Guide / Tutorial: Buying Bitcoin & Cashing out Bitcoin Anonymously - Page 4 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > CryptoCurrency

CryptoCurrency Discuss all CryptoCurrencies / coins and their use for personal or business purposes. Bitcoin (BTC) is possibly the best known but there are numerous crypto currencies, this is the forum to discuss them all.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
Default Re: Guide / Tutorial: Buying Bitcoin & Cashing out Bitcoin Anonymously

To be honest whoever use coinbase is complete bloody idiot why would you give a company your identification and on top of it pay them a fee.

I believe when purchasing anything should be fully private. I do not need some company holding on to vital info and all sudden gets hacked? Then what? Your info is float out there on World Wide Web.

Sellers of accounts please stop telling people to buy from coinbase. Tell them localbitcoins. We aren't here trying to raise another Paypal in the BTC world. Its already hard enough to deal with ebay/PP. Lets not create another PP monster.

Also I do NOT endorse localbitcoins. Although I believe its a great site to use when you need to purchase BTC. It helps out individual ordinary people NOT CORPORATIONs. Invest in small business NOT BIG BUSINESS LIKE COINBASE.

Last edited by blackfrosty; 03-27-2017 at 11:57 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-28-2017
Banned

Longevity: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Yeah I'm still not understanding your point of view, but lets chuck it to a misunderstanding

-- I agree this conversation is going no where, we should all move on
You didn't understand it because he chucked some random big words in his sentences, which make no sense given the context he used them in.

Last edited by parsierngue; 03-28-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsierngue View Post
You didn't understand it ....

ROFLMAO.....

Hooooooooly bloomin' Moses ! ...

elmo buddy..., you know where I am if you ever were sufficiently inclined enough to want to reach out to me directly, without requiring any recourse or input from anyone else for that matter.

Anyways, gotta run. Stuff to do.

--

Last edited by SUVE; 03-30-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2017
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 65%

pal, what do you want me to reach out to you about?

The back and forth debate about the UK bank transfer reversal was done with already

People put out their opinion and we moved on
Old 03-31-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
what do you want me to reach out to you about?

The back and forth debate about the UK bank transfer reversal was done with already

I do not expect you to reach out to me anyhow. That reply was in response to the above posters snarky comment. He clearly had not noticed people had moved on...

The back and forth on the bank transfer was clearly not 'done already' as you imagine as this issue came up (on another part of the forum which you do not have access to) over concerns for the overall community here about the misleading and inaccurate claims in some of your posts you have made in various places, and the negative impact this may have on other members of the forums who may take your posts seriously.

I had (initially) stuck up for you at that point in time (and even took on a poster who was perhaps a little heavy handed with you at the time.....) until I saw some of your recent posts in question myself......

--
Old 03-31-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVE View Post

I had (initially) stuck up for you at that point in time (and even took on a poster who was perhaps a little heavy handed with you at the time.....) until I saw some of your recent posts in question myself......

--
sounds special

Old 03-31-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
I really wish you would stop calling it an opinion

Its like when people say evolution is an opinion

Bah
Old 03-31-2017
Threadstarter  

@ SUVE if you feel I have said something inaccurate, please send me a private message and we can talk about it as I mostly speak from hard evidence and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
I really wish you would stop calling it an opinion

Its like when people say evolution is an opinion

Bah
I feel the same way!

Old 04-01-2017
Executive [VIP]

FYI: EACH HAS ITS RISKS....

US Based Exchanges POV: KYC & AML Regulation....

One thing that's omitted from a lot of folks who discuss this topic is they miss the point that you have to have an AML program in place, the licensing requirements, you have to have fraud & risk management in place, you have to have consumer protection processes in place.

The (Bank Secrecy Act) BSA "requires any person who owns or controls a money-transmitting business to register with the Treasury Department,". "That same act gives authority to the Treasury to determine what is a money-transmitting business, & Treasury delegated that authority to a bureau called FinCEN".

This means U.S. based exchanges may close down your accounts on their service if they notice that you re-sell coins on LocalBitcoins. This is so that they can comply with KYC & AML regulations.

In the U.S. pretty much each state has it's own regulations regarding this. Some require you to get a license as an MSB and comply with AML & KYC procedures. FinCEN has their own guidelines on the matter.
------------------

Bitcoin trades are public: all transactions are shared in a publicly available file called the Blockchain that’s posted to the Bitcoin peer-to-peer network.

