F*** the big merchant portals... a thread for building your own thing - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 03-27-2017
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Re: F*** the big merchant portals... a thread for building your own thing

Yes, I am really impressed at how well the stand along commerce site is doing. It's exceeded my expectations in a pretty big way.

I am really glad I did this and not looking back.

I am about 20% of the way there towards complete independence.

I stand by my original thoughts on the topic, you don't need these big portals to do a good business. Use them to gain independence, and then say goodbye to all of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idds For This Useful Post:
BlackLion (03-27-2017), bronwyn (04-16-2017)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-27-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 23%
Longevity: 58%
Default Re: F*** the big merchant portals... a thread for building your own thing

Thanks for the update! I don't need eb to make a living. I am going to finally start my ecommerce venture(s) soon!
idds (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 44%

Use Magento if you can. Don't give fees to shopify, etc
Old 03-28-2017

Longevity: 43%

Hi idds,

I was just reading through your thread about starting your own ecommerce site and it hit home as that's something I'm about to venture into myself. I was curious if you had any early setbacks or things to avoid in the first couple months when building out the site and getting things started?

I'm going to continue selling on eBay so this will just be an additional potential revenue stream. But at the same time, I'd eventually like to be able to push people directly to my stand alone site where I don't have to give eBay/PP their cut of the fees. Very interested in hearing from you, but will absolutely understand if you'd like to keep certain strategies to yourself.

All the best,

TN

***can't send PMs yet but I'll get a few posts in if you'd rather reply there
Old 03-28-2017
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2016 View Post
Hi idds,

I was just reading through your thread about starting your own ecommerce site and it hit home as that's something I'm about to venture into myself. I was curious if you had any early setbacks or things to avoid in the first couple months when building out the site and getting things started?

I'm going to continue selling on eBay so this will just be an additional potential revenue stream. But at the same time, I'd eventually like to be able to push people directly to my stand alone site where I don't have to give eBay/PP their cut of the fees. Very interested in hearing from you, but will absolutely understand if you'd like to keep certain strategies to yourself.

All the best,

TN

***can't send PMs yet but I'll get a few posts in if you'd rather reply there

This thread is very motivating. Keep us posted on updates please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017

Longevity: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by idds View Post
Yes, I am really impressed at how well the stand along commerce site is doing. It's exceeded my expectations in a pretty big way.

I am really glad I did this and not looking back.

I am about 20% of the way there towards complete independence.

I stand by my original thoughts on the topic, you don't need these big portals to do a good business. Use them to gain independence, and then say goodbye to all of them.

Any updates to this, Idds? Hopefully things are picking up for you!
Old 12-14-2017

Longevity: 59%

I have a few stealth accounts after getting kicked off of ebay years ago. They used to have the featured listing option, for $19 an auction and I used to use that to get first or second page placement, as I had a six figure business with them. I paid them approx. $5000 a month. We had three sites at one time, all legit, and the auctions stopped showing up and the sales started to dwindle. For months I was asking my rep., who claimed to have no idea. Come to find out, ebay had cancelled the program but was still taking sellers money! I paid for months without knowing, and they eventually ended up with a class action lawsuit after so many of us weren't able to cover our fees, and they kicked us all off. They did that for THREE YEARS! Awful. They owe me thousands of dollars..we all got a couple of hundred in the suit and I am still banned for life! The only way to make money is to use ebay as your conduit to get customers for your own business. One sale on ebay should be all a customer does, from then on they should be buying on your site. That is the only way to protect yourself as they are not your friend! You own the customer once they purchase. You can contact them by email and you can put your information in the package. Do they read it? Not necessarily, but I have found a way to give them something that they do read and they do keep! It works and has freed me. I also use an automated mail program to keep in touch with them. I would be happy to talk to anyone about this and help anyone who wants to use my system. They have too much control and they do not care about you or your business. You have to play by the rules of course, but also cover your back. I learned the hard way, but I learned!! Anyone who wants to message me is more than welcome. We can use them the way they use us.....