EBay Asks For VAT registration - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-26-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 22%
Default EBay Asks For VAT registration

I really need advice from someone who has been in same situation as me.I have recently hit 85k rolling turnover and ebay have send me email to register for VAT to comply with law or they may suspend my account for further listings.It is my legit business account (not stealth) and i have been trading for more than 10 years.In the past years I hardly made over 30-40K turnover but this year has been good and i did 87K although my profit is no more than 20% of this figure .As soon as i got the msg from Ebay i have stopped all my listing and i am planning to stop trading untill my threshold go below 80K .Does anybody knows if this is going to work or I will be still asked to provide VAT registration ?
I did lots of research and I was thinking to open fresh Limited company with VAT registration but I still will not be trading for few months .I will just upload the VAT to satisfy EBay in case they block my account .After few months when my turnover fall bellow 80k I would close the limited company and de-register for VAT .Not sure if this is going to work so any advice from someone more familiar with this matter would be greatly appreciated .
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-28-2020

Longevity: 27%
Default Re: EBay Asks For VAT registration

Your account will be blocked now until you comply. Theres no 'turning back', so essentially you will a vat number to continue trading even if you sell nothing for a year. You can alternatively set up another account and use the same PayPal, but I wouldnt say this is a long term solution, but it works.

There are workarounds, but those that have found them will keep them to themselves as the knowledge is far too valuable to share openly.
Old 05-28-2020

Activity: 21%
Longevity: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilianpinpin View Post
I really need advice from someone who has been in same situation as me.I have recently hit 85k rolling turnover and ebay have send me email to register for VAT to comply with law or they may suspend my account for further listings.It is my legit business account (not stealth) and i have been trading for more than 10 years.In the past years I hardly made over 30-40K turnover but this year has been good and i did 87K although my profit is no more than 20% of this figure .As soon as i got the msg from Ebay i have stopped all my listing and i am planning to stop trading untill my threshold go below 80K .Does anybody knows if this is going to work or I will be still asked to provide VAT registration ?
I did lots of research and I was thinking to open fresh Limited company with VAT registration but I still will not be trading for few months .I will just upload the VAT to satisfy EBay in case they block my account .After few months when my turnover fall bellow 80k I would close the limited company and de-register for VAT .Not sure if this is going to work so any advice from someone more familiar with this matter would be greatly appreciated .
If you want to save your ebay account I would do this. As it's your legitimate account with real details you will want it for future use rather than have it sit idle and restricted from listing items especially with ebay managed payments on the horizon.

The work arounds are setting up stealths but that involves time and money and patience. And at the moment people are not having a lot of luck doing it.
Old 05-28-2020

Quote:
If you want to save your ebay account I would do this. As it's your legitimate account with real details you will want it for future use rather than have it sit idle and restricted from listing items especially with ebay managed payments on the horizon.

The work arounds are setting up stealths but that involves time and money and patience. And at the moment people are not having a lot of luck doing it.
Old 05-28-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post

Theres far more workarounds for getting rid of that VAT flag,but its definitely never going to be discussed on an open forum.

However with MAnaged Payments soon to be, new accounts are going to be fun thats for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pathos For This Useful Post:
ilianpinpin (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020
Threadstarter  

Thanks to all that replay .I probably didn't mention that my ebay account is not blocked as yet .I have several listings which are put on holiday settings and account is still running fine ,no more ebay messages regarding VAT
Old 05-30-2020

Quote:
Thanks to all that replay .I probably didn't mention that my ebay account is not blocked as yet .I have several listings which are put on holiday settings and account is still running fine ,no more ebay messages regarding VAT
Your account remains that way, you cant list, nor sell. You will have a big red box comes up stating your HMRC obligations when you try to add quantity, or create new listings. It is effectively blocked till you comply.
Old 06-27-2020
Threadstarter  

I have tried to list an item today just to check if my account is already restricted and yes ,message popped on screen that I need to provide VAT .I haven't traded for over a month and my threshold went under 85k.
I have received private msg from this forum member with very useful info regarding VAT but I am not able to replay to him and ask few more question as it says I need at least 25 posts to be able to .Is there any way I become a member of a private forum ?
Old 06-27-2020
Threadstarter  

How do i get access to these workarounds you mentioned below and where these are discussed ?I would like to become private member

QUOTE=Pathos;1096402]Theres far more workarounds for getting rid of that VAT flag,but its definitely never going to be discussed on an open forum.