That public ledger makes it pretty tough for big-time criminals to launder money through the network.

Each Bitcoin transaction generates a "blockchain" record showing its history, & the appended loose change thus identifies where the bulk of the money is going.

-----------------------

Selling bitcoins & turning them into cash without revealing your true identity is going to be extremely difficult, as all the major Bitcoin exchanges all demand proof of identity (specifically to avoid charges that they're involved in money laundering), & if they're broken down into smaller quantities to sell via a site like localbitcoins.com a paper trail will still be generated. As soon as it's possible to link one real-life bank account or identity to any bitcoins from that stash, it will be possible to work out their real-life identity.

--------------------------------------

Publicly known Real Life Localbitcoin Seller: Richard Weston.

Richard Weston, has been conducting Bitcoin transactions in person for over two years with hundreds of people & who is also the co-organizer of the DC Bitcoin Users’ Group. Every week, Weston trades between $0 & $4,000 in Bitcoin. He makes a slight profit on the fee, but certainly not enough to quit his job.

There are 100+ active sellers in Washington, DC alone. Richard Weston had a “reputation score” of a perfect 100.

Richard Weston has given interviews to mainstream news reporters, as well as having already spoken to Al Jazeera & NBC local, as well as a handful of DC’s omnipresent political bloggers), but from curious new users.

Richard Weston had this to say about buying & selling Bitcoins:

People don’t understand the reason Bitcoin was invented. It was not designed to be anonymous,” he said. “It allows two people to transact across a distance relatively free of fraud & censorship without a third party you may or may not trust”.

For my transaction, Weston took out an almost exhausted miniature legal pad, & carefully pens in my first name, the amount of the transaction in dollars ($20), & in Bitcoin (0.11912563).

Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. If he sends me too little, he can just send a second transfer to make it up. But if he sends me too much, he can’t just call his credit card company to reverse it. There would be no way to fix that except for me to give him more cash.

The next step is to confirm my Bitcoin wallet address, a 34-digit gibberish username. I set up my wallet with Blockchain.info at Weston’s recommendation. After he confirms mine, he logs into his own Blockchain wallet with two-step authentication on his smartphone. Finally, Weston inputs the amount of money he wants to send to from his wallet to mine.

I pass the money across the table & watch the bitcoins appear in my wallet in the same instant.

http://readwrite.com/2013/10/23/i-bo...what-happened/

---------------------------------

RE: U.S Secret Service targeted people using Localbitcoins.com.

On a hot Florida morning a week ago, a young Quebecker named Pascal Reid showed up at a boutique hotel in Miami’s Art Deco district, carrying a laptop & an electronic wallet that held $316,000 in digital currency.

Mr. Reid was expecting to meet a man who had purchased bitcoins from him before. The buyer was, in fact, an undercover agent for the U.S. Secret Service, which arrested Mr. Reid & charged him with money laundering.

The case has shone a spotlight on the way that virtual currencies such as bitcoin have been used for illicit purposes. The arrest is also significant because it targeted people using Localbitcoins.com, an online directory that is one of the last places where bitcoins can be traded anonymously, an expert said.

Bitcoin may be pseudonymous, but actually buying and selling bitcoins anonymously is not easy,” Nicholas Weaver, a senior researcher at the University of California at Berkeley’s International Computer Science Institute, said in an e-mail interview.

He said there were past examples of criminals using Localbitcoins.com as a black-market venue. “Criminals have to buy their bitcoin using some anonymous method. Thus it is natural to expect law enforcement to continue to focus on anonymous transactions used to buy and sell significant quantities of bitcoin
.”

The investigation began in early December last year when Secret Service Special Agent Mark Kramer went on the Localbitcoins.com website, looking for sellers of bitcoins. He saw that someone calling himself Proy33 could be contacted “anytime” to meet in public places and trade bitcoins for cash.

Less than two hours later, in the same hotel, in a similar investigation, investigators arrested Michell Abner Espinoza, a 30-year-old Peruvian who was approached on Localbitcoins.com in the same fashion as Mr. Reid.

