Item not as described, yet it clearly was - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-08-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Item not as described, yet it clearly was

I sold an old game on ebay recently, used condition with plenty photographs of the whole package, yet my buyer (international) is now claiming it's not as described because there wasn't a manual included. The buyer is now demanding a 50% refund through the ebay system.

Thing is, I didn't mention it having a manual. I said it has a box, and the game - but not manual. None of my photos, title, description or anything mentioned a manual.

How likely is eBay to side with me on this, or should I just accept the fact they probably won't and give the seller the part he is asking for?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-08-2013

Longevity: 65%
Default Re: Item not as described, yet it clearly was

Chances are slim eBay will side with you unless you specifically said 'manual not included' or 'only items in the photos are included'. Even then it's a toss-up.
Old 11-08-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

This has happened to me before. Depending on your return policy, tell him that a partial refund simply is not possible, but that you would be more than willing to offer a full refund if he returns the game since he is not satisfied. Kindly remind him that since the item isn't defective return shipping fees are on him.

They usually run for the hills if you stand your ground and mention return shipping, etc. It's probably a competing seller or someone looking to get something for nothing.
Old 11-09-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman21 View Post
This has happened to me before. Depending on your return policy, tell him that a partial refund simply is not possible, but that you would be more than willing to offer a full refund if he returns the game since he is not satisfied. Kindly remind him that since the item isn't defective return shipping fees are on him.

They usually run for the hills if you stand your ground and mention return shipping, etc. It's probably a competing seller or someone looking to get something for nothing.
My auction states "The box is included, as pictured.", but it otherwise fairly brief. I've also stated to "see the pictures for details".

In the meantime, I've given the explanation that the manual wasn't mentioned or pictured and I'm awaiting the buyer's response now. It's not been escalated at all, but the funds are still docked from my paypal.
Old 11-09-2013

Longevity: 64%

It's never about who is right or wrong on eb. It's about whatever the decision maker decides. I have won cases I shouldn't have and lost cases I should have won. That's why I hate having a case opened against me.
The Following User Says Thank You to joesshooze For This Useful Post:
zoneout (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013
Threadstarter  

Now the buyer is demanding I give him more money to leave me positive feedback...
Old 11-11-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaynor101 View Post
Now the buyer is demanding I give him more money to leave me positive feedback...
And? Sounds like you have a loser buyer....sorry to hear but stop playing his/her game - take the negative feedback and get more feedbacks going.

You aren`t going to win here with this buyer
Old 11-11-2013

Longevity: 66%

Report feedback abuse to eBay since he has emailed you with his demands for a refund otherwise he'll give you a neg. They MAY remove his neg.
Old 11-11-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Is it an expensive item? is 50% of the money worth the negative and low dsr scores?
Old 11-11-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Quote:
Actually, Now you have the buyer by the nads.

That's extortion.
Old 11-11-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmixers View Post
Actually, Now you have the buyer by the nads.

That's extortion.
I had the same thing. I reported it. Ebay did nothing. I reported it a few more times.... I ended up getting negative, 1's for dsr's and ebay refunded the guy.
Old 11-11-2013

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreaks View Post
I had the same thing. I reported it. Ebay did nothing. I reported it a few more times.... I ended up getting negative, 1's for dsr's and ebay refunded the guy.
It's extortion plain and simple and against eb written policy. But of course that means nothing exactly for the reason @joesshooz stated... It is NEVER about who is right or wrong, it is about whatever the roll of the dice is with the rep - they really couldn't care less and I doubt they even read the cases thru most of the time.

Here are your options :
1) is the manual available anywhere? If so refund the price of a manual so he can buy it
2) tell him you will take it back and eat the return shipping as eBay will award it anyway
3) take your chances and harp on the extortion with eBay as well the fact you didn't say manual included.
Old 11-11-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
It's extortion plain and simple and against eb written policy. But of course that means nothing exactly for the reason @joesshooz stated... It is NEVER about who is right or wrong, it is about whatever the roll of the dice is with the rep - they really couldn't care less and I doubt they even read the cases thru most of the time.

Here are your options :
1) is the manual available anywhere? If so refund the price of a manual so he can buy it
2) tell him you will take it back and eat the return shipping as eBay will award it anyway
3) take your chances and harp on the extortion with eBay as well the fact you didn't say manual included.
Depending on the price of the item...
If its a cheap item and 50% isn't going to kill you, take the hit. How are your current dsr's? if they are excellent, why risk it over this one a-hole. Eat the 50% and walk away unscathed.

If it is an expensive item, do like zoneout said.... see if you can find another manual. Get him to buy it and refund that amount to him. Make sure HE is the one to buy it though. You want no further dealings with this person.

No matter how right you are, ebay will side with them 90% of the time. :(
Old 11-11-2013

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
I'm not sure if there is a craigslist in the UK, but here in the USA, when I get a professional buyer, I have a dirty trick that I use, and have only done it to one buyer, but he 100% deserved it, and I enjoyed every minute of it, and it was worth the 2 hours of time it took me to make his life hell.

