Storage Question??? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 03-06-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Default Re: Storage Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDThedoc View Post
Meet in Vegas maybe? Aspkin convention!

Maybe for next years offprice and ASD shows. Something to think about.
There is actually much larger shows temp or permanent in other states.

Vegas is not for me.

Come to Florida where you have 1000s of importers, liquidation, closeouts companies spaced all over the state.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-06-2014

Longevity: 68%

I rent a 20x20 unit that have climate control, security entry etc. I stack 12 of shelves along the wall and 10 bin in the middle of the unit for items that cannot be stack on the shelves. Bought the shelves at homedepot when it was on sale for half off.

Edsal 48 in. W x 72 in. H x 24 in. D Steel Commercial Shelving Unit-UR-245 at The Home Depot

Even then, my items is overflowing my house as well, next step is a warehouse like Sandy.
Old 03-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Climate control and security entry is smart move - far from your home?
Old 03-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
Thanks Sandy. As of right now. The outside shed is not a problem. As long as I am using it for more than about 4 months pencils out compared to most storage units. Personally trying to move out of the Nor Cal area south~ish to NV or AZ. Which because of the desert may prove problematic at some point.

Overall just don't have much room left. I have one pretty nice plastic storage shed (with moderate weather here is ok) already that was $300 and I had to spend another $150+ on wood to build a base and keep it out the elements. Probably going to buy another similar of the same thing. I guess when you get to this point it is "one of those good problems".

I still haven't read the other posts, but dont come to NV. The swap meets or garage sales here have been picked clean.

I just meet a older couple that do the same thing like Sandy but they work it together all of the time. They told me they are leaving Vegas to move to mid or southern CA. They have lots more swap meets in CA than in Vegas or NV area. AZ is a little better off but CA is the place to be. Lots of big cites within a short driving distance.

Hell, when ever I want to go to a swap meet or something like "picking", I am still learning about it, I mostly go around the San Diego or Victorville or Hesperia area. But Vegas is picked clean.

When I was in Tulsa, OK for a few months, I found tons of estate sales from retired folks who wanted to down size but I dont have any experience in that. Sandy or someone with knowledge with that can make a killing there. Lots of estate sales but not much garage sales. Didn't make much money so I left back to Vegas.

**added after reading entire thread--I just rent a small 10x10 storage unit. Since most of my items are very small computer parts I dont need lots of space. I put everything in small plastic containers with velcro labels. I write off storage space on taxes.

Last edited by yotano211; 03-07-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2014

Longevity: 58%
Send a message via AIM to MDThedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Come to Florida where you have 1000s of importers, liquidation, closeouts companies spaced all over the state.
I believe it. I do business with a few liquidation/close-out companies in Florida and it has paid off handsomely.

And I believe Vogeltron was mentioning NV or AZ as a state to live in for less than it would be where he already resides, California. Cost of living comes into play, not where you can go picking or find cheap goods nearby. There's a thing called the internet now boys and girls, where you can order your products.

I was able to get me a 5 bdrm, 3500 sqft house with a pool, outdoor bbq, and putting green (yes, I'm an avid golfer) for $129k. If I didnt already have a wife and kids, my extra bedrooms would be used for storage. Already use one of the rooms as well as the garage, and I rent a 20x20 climate controlled, security storage unit nearby. Buying a home instead of a warehouse may prove worthy, especially for all the single bachelors out there

AZ is the place to be, . Took me literally 1 week to get my business license, sellers permit, TPT license, etc. whereas in California it took much longer (posting ad in newspaper for 3 months? pfffft forget that).

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

oh ok now I understand. I would esp. say come to Vegas to buy a home but home prices here have gone up a good 10-12% within a year but still tons of good homes for sale that come pretty cheap. And the plus side that Vegas has tons of storage places to store things. Vegas has storage units on every corner.

What do you mean that you have to post an ad on the newspaper to get a business license. Sorry if I asked I dont understand that part or have no experience with that. I got my LLC business license and sales tax certificate in NV, it only took about 2 weeks.

I know other states take longer or have more hassles, hence my question.

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-08-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2014

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Climate control and security entry is smart move - far from your home?
About 2 min drive for me :D I would love to expand to a warehouse like Sandy someday. I'm planning a trip to one of the SE Asian country at the end of this year so that might help in expansion
Old 03-08-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDThedoc View Post
I believe it. I do business with a few liquidation/close-out companies in Florida and it has paid off handsomely.

I am at one at least once a week. An actual USA DHGATE seller is less then one hour from me here in Florida.

I was able to get me a 5 bdrm, 3500 sqft house with a pool, outdoor bbq, and putting green (yes, I'm an avid golfer) for $129k.

Same here, 5 bdr, 3 bath home with a caged pool and lanai but the HOA wont allow any outside buildings at all. And I sure the heck did not get it for 129k or even close. Dual master bedrooms which I use one for my office/command center. or as my kids call it Moms bunker.

