Can banks give paypal my information if I owe paypal $ - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > Australia eBay & Paypal

Australia eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.com.au Suspensions and Paypal.com.au limited accounts. This forum is geared towards AU.

Old 05-05-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Re: Can banks give paypal my information if I owe paypal $

A relative of mine works for a bank in lending for businesses and they have said banks don't take PayPal debt seriously and that's not taken into account on your credit file as bad mark against your name on your credit file.

Hence the advantages of using stealth if done properly.

Having said that I'm not sure if the laws and procedures have changed to this date nor what they can or cannot do.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-05-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 56%

Here is what I must find out and I'm afraid that only a paypal employee, bank employee, debt agency employee, lawyers and someone with a time machine can answer.

1) Do banks provide my information? (probably do, according to GB and other people on the internet)
2) When Paypal sells my debt do they give debt agencies my real info? (probably do according to logic)
3) Can debt agencies bring me to court if they don't have proof that the debt is mine? (attached bank and regular payments is the only proof)
4) How long can they hold the debt? when it expires?
5) Is there a limit to the % that debt agencies can add to the debt?
6) What happens if the law changes in the future and will it change the situation or future laws doesn't affect past situations?
Old 05-05-2016

No Aussie bank will disclose the name of the account holder linked to PayPal if you owe them money.

PayPal debt collectors will say that this debt if unpaid will affect your credit rating but it won't. Aussie banks do not take any PayPal debt seriously.
Old 05-05-2016
Threadstarter  

If no bank will disclose any name then people would exploit that system to a point of Paypal going bankrupt, those 5% fees wouldn't be enough to cover the losses. It doesn't make sense. Paypal debt collectors wouldn't even know who you are and how to find you.
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Have you checked how many years the limitation is for debt in Oz?

The stuff about stealth names, I know it can be just a biz name, but I would not reveal that to a bank, although the bank sees the name anyway in theory on the credit.

In UK, the debt has to be in your legal name, if it is not, then it dont mean diddly...

The advice to explain it all to eb/pp - I did this last time, and they sent me generic emails for a week, I finally got someone to read what I had written, that I was hacked and I was now able to view the account, I mean I get they probably thought I was a scammer, but it did not add up, someone bypass my email notifications, it must have a trail on their system etc, I got no proper answer to specific questions, and I gave up....because in the end, I knew it was their problm not mine - however I lost a good eb/pp so it was a shame...

Last edited by oompaloompa; 05-06-2016 at 03:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oompaloompa For This Useful Post:
LilyPily (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemantina View Post
If no bank will disclose any name then people would exploit that system to a point of Paypal going bankrupt, those 5% fees wouldn't be enough to cover the losses. It doesn't make sense. Paypal debt collectors wouldn't even know who you are and how to find you.
Sure if its a low amount and stealth, paypal may count their losses.

If its a significant sum of money, it wont be a matter of debt, it will be a matter of neutralising criminal activity. So the authorities will get involved, at which point the whole 'disclosure' aspect of it can be thrown at the window as they seek to find the person behind the account.

remember, stealth is just for the purpose of making multiple accounts and getting back on ebay. if used for criminal activity, they can, and will find you.
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

debt is civil.

now if you were not sending goods and it was significant amounts, well that is a different matter.....not sure if pp would report you to outside authorities, not heard of that on the forum, but then again, I doubt anyone would admit to that ....... the only cases I ever heard of on TV were when customers complained direct to the authorities and they looked in to it......

in OP case I think the customers will get refunded by pp/eb and will not take it further......but OP should try and explain it to eb/pp, just in case it can be resolved, the tricky situation is that OP does not have even the email, or any security questions....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 05-06-2016 at 03:40 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oompaloompa For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-06-2016), LilyPily (05-06-2016), Play (05-06-2016), realdeals (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

idea - looking at it backwards...do you have the shipping address for any prior customers of those accs? eg. on the courier acc. Could you contact them, explain and ask for the email on their paypal transaction? longshot...
Old 05-06-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
debt is civil.

