Earning a living? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-08-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 52%
Default Earning a living?

Is it possible to earn a living with ebay & Paypal? I'm trying to find a way to work from home because my father is dying & I'm the only child & the primary caregiver. So until he dies my house is also my prison. So I'm trying to figure out a way to earn money online but everything seems like a lie.

After the ebay & Paypal fees I don't see how you can make any profit. I just need around $1600.00 a month or $300-$400 a week to live comfortably but nothing I've tried has worked. I'm getting really tired, run down & worn out from trying to sift through all the BS. I need to find something that actually works. I'm running out of time. As soon as he dies I'm instantly homeless with $0 income. And I can't get a job around here because of the large employment gap. NOBODY will give me an interview, not even McDonald's.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-08-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: Earning a living?

U just need to find something to sell than find a supplier and than sell it on eBay or Amazon

There's no overnight fix, it takes a lot of time, a lot of trial and error, and you need to constantly be changing to keep up with the competition

No one will hand you a living, if your speaking about some magic online business where you pay $500 to start up, the only one that makes money is the person you give the $500 to
Old 03-08-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

No, I'm talking about something that you can work at & actually see results. I've been selling on ebay since the mid 90's, I have lots of experience. I used to sell toys, mostly Transformers. There's no money in that & I ran out of stuff to sell.

So now I'm trying to figure out if there are any products out there that sell well & actually earn a profit. When you say "find something to sell" that's not helpful in the slightest. Obviously I need something to sell, that's all you do on ebay. Saying I need something to sell is like saying I need an internet connection to access a website. NO DUH! The thing I need help with is "SELL WHAT"? What actually works? Selling toys & action figures makes no money unless you get lucky & find a variant or an item is limited. I need something more steady & reliable. Something that makes putting up with ebay & Paypal's crap totally worth it.

So that's my question. Is there something out there that is worth the hassle & will allow you to eke out a meager existence? Toys are no good. I always read electronics are a problem because of scammers. Handbags & clothing also seem to be a problem area.

I'm not going to put up with ebay's BS unless it's totally worth it. My income has to be on a higher level than all of ebay's BS. During the years I've been selling on ebay I mostly felt like it wasn't worth the trouble. I had a couple really awesome sales that blew my mind. One time I was trying to get $60 for an item & it ended at $464. I know that's totally rare but that really made it feel like it was worth my trouble. But most of the time after ebay & Paypal take their cut it just isn't worth the trouble.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it feel worthwhile. I want to feel like I'm accomplishing something. I want the peace of mind knowing that I'll have the rent money when it's due every month. But if it's going to be a constant uphill battle then I need to look elsewhere. I'm too old for that crap! I don't need to be banging my head against a brick wall constantly, I just want to be able to scratch by & pay my bills.
Old 03-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I know I can, but I have no idea if you can.

Some people retire at a very early age selling on ebay...

It really comes down to your skill, mindset, dedication, ability to hire, source goods, raise capital, manage risk and stress, etc..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (04-07-2015), BigCJ (03-08-2015), bornlazy (03-20-2015), Klemantina (03-09-2015), rsot (03-09-2015), secret storm (03-09-2015), Whitestone (03-16-2015)
Old 03-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

I started with a £68 investment and now 6 months later I turn over around £5k a month and 50% of it is profit, if not more.
If I can do it, so can you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haidukken For This Useful Post:
akademikjeanius (03-17-2015), colt63 (03-08-2015), infinitelyannoyed (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
ability to hire

Hire? You have to hire people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I know I can, but I have no idea if you can.

Some people retire at a very early age selling on ebay...

It really comes down to your skill, mindset, dedication, ability to hire, source goods, raise capital, manage risk and stress, etc..

What kind of background or training do you have? I would say my skill level is very low. How can I raise my skill level? I know how to sell on ebay but that's about it. No skill or experience hiring people or sourcing goods. That's all stuff I need to learn. And I need to learn pretty fast, I'm running out of time. I don't want anything overnight but I need to be learning & moving in the right direction instead of just sitting here rotting.

Last edited by N7 Shadow; 03-08-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

Firstly I am so sorry for what you are going through with your father, I can only imagine that must be a struggle alone without the stress of ebay x

There are a lot of popular categories on eBay, I do agree about what you say about the toy category, I mean in the uk you cannot even walk down a street without tripping over a child, but yet eBay isn't so hot with sales on this unless you selling Lego or Frozen items ...

Have you looked at your competitors to try see what other categories they are selling?
We also have a wholesale talk section on the forum for places that will have ideas for you.
Old 03-08-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
Firstly I am so sorry for what you are going through with your father, I can only imagine that must be a struggle alone without the stress of ebay x
I'm pretty much in the place where most normal people would commit suicide. A couple words that come to mind are destitute & despair.

I'm trying to fight through it. I'm going to get training as a CNA because that's what I'm doing here anyway, might as well get paid for it. The problem is I don't know exactly when my father will die, could be tonight, could be 5 or 10 years from now. After he dies I'll have total freedom, I planned it that way, no girlfriend or wife, no kids, no brothers or sisters & no family. Just me alone to live my life the way I want to. I have plans for after he dies but I'm trying to get some money for myself right now. I'm using his SSI check to pay all the bills but that leaves me with nothing for myself. Since I know how to sell on ebay I'm trying to figure out how to crank up the volume. I was doing it for fun before but now I need to crank things up to the professional level.