Both men were each charged with two counts of money laundering and one count of operating an unlicensed money services business.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16831445/

----
Old 04-01-2017
Executive [VIP]

FYI: US Federal Prison sentence of 4 years for an account holder on LocalBitcoins...

-John Powell plead guilty to two charges of operating an unlicensed money service business (MSB) for operating an account on LocalBitcoin. He was sentenced to four years in Federal prison.

-Charlie Shrem plead guilty to one count of aiding & abetting an unlicensed money transmitter, for helping Silk Road customers anonymously purchase bitcoin. He was sentenced to two years in prison, & forfeited $950,000.

Both cases resulted in federal prison sentences for the defendants, & were directly tied to the unlicensed operation of a money service business (A money transmitter, as mentioned In Mr. Shrem’s case, is a subcategory of money service business that provides money transfer services).

This means that individuals running Bitcoin businesses cannot afford to ignore U.S. laws- Federal & Local law enforcement are taking notice.
----
Old 04-01-2017
Executive [VIP]

FYI:

LocalBitcoins connects users looking to buy or sell bitcoin. However, any sale of Bitcoin for profit, fits FinCEN’s definition of an exchanger.

LocalBitcoins neither provides anti-money laundering services for its users, nor verifies whether their customers are MSBs. Like eBay, the site connects buyers & sellers, & allows them to buy or sell in small or large amounts. However, money transmission is much more regulated than physical goods.

Mr. Powell’s sentencing demonstrates how sellers on Localbitcoins can face criminal charges if they do not comply with AML regulations.

The Localbitcoins business model closely resembles many bitcoin ATM manufacturers in this regard. Many bitcoin ATM manufacturers sell operational Bitcoin ATM’s, but responsibility for compliant operation of the machines falls on the owners, who operate the ATMs as MSBs.

----

elmo, in summary...

What you are doing within this thread is within the boundary of facilitating, or engaging in illegal activity easily resulting in felony charges, & Federal prison. Heck, your thread title says it all : -

It would not surprise me if x amount of time down the line, we hear or read about an aspkin forum user 'has been busted by Federal agents' or even if some Federal agents are infact active on here, actively targeting folks like yourself in gathering data & intelligence. It would obviously bring aspkin into disrepute.

I understand all sorts happens out here, but this is just ....right out here all in the open to all.

I have no dog in this race so to speak, I only tell you in good faith.

Good luck.

_

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 04-03-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2017
Threadstarter  

That is being a bit over dramatic.

Purchasing Bitcoin with cash is not illegal.

What the individual does with the bitcoin, or why they're doing it, is their own business. I follow the law and expect everyone to do the same.
Old 04-02-2017
Executive [VIP]

Elmo....

You really did not or could not refute anything from the above content of my posts. ...

By being over dramatic, would you mean:

-Whether U.S. based exchanges may close down your accounts on their service if they notice that you re-sell coins on LocalBitcoins ? Nope, this is a reality.
-Whether undercover agent for the U.S. Secret Service or other State & Federal agents target LocalBitcoins ? Nope, that is also a reality.
-Whether actually buying & selling bitcoins anonymously is not easy ? Because it is not.
-Whether buyers on LocalBitcoins could, in fact, be an undercover agent for the U.S. Secret Service ? Nope, 100% possible & real. Proven.
-Whether John Powell who was sentenced to four years in Federal prison for operating an account on LocalBitcoins deemed an unlicensed money service business (MSB) alternative fact ? Nope, 100% real.
-Whether U.S. Federal & Local law enforcement are taking notice of places like LocalBitcoins ?
-You mean the exchange platform LocalBitcoin does not adhere to KYC/AML &/or CFT standards thus its users are exposed to law enforcement actions etc etc ?

-Or any other number of points from that content above that have remained unrefuted ?
-------------

'Purchasing Bitcoin with cash is not illegal'.

though I did not state this reductionist position anywhere, I fear our beloved elmo's is positing another of his many fantasies upon us once again (certainly no context given beyond this vague notion).

Wrong.

-OK, you mean can 'purchase Bitcoins with cash' or otherwise.... in countries whereby it IS illegal outright to do anything with Bitcoins or any crypto currencies for that matter, hmm...

-----

'I follow the law'...

Is buying & selling/operating 'anonymously' not antithesis to following the Law, no ?

