will still make plenty on eBay transaction fees.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPbb View Post
I was thinking about this transition. I have no exact statistics but I do believe that eBay payments represent very high proportion of PayPal total transactions. What will happen to PayPal profits? Do you think it will decrease dramatically? I guess payments from eBay transactions have the biggest share out of paypal total payments.

I don't know, it looks like paypal doesn't care at all. I noticed that it became more strict and more harsh with its sellers instead of retaining its customers who shortly will be able to use ebay without PayPal. I really don't understand the logic of PayPal.
Yes, there's no doubt that eBay is a significant chunk of PayPal's payments volume. It's not going away suddenly, however. The transition to Managed Payment will take quite some time, possibly past 2023. it's unclear at this time if PayPal will remain one of the checkout options for buyers even when eBay Managed Payments becomes the De-Facto payments gateway.

Also keep in mind that PayPal use and scope goes far beyond eBay. We have just become so accustomed to believe PayPal is only for eBay's payments, which is no true. In fact, at this time one of PayPal's fastest growing market segments is P2P payments and other online retail sites.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
It's unclear at this time if PayPal will remain one of the checkout options for buyers
At this point it is clear. eBay is doing everything they can to ensure buyers that Paypal will remain a payment option.

Source : ebay link http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/...l#m22_tb_a1__4

Apparently it's taking them some time to integrate Paypal into the new model but by the time Adyen is rolled out en masse, it will be an option for all buyers.

EDIT: I suppose they could be fibbing in order to give buyers more time to get used to the new experience, but I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by phaz0rz; 01-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019
Super Moderator

So it'll be Paypal and Adyen.

Will we be forced to have an Adyen acc per ebay acc I wonder
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

The managed payments article I linked to makes it clear that PP will be an option for buyers but not for sellers. If buyers choose to pay with PP, the payment will go through ebay managed payments.

So this doesn't do anything to put the doubts of sellers at ease, really. It's just a way for eBay to keep buyers who refuse to pay with anything other than Paypal (which there are TONS of)
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019
Super Moderator

Ok so they'll start rolling adyen out mid 2020 and full out finish the transition mid 2021.

Which means we have about 18 months from today to really crush it on eBay.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Yep............ :(

Worst, worst case scenario I think people running business accounts already with EIN's on PP would be able to transition to managed payments using their EIN and business info. Slokor doesn't like it when people speculate though.. so we'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Phaz, that note you just posted here should give people hope that PayPal isn't going away anytime soon, possibly even for sellers.
Thanks for providing that.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
Ok so they'll start rolling adyen out mid 2020 and full out finish the transition mid 2021.

Why cant one “crush it” after Adyen rolls out?

What is going to stop people from stealth on Adyen? Etsy use adyen, wasn’t there a discussion about this on the forums? It is entirely possible to do stealth if Adyen uses the same verification methods as on Etsy from what I have read.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

I assume that Adyen is not much different than a typical Merchant bank that processes credit cards. This means the you will need to use the REAL info for an actual person to be approved fror such an account.

I doubt it will be possible to use made up details with Adyen as it currently done with PayPal. Times are changing when it comes to using a money service where KYC (Know Your Customer) financial regulations exist, especially in the USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
I assume that Adyen is not much different than a typical Merchant bank that processes credit cards. This means the you will need to use the REAL info for an actual person to be approved fror such an account.

I doubt it will be possible to use made up details with Adyen as it currently done with PayPal. Times are changing when it comes to using a money service where KYC (Know Your Customer) financial regulations exist, especially in the USA.
I understand, but again what about its integration on Etsy? Is etsy meaningless in regards to using it as a reference for how Adyen will operate on eBay? People stealth on Etsy, quite successfully.

This is also contradictory to the forum mantra that eBay makes tons of money off stealth. Seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot by eliminating stealth.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
This is also contradictory to the forum mantra that eBay makes tons of money off stealth. Seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot by eliminating stealth.
I'm sure it's not something they want to do and they would be perfectly fine with allowing good stealth accounts to operate forever if it were up to them. But like Nick said earlier their hand is being forced by KYC/AML regulations. It's similar to when Coinbase and all other crypto exchanges were forced to start getting ID's from customers. It would have been a lot more profitable for them to allow anyone to buy without an ID. But there was too much fraud going on, so new regulations were introduced.

While we're talking about crypto, I think it helped to point out flaws with traditional online payment systems which traditional payment processors are now being forced to patch. (for example, confirm your info to spend PP balance)

I'm guessing they don't mind taking a slight loss now by losing a few stealth accounts, if it's what is necessary for them to compete with Amazon moving forward. And they've determined Adyen is necessary to compete with Amazon.
Old 01-28-2019

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post

So its mid 2021 now? I thought it was in mid 2023??? Can someone clarify when paypal wont be an option for sellers?
Old 01-28-2019

Longevity: 49%

There is no guarantee that ayden will even go through. I've tried to get on the beta list for some time but each rep tells me to wait until more members are invited ��*♂️
Old 01-28-2019

Longevity: 49%

ofc there are 'illegal' ways to get by passed this ayden kyc thing. i don't want to advertise that on this site though.
Old 01-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I'm sure it's not something they want to do and they would be perfectly fine with allowing good stealth accounts to operate forever if it were up to them. But like Nick said earlier their hand is being forced by KYC/AML regulations. It's similar to when Coinbase and all other crypto exchanges were forced to start getting ID's from customers. It would have been a lot more profitable for them to allow anyone to buy without an ID. But there was too much fraud going on, so new regulations were introduced.

While we're talking about crypto, I think it helped to point out flaws with traditional online payment systems which traditional payment processors are now being forced to patch. (for example, confirm your info to spend PP balance)

I'm guessing they don't mind taking a slight loss now by losing a few stealth accounts, if it's what is necessary for them to compete with Amazon moving forward. And they've determined Adyen is necessary to compete with Amazon.
What Phaz said here is exactly what I wanted to emphasize.

A lot of what PayPal or Adyen does is not up to them.

They do it because they are forced to by "The Government".

Any company that handles and moves money, basically.
Banks
Brokers
Lenders/Credit Card Companies
Money Transmitters
Crypto Exchanges
Etc.

They are all tightly regulated, not just at the state level but by the Federal Reserve (FED) / Treasury, FinCEN, and a whole bunch of other little agencies you have probably never heard of.

If you don't like these requirements, call your elected officials and complain. They are the ones truly responsible.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
walkingupwards (01-28-2019)