If I didnt already have a wife and kids, my extra bedrooms would be used for storage. Already use one of the rooms as well as the garage, and I rent a 20x20 climate controlled, security storage unit nearby. Buying a home instead of a warehouse may prove worthy, especially for all the single bachelors out there
Always a way to work things out but it has to be suited to what fits you the best.
Old 03-09-2014

Longevity: 58%
Send a message via AIM to MDThedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Same here, 5 bdr, 3 bath home with a caged pool and lanai but the HOA wont allow any outside buildings at all. And I sure the heck did not get it for 129k or even close. Dual master bedrooms which I use one for my office/command center. or as my kids call it Moms bunker.

But yea, you got a nice setup it seems. Same with me. 5 bdrms, 1 storage room, 1 guest room, 1 for the kids, 1 for the office and 1 of course for the king and queen. Arizona real estate so cheap, even STILL. I bought at the lowest part in the market in 2011 after the "recession" (wont get into politics). Got lucky, but ive noticed, timing is everything in life, for business or personal.

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-12-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshintr View Post
About 2 min drive for me :D I would love to expand to a warehouse like Sandy someday. I'm planning a trip to one of the SE Asian country at the end of this year so that might help in expansion
I would love do to that as well. Maybe some day.
Old 03-10-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Bought a second 70 Cubic feet "plastic shed" to throw the slow selling not high value items in.

Will do ok for the time being. Going to make a NV/AZ move within the next year. Might have to leave these units behind. Seriously this guy trying to break CA into 6 States? I mean I sympathize with 6 but even 2 or 3 would be nice. I am so sick of these people from LA. Sorry but you can go to f yourself, especially after the B Stow incident. San Diego is ok. But F LA.

I am so thankful for members like Sandy D and RSOT who have helped get me back on track and get serious about this again. Feels so awesome to feel alive again. Even Greenie my favorite moderator with much encouragement.

The 1099k and MC999 sucked the air out of soo many US stealthers. So nice to be in a community with people who can offer advice and refuse to give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
rsot (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014
Banned

With the last purchase of the estate, after sorting it all out and with the 4 pallets purchased from a liquidation center I can now say I am jammed wall to wall and now parking the truck and new utility trailer outside for the first time.

Heading to a huge auction tonight and will have to borrow Vogeltrons new building to store items in if I get anything.

The pallet of items should do well on Amazon as all items are ranked below 500.

Not sold a ton of Amazon but will be moving a ton of items on Amazon starting tomorrow.

Thinking of doing a lot of FBA. ??
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
signal63 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

I just got wind that my buddy in WI took an old junker vehicle - stripped it out and used it for storage hah - a beat up junker in the backyard...yikes
Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Wow. Proverbial piece of rubbish being put to good use

Old 03-12-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I just got wind that my buddy in WI took an old junker vehicle - stripped it out and used it for storage hah - a beat up junker in the backyard...yikes
Pretty bad when someone is so cheap they have to resort to this.
Old 03-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

He`s been hit hard with recent break up and custodial issues so...yeah :( anyhow back to the topic. It was pretty cheap move though
Old 03-13-2014

Longevity: 63%

Im not sure how much you are wanting to spend on a unit but at lowes they have a 2 story wooden shed that's about $7000 installed, they don't have it online but its usually set up on display in their parking lots, at least it is around here, the ones here have a sage green paint color on them. Anyway they have a full 2 stories of useable space with a staircase. You can get them cheaper if you want to install it yourself. Also look up metal building manufacturers in your local area, here where Im at I am getting a 12x20 all metal garage installed for less than $4K this summer, the only thing is I have to get the concrete pad poured ahead of time but they come and build it on site in 1 day, the metal buildings are often more affordable in the long run since they don't need the same maintenance (painting etc) as the wood but if you live in an area with massive snow falls or high winds they can be prone to collapse without the expensive truss systems.
Old 07-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

I use climate control storage. Yes I have to pay about $180 a month. But, its secure, large and air conditioned. Believe me in Florida that is a necessity in the summer. Plus I don't like having so much stock at home with all the home invasions going on. We do keep a large safe in the house, but most of money is tucked far away from any of these.
Old 07-18-2014

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 70%

Are self storage secure? Has anyone had any problems? Does anyone have any insurance for your self storage units?
Old 07-19-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
Are self storage secure? Has anyone had any problems? Does anyone have any insurance for your self storage units?
The ones I have are gated and a 24 hour guard.

Yes, insured your items.
Old 07-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
Heck yeah.

On-site security, back to base alarm.

Insurance is a given.

( tax deduction too )

Old 07-19-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Heck yeah.

On-site security, back to base alarm.

Insurance is a given.

( tax deduction too )

Could be different in Florida. But in California. The insurance is really worthless. You are paying like $10 a month for $1000 worth of insurance. Caps out at like $5k or some really small amount. The times I have had a storage unit. I basically just forgo the insurance.