now if you were not sending goods and it was significant amounts, well that is a different matter.....not sure if pp would report you to outside authorities, not heard of that on the forum, but then again, I doubt anyone would admit to that ....... the only cases I ever heard of on TV were when customers complained direct to the authorities and they looked in to it......

in OP case I think the customers will get refunded by pp/eb and will not take it further......but OP should try and explain it to eb/pp, just in case it can be resolved, the tricky situation is that OP does not have even the email, or any security questions....
I agree with you on that, but if the debt get misconstrued and/or is interpreted in terms of theft (paypal can be crafty) - surely that becomes criminal law? - at which point authorities would get involved.
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPily View Post
A relative of mine works for a bank in lending for businesses and they have said banks don't take PayPal debt seriously and that's not taken into account on your credit file as bad mark against your name on your credit file.

Hence the advantages of using stealth if done properly.

Having said that I'm not sure if the laws and procedures have changed to this date nor what they can or cannot do.
Why are you implying that nothing will happen with bank accounts that might go to negative balance if paypal fiddles with them?

You are missing the issues entirely.
paypal presented with a bunch of accounts from the same bank is certainly not going to care abour your relative's opinions on them.
Old 05-06-2016

Ok. A bit of a misunderstanding. If YOUR bank account goes into negative balance - yes of course the bank will chase up on it they've got your details on file.

What I meant was if your bank account was closed down PRIOR to PayPal being able to draw from it making a negative balance. The banks will not disclose who the account holder is as there is no debt to the bank but only to PayPal.
Old 05-06-2016

Have a read of this article:

Christine Lee lived high life after alleged $4.6 million overdraft glitch by Westpac

This young lady was mistakenly given an UNLIMITED overdraft facility for which she overdrew over AUD $4.5 million dollars. This happened in 2012 and police were contacted by the bank that same year and she did not return the police's emails or telephone calls.

My question is why didn't the bank put a freeze or stop to her overdraft account but let her continue to withdraw funds for another 4 years?

Was there a loophole or glitch there or just massive incompetence and oversight by the bank?

This was a significant amount of money too.
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

She has poor taste in handbags too!

Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPily View Post
My question is why didn't the bank put a freeze or stop to her overdraft account but let her continue to withdraw funds for another 4 years?

Was there a loophole or glitch there or just massive incompetence and oversight by the bank?

This was a significant amount of money too.
Massive system glitch - and it was exploited very well
Old 05-06-2016
fuzzylogik

Longevity: 0%

No they can't do anything if you have done no Criminal Acts with the account as a Court order would be needed to get the info from the bank which a Debt collection agency CANNOT do.
Old 05-06-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
idea - looking at it backwards...do you have the shipping address for any prior customers of those accs? eg. on the courier acc. Could you contact them, explain and ask for the email on their paypal transaction? longshot...
Thank you! I don't have phone numbers but I got names and addresses. I will use data bases and contact them to find out my email and then call paypal.

Case closed

Regarding that "mistake" with the 4.5 millions, I would get to the bottom of this. I bet it was some fishy bankers idea to send the money to a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who will "spend" it all on ridiculous items which bought from their partners in China.
Old 05-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission156 View Post
No they can't do anything if you have done no Criminal Acts with the account as a Court order would be needed to get the info from the bank which a Debt collection agency CANNOT do.
Have you WORKED in a debt collection RECOVERY agency?

If not, then stop with the inaccurate claims.

Old 05-06-2016
Threadstarter  

I have a small question that can't stop bothering me and probably only GreenBean knows the answer. Totally different subject. I tried asking 5 different accountants and nobody knows for sure.
When I will get audited in the future, everything will be perfect except the hundreds of different names that I used to trade with. What the ATO going to do, will they pass it to the right department to cause problems or they will just check the numbers and if taxes are accurate I'm good to go?
Old 07-21-2016
MU

Longevity: 52%

In the future invest in cloud based storage like google drive. I wouldnt install the google app on ya laptop in case it was stolen. They they would have access. But upload some text or word files with your info. Or even bounce a email to you and archive it. Hell, I got info all the way back to 2007 in my yahoo account and google drive if needed/ And was lost otherwise!