Anyone run a retail website? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 08-20-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default Anyone run a retail website?

Right now Im only selling on ebay but the fees are getting to be ridiculous as well as dealing with scamming customers. I've pondered opening a retail website to sell to alot of my repeat customers but I need something very simplistic and easy to use with little cost and that I can link paypal too. Any ideas?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 33%
Longevity: 93%

You can't use paypal on an Amazon Webstore. It only accepts Amazon Payments.
Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,910 Times in 8,203 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

I dont see the relation of Amazon for the OP in anyway - he just wants his own retail website....that's allowable by PP
Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 33%
Longevity: 93%

Sorry, I read Anyone as Amazon somehow. Haha
Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

What % of scammers are you getting? If its much above 1% (which is very high IMO) you need to reasses the items you are selling, and how you are posting them
Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,910 Times in 8,203 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/shippin...ilers-3-a.html

Interesting by jeffweico OP for you to evaluate the scams/returns aspect
Old 08-20-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
What % of scammers are you getting? If its much above 1% (which is very high IMO) you need to reasses the items you are selling, and how you are posting them
I used to get maybe 1 for every 50 items I sold, now its more like 1 out of 25, I sell clothing and I specifically state in all my listings that I dont accept returns for sizing and to ask if you need measurements.

Alot of it is cases of the item not fitting, and knowing I wont accept a return for that they will open a case and claim its damaged or that I sent the wrong item but then when I get the item back I discover that they've lied and its not damaged or its the exact item as listed. Which that makes me mad but usually unless its seasonal I can resell it but lately I've been getting more and more women buying NWT items, keeping them a few weeks then opening a case claiming some defect etc and they return them to me and they've been worn tags are gone and they have deodorant stains and smell like perfume, this is especially the case with nicer dresses or formal wear, they just want to wear it for one night then return it.

It's getting pretty old. The trouble with ebay of course is its the seller vs buyer in these situations and ebay always sides with the buyer when the item has already been sent back to the seller, I've never known them not to, even when the buyer is pulling a fast one. I'd like to have a website that I could direct my repeat/good customers to and not deal with ebay as much. The only thing I have found so far is shopify, has anyone dealt with them?
Old 08-20-2013

Longevity: 69%

I have a website...Its very easy because I made it easy...Not really any programming involved.

I use Fatcow as my host, when you signup you can use some of their templates and different services...I chose weebly because its pretty easy. Its a drag your pics into a square and bam...you are done...I dont use paypal, but i use google checkout(which i know is stopping their service).

it was just like paypal to where it creates the code and all you do is copy and paste the code into the section where you want it...but I just got done trying wepay(same type of coding with the buy it now buttons)...and despite the reviews...it worked fine for me.

I did a couple test purchases...that i set myself...where i would buy the item...wait for the purchase to complete(which was realy quick despite the reviews) and it only took a few days for it to hit my account...so it looks like I am leaning towards that service..

i think i got off topic..sorry
Old 08-20-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreech41311 View Post
Right now Im only selling on ebay but the fees are getting to be ridiculous as well as dealing with scamming customers. I've pondered opening a retail website to sell to alot of my repeat customers but I need something very simplistic and easy to use with little cost and that I can link paypal too. Any ideas?
Have I got news for you!!!!

Please read the below thread.....

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...-business.html

This may well be the door opening to your new venture.

Keep in mind scammers can happen anywhere.

That said, look over the thread. It's very exciting

Old 08-24-2013

Longevity: 82%

Traffic is the problem, you're gonna have to spend $ on getting customers to your website which is the advantage eB has. Unless you have some really loyal customers who would be willing to purchase from your website. Even if they would you would still be missing out on a ton of potential customers if you don't advertise. Everything in business cost money or time....

-Albert Einstein
Old 06-29-2014

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Anyone run a retail website?

you have to market before you sell a product. marketing is key
Old 06-29-2014

Longevity: 74%

just search for e-commerce platforms in google and you will get all of your questions answered.
Old 06-30-2014

Longevity: 57%

I know if a site you can sell on and they advertise on Google, you choose the amount your willing to pay them and they will advertise up to that amount, if it cost them less then they pass on the savings to you, if your interested send me a message.
Old 06-30-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

It's much easier to do it on your own but as another member pointed out, while you control the platform (your website), you're in charge of driving traffic as well and while eBay drives a lot of buying traffic to your products, the good thing about your own website is you can capture your traffic (capture emails) and market to your customers over and over again (repeat business) that is much cheaper and stable in the long run. I started with my own eCommerce websites before I got into eBay. I use eBay differently than most people.. it's not a center piece of my online marketing (I don't rely on it entirely). Its simply another traffic source like Amazon, Google and social platforms. Make sense?
Old 07-03-2014

Longevity: 57%

With the site I'm talking about about you can import listings from eBay, Amazon, and etsy. I agree that eventually you want a site and spread out your eggs.
Old 07-04-2014

Longevity: 66%

Selling on eBay is like renting a store in mall when there is a lot of traffic. The day you open, customers show up. But one day, you can find your store gone with a MC999 notice on the front door.

Building your own website is like building a store on deserted street at first. You have to do marketing to get customers to find your store and come back. Once the site is aged and known, you will get regular customers.
Old 07-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Big Cartel - Simple shopping cart for artists, designers, bands, record labels, jewelry, crafters

Big Cartel is pretty inexpensive to run. It really is only suited well for certain products though. Clothing and other items.

Might be worth looking into if you have a product that fits.
Old 07-12-2014
Administrator

I wouldn't suggest services like 'BIG Cartel', it's better to use something like WordPress + WooCommerce (or any of the other WordPress based shopping carts) because there are no monthly fees and you control everything where with services like Big Cartel, they control everything. I mean what's the point of having your own website if you don't control it?
Old 07-15-2014

Longevity: 72%

I like the idea of Wordpress. It's done wonders for professional sites, including for our company. Haven't used a cart plugin with it though..
Old 07-15-2014

i have wordpress woocommerce reatail clothing just finished the site 4 days ago. was thinking of selling on ebay aswell maybe its not worth !!
Old 07-16-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I wouldn't suggest services like 'BIG Cartel', it's better to use something like WordPress + WooCommerce (or any of the other WordPress based shopping carts) because there are no monthly fees and you control everything where with services like Big Cartel, they control everything. I mean what's the point of having your own website if you don't control it?
You have a good point. These services look interesting. In my post I said it was for some basic items. Basically tech dummies like myself.

The sites you suggest might be out of the grasp of some people. Even if they aren't that technology challenged. The site I suggested is simple for those whom have products who fall within the category.

Maybe a starting point and later jump to other endeavors as you have alluded to. We all must start somewhere. I always like to give people the easiest option to get off the ground. Then they can make their own decisions once they get the momentum and the ball rolling. I encourage people to follow their dream and step out and get in the game and see what happens.

With any business venture or anything you want to do in life. The most important thing is to get people to take the leap or the plunge. Get in the game and then you can see how things develop. Until people take that plunge, it is a huge barrier for the majority.

Last edited by vogeltron; 07-16-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2014
Administrator

It's a BAD starting point.. as a person who has done it for the past 10+ years.. stay away from sites like that.. there are MUCH better and easier options out there as I pointed out. Heck I installed a SFB member's shopping cart last night.. it took less than 5 minutes and their website looks very professional. They're able to manage their website easily without any instructions and all it cost was $5 a month web hosting.