Given the 'Law' (or governments) have a monopoly on currency as do banks, they have a vested interest in 'attacking' the crypto currencies (as they have done so previously) via these 'Laws'..

[U]Can you point to a single jurisdiction, state, province or country where buying & selling Bitcoins 'anonymously' (where Bitcoin trading/buying/selling is authorized/regulated/allowed) is in compliance with the 'Law' ?;,

I stress the operative word here, anonymously.

operate anonymously = law compliance......

that 'Law':
-pertaining to taxation guidelines or implications for buying/selling Bitcoins ?
-covering anti-money laundering & combating the financing of terrorist regulations/provisions (AML/CFT) ?
-the prohibition & outright ban of the use of Bitcoins in the said country altogether ?

Bear in mind that a money transmitter is a business entity that provides money transfer services or payment instruments.And after all, bitcoin can be spent, traded, & bought, making it a way of transmitting money around the world.

Such individual bitcoin users may or may not be looked at as money transmitters, as long as they buy, sell, & trade bitcoin in exchange for goods & services.

In the US they are required to register with FinCEN, abide by the Federal laws & be registered in the state they are transacting in. This is a regulated financial transaction & anyone engaged in this business & not properly licensed & registered can be charged (as cited in this thread in my posts).

The LocalBitcoiners who go each week buying & selling are technically breaking both state & federal law:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011...2011-18309.pdf

Since you obey the law, I am sure you will no doubt be able to show proof to James of your money transmitter license given your Bitcoin Trader activity in the US : - I am sure James will confirm what an upstanding citizen of the aspkin community you are when he finally confirms to the rest of us of your registration & license status . ....

I dare say, 'following the Law' & operating 'anonymously' as you have understood it & outlined on your original thread is an oxymoron.

And, you are not really as anonymous in the objective meaning of that term as James has pointed out several times on this thread (i.e Bank account linkage or ID requirements) & so forth.

And, you have far bigger risks & concerns than chargebacks (esp if you are in the US, as law enforcement is keeping a close eye on the very platform & where need be doing sting operations on subjects on LocalBitcoins, some whom are now in Federal Prisons doing time) as that seems a pity side show compared to some of the more serious issues raised in my posts, backed up by credible source data or citation.

I'll leave this here & let others make their own minds up as to the accuracy of the information left here for their benefit & insight, lest they be led up a garden path.

-------

Last edited by SUVE; 04-02-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2017
Threadstarter  

I'm not going to argue with you.

If you don't feel comfortable trading Bitcoin, simply don't trade it.
Old 04-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I'm not going to....
I can't say I am surprised at such a cop out.

This was never ever about me or about the legitimacy of the crypto currency itself. ... :-

tl;dr

Bitcoin isn’t supposed to be 100% anonymous,...In fact, it’s probably the most transparent currency. Even though Bitcoin transactions are conducted anonymously, they can be traced.

And Law enforcement on the US side of it at Federal & State level are keeping a very close tab on the platform LocalBitcoins. They have conducted numerous sting operations where they see fit & indeed some folks are serving Federal Prison time as a result (FACT-checkable & some referenced on this very page further up).

The moral here for the rest of you standing back watching this drama play out on this train-wreck of a thread is this:-

You do this at your own peril & at your own personal risk & take responsibility for any losses or adverse outcomes that may arise here within: 'anonymous' buying/selling Bitcoins as ascribed on page one of this thread...

anyhow, .....

--

Last edited by SUVE; 04-03-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Thanks for your opinion SUVE.
Old 04-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion SUVE.

Ahh, I wish I could accept such unrefuted quoted material such as this as my 'opinion' :

Except you failed to notice hardly any of it is my opinion.

I actually quoted material here amongst them a few other crypto experts & specialists & some whom I recall having master’s in law…a master’s in statistics, a couple doctorates…& so on....

All Fact-checkable, of course ....

:--

Last edited by SUVE; 04-03-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Thank you for taking the time to bring the information forward
Old 04-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to bring the information forward

Unfortunately, it was done out of necessity for the benefit of others here.

----

Last edited by SUVE; 04-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Cheers mate
Old 04-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Thread is just becoming a lot of back and forth now so I am going to lock it for a while
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
Ebayorbust (04-05-2017), SUVE (04-08-2017)
Closed Thread