However with MAnaged Payments soon to be, new accounts are going to be fun thats for sure![/QUOTE]
Old 06-27-2020

Quote:
How do i get access to these workarounds you mentioned below and where these are discussed ?I would like to become private member

QUOTE=Pathos;1096402]Theres far more workarounds for getting rid of that VAT flag,but its definitely never going to be discussed on an open forum.

However with MAnaged Payments soon to be, new accounts are going to be fun thats for sure!
[/QUOTE]

It will no doubt involved providing a made up VAT number and made up information. But then your account becomes a ticking time bomb until you are caught out.

Best thing to do is leave it dormant for a few months, wait until you are fully under the threshold get on to ebay on the phone and tell them to lift it as you have discussed with your accountant that you don't wish to become VAT registered. They should lift it.
Old 06-27-2020

[quote=james_112233;1102383]
Quote:

It will no doubt involved providing a made up VAT number and made up information. But then your account becomes a ticking time bomb until you are caught out.

Best thing to do is leave it dormant for a few months, wait until you are fully under the threshold get on to ebay on the phone and tell them to lift it as you have discussed with your accountant that you don't wish to become VAT registered. They should lift it.
Nothing like this at all. That wont work at all.
Old 06-27-2020

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Open the second account and split the turnover. The law says you should be registered for VAT but if they send it to you just begore april I would not apply
Old 06-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post

IMO their only route is to register, pay whats due and give the number/details to ebay. Then persuade HMRC they meet the criteria for de-registering and then hope they can persuade ebay to remove their VAT number for their account and listings and let them continue selling.
Nope, there are alternatives, but you can go down that method as a plausible option.

That option you will need to show why your VAT next year will be less for example, this year you could say the items you sell sold quicker because it was in demand during lockdown (masks for a example). You would then deregister for VAT and have proof to show eBay.
Old 06-27-2020

Quote:
By VAT I assume you mean turnover.

I've already told the poster above there is no 'this year' 'next year' arrangement with VAT, it a rolling assessment paid quarterly. You may account for it annually in your balance sheet but that not how it's managed.

Ebay wont back down so unless you're suggesting there's a working bent way of fooling them, which I doubt, there is no alternative.
Yes, turnover.

eBay definitely won't back down, thats true, and there is indeed a way hence how I got myself out of the shizzle last year.

You can register and then deregister for VAT which eBay seems to like (not my method), but it can take months to sort.
Old 06-28-2020

Longevity: 64%

Actually register for vat its not hard and you have to do it legally anyway if you have gone over the threshold

You get to back claim a lot of vat for items you have purchased in last 6 months and stock still held.
Then you can give a genuine vat number to eBay and everyone is happy.

After a quarter or two if you have lowered your sales you can deregister with hmrc. Dont have to tell ebay that, they stay happy.
Old 06-29-2020

How come? Do they continuously check the vat number?
Old 06-29-2020

I have several companies some of which are vat registered. No need to get so touchy.

I mean from ebays point of view, obviously don't start giving vat invoices to ur customers, altho I'm sure many sellers do that when asked for one!
Old 06-29-2020
Threadstarter  

Does somebody knows if I remove my VAT number on eBay will they ask me for de-registration documents or for the reason i remove it .I will only remove it when I am well below to the threshold
Old 06-29-2020

Quote:
Don't confuse 'getting touchy' with correcting your wholly incorrect suggestion.
There might be some poor sap on here who takes your advice, that would be stupid.
I'm more than happy to be corrected if you could please explain what I've got wrong
Old 06-30-2020

Quote:
At the risk of repeating myself... yes, you do have to tell ebay if you de-register.
Why? That's the whole point of this discussion. What happens if you don't? Do they regularly verify the vat number?
Old 07-01-2020

Quote:
You said you were VAT registered. If that is true you know fine well what the implications are.

Anyway, I repeat my advice. If you de-register you need to tell them. Your suggestion to ignore it is wholly incorrect and potentially very damaging.
You're really gonna have to elaborate on specifically what the implication is for failing to notify eBay that you are no longer vat registered.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not referring to giving buyers vat receipts or claiming any vat back from anybody including eBay.
Old 07-01-2020

Quote:
Well I'm not. Your initial advice to ignore telling ebay is wrong and I corrected you.
I merely want to ensure nobody follows your ridiculous advice.
Cos u can't. Talk about a time wasting troll