I will post classified ads with their personal info all over craigslist.

Car for sale- 50% below bluebook value. Call me, or come see the car at this address.

Iphone for sale - brand new never used, $200. Call me, but I work graveyard and sleep during the day, so make sure you call me after 10pm.

Personal ads - You wouldn't even want to know about this, but this is the scary part. There are some sick people on the internet, and they will send some of the most disgusting pic's to whatever phone number is on the ad.

There's also mailing lists you can put them on. Put there name and info on a online site for loans etc. . .

It's not that hard to make their life very unpleasant, to the point where they need to get a new phone number and new email.

I'm not even just talkikng about prankster stuff either. I even have a couple that I won't post here, but they could cause real problems for their home address, and maybe even invite criminals to pay them a visit. Get creative, it really depends on how bad the buyer screwed you. The person in my case, physically threatened me, and actually gave me these ideas. They messaged me and told me all the things they would do, so I took it a step further. My identity is blocked, they think they have my address, name, email and phone number, but they are disposable to me, I am hidden. The buyer on the other hand is not.

To me, a couple hundred bucks isn't worth the inconvenience I could cause someone who really wants to start trouble with me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to corleone For This Useful Post:
jh10 (11-14-2013), rsot (11-13-2013), wendychen2000us (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013
Threadstarter  

No, it's not an expensive item - the 50% refund requested was $16.

However, the problem seems to have been solved. I reported the buyer to eBay after he sent me that message, and eBay has just got back to me saying thanks (but an otherwise vague, uninformative email). The case has been closed in my favour, without me having to pay anything.
Old 11-12-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Somehow I can not see my buyer's phone number. Is this required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corleone View Post
I'm not sure if there is a craigslist in the UK, but here in the USA, when I get a professional buyer, I have a dirty trick that I use, and have only done it to one buyer, but he 100% deserved it, and I enjoyed every minute of it, and it was worth the 2 hours of time it took me to make his life hell.

I will post classified ads with their personal info all over craigslist.

Car for sale- 50% below bluebook value. Call me, or come see the car at this address.

Iphone for sale - brand new never used, $200. Call me, but I work graveyard and sleep during the day, so make sure you call me after 10pm.

Personal ads - You wouldn't even want to know about this, but this is the scary part. There are some sick people on the internet, and they will send some of the most disgusting pic's to whatever phone number is on the ad.

There's also mailing lists you can put them on. Put there name and info on a online site for loans etc. . .

It's not that hard to make their life very unpleasant, to the point where they need to get a new phone number and new email.

I'm not even just talkikng about prankster stuff either. I even have a couple that I won't post here, but they could cause real problems for their home address, and maybe even invite criminals to pay them a visit. Get creative, it really depends on how bad the buyer screwed you. The person in my case, physically threatened me, and actually gave me these ideas. They messaged me and told me all the things they would do, so I took it a step further. My identity is blocked, they think they have my address, name, email and phone number, but they are disposable to me, I am hidden. The buyer on the other hand is not.

To me, a couple hundred bucks isn't worth the inconvenience I could cause someone who really wants to start trouble with me.
Old 11-12-2013

You can do a ebay user info request to get it.
Old 11-12-2013

Longevity: 64%

eeeewwww not nice at all.
Old 11-12-2013

He deserved it. Even my wife was telling me "you need to do something about that A Hole".

I have dealt with tens of thousands of buyers in my time with ebay, and only 1 person who crossed the line. I've dealt with hundreds of jerks, it's to be expected, but certain people need to be dealt with.

I don't take it that seriously, but I do get a little bit of amusement knowing that they received a few hundred text messages of men's private parts, people showing up to their house to see the car for sale, phone calls late at night to buy a clean brand new iphone 5, as well as a few other pretty funny ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to corleone For This Useful Post:
Abreaks (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by corleone View Post
He deserved it. Even my wife was telling me "you need to do something about that A Hole".

I have dealt with tens of thousands of buyers in my time with ebay, and only 1 person who crossed the line. I've dealt with hundreds of jerks, it's to be expected, but certain people need to be dealt with.

I don't take it that seriously, but I do get a little bit of amusement knowing that they received a few hundred text messages of men's private parts, people showing up to their house to see the car for sale, phone calls late at night to buy a clean brand new iphone 5, as well as a few other pretty funny ones.

Yup. Some people really do deserve it!
and not just ebay assholes either... real life ones too.
Old 11-12-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
No, it's not an expensive item - the 50% refund requested was $16.

However, the problem seems to have been solved. I reported the buyer to eBay after he sent me that message, and eBay has just got back to me saying thanks (but an otherwise vague, uninformative email). The case has been closed in my favour, without me having to pay anything.
Congrats! its not everyday I hear of news like this lol... seriously.
Old 11-13-2013

Longevity: 66%

There's another method to get back at them ...