I've been reading the past few years that ebay sales are down for most people. And ebay blocks your listings so not all people can see them. This is the BS that I'm worried about. If ebay is going to limit the people that can actually see your listings then I want no part of that nonsense. I'm not interested in playing stupid baby head games, that's why I don't have a girlfriend anymore. I can't tolerate BS!

Last edited by N7 Shadow; 03-08-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Ill say this: As much as ebay jerks me around, with the help of this forum and ebay, I Sorry for your father being ill :(

was able to keep my home and help support my family.

Granted, I still have ways to go, but ebay essentially, saved my life and for the first time in YEARS, I can get the things I want AND have the things I need.

It is my livelihood, and its also hard work and dedication.
All the issues you are having can be usurped by learning and having many accounts.
Never put all of your eggs in one basket.
Old 03-08-2015

Longevity: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7 Shadow View Post
Is it possible to earn a living with ebay & Paypal? I'm trying to find a way to work from home because my father is dying & I'm the only child & the primary caregiver. So until he dies my house is also my prison. So I'm trying to figure out a way to earn money online but everything seems like a lie.

After the ebay & Paypal fees I don't see how you can make any profit. I just need around $1600.00 a month or $300-$400 a week to live comfortably but nothing I've tried has worked. I'm getting really tired, run down & worn out from trying to sift through all the BS. I need to find something that actually works. I'm running out of time. As soon as he dies I'm instantly homeless with $0 income. And I can't get a job around here because of the large employment gap. NOBODY will give me an interview, not even McDonald's.
Yes.

It all depends on what you are selling,

and how much you can get it for.

basic concept buy low and sell high....

eBay requires a lot of money.....stealth accounts.....connections......also you have to factor in competitors scamming you on eBay and trying to tear your business down.....it all costs money and time.....

I easily net in 3k a month from just local sales....and other varying websites I sell....eBay is not my primary sales channel I sell on many different platforms...
Old 03-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Sorry to hear about your father. It is always difficult when a parent is terminally ill.

As to eBay/Amazon, YES, you CAN earn a living. But it is not a process that provides instant results unless you are very lucky. I sell mostly books. I make a good amount of money, but it took me about a year before it produced a full time income. I also have added other things, but it takes a lot of research. You have to find a niche - one that has a decent amount of sales and limited competition. I probably spend 8-10 hours researching items to fine ONE good (non-book) product to sell and the profits are usually $100 - $200 per month for each product, although they CAN be higher or lower. And a profitable niche can disappear, because I am not the only one looking for niches - others are too. Many of the products I sold 2 or 3 years ago are no longer profitable to sell.

eBay and Amazon are the most competitive marketplaces in the world. It is hard work making money. Not hard work like a construction job, but it is still not easy. If you are thinking that you can buy a wholesaler list and make a million in the first month, you will be sadly disappointed. First you have to find a good niche, then you have to find a supplier that has prices low enough for you to make a decent profit. Then you have to fend off the competition for as long as you can. I am an adult living in the US with a family to support. But I have to compete with college kids, looking for money for their next beer party. And sellers from China, where they make EVERYTHING and the Chinese government subsidizes their shipping costs. They can mail an HDMI cable from China to the USA cheaper than I can send one from Chicago to Orlando. Then there are the part-timers, who are satisfied if they can make an extra $200 a month. When these guys find one of my niches, the prices quickly drop to the point where it is no longer profitable for me to sell.

It is tough to start on eBay and expect it to produce enough income to replace a full-time job right away. For that you would need to work 16 hours a day, or have a hot new product that others do not have easy access to.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aclarkdba (04-07-2015), akademikjeanius (03-17-2015), epimetheus039 (03-08-2015), Frigid (03-11-2015), keepongoing (03-17-2015), Kristy (03-08-2015), rsot (03-09-2015), Underhand (03-12-2015), yankee (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Sorry to hear about your father. It is always difficult when a parent is terminally ill.

As to eBay/Amazon, YES, you CAN earn a living. But it is not a process that provides instant results unless you are very lucky. I sell mostly books. I make a good amount of money, but it took me about a year before it produced a full time income. I also have added other things, but it takes a lot of research. You have to find a niche - one that has a decent amount of sales and limited competition. I probably spend 8-10 hours researching items to fine ONE good (non-book) product to sell and the profits are usually $100 - $200 per month for each product, although they CAN be higher or lower. And a profitable niche can disappear, because I am not the only one looking for niches - others are too. Many of the products I sold 2 or 3 years ago are no longer profitable to sell.

eBay and Amazon are the most competitive marketplaces in the world. It is hard work making money. Not hard work like a construction job, but it is still not easy. If you are thinking that you can buy a wholesaler list and make a million in the first month, you will be sadly disappointed. First you have to find a good niche, then you have to find a supplier that has prices low enough for you to make a decent profit. Then you have to fend off the competition for as long as you can. I am an adult living in the US with a family to support. But I have to compete with college kids, looking for money for their next beer party. And sellers from China, where they make EVERYTHING and the Chinese government subsidizes their shipping costs. They can mail an HDMI cable from China to the USA cheaper than I can send one from Chicago to Orlando. Then there are the part-timers, who are satisfied if they can make an extra $200 a month. When these guys find one of my niches, the prices quickly drop to the point where it is no longer profitable for me to sell.

It is tough to start on eBay and expect it to produce enough income to replace a full-time job right away. For that you would need to work 16 hours a day, or have a hot new product that others do not have easy access to.
This post is gospel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristy For This Useful Post:
Cobra commander (03-30-2015), trosky (03-16-2015)
Old 03-08-2015

Honestly, my suggestion would be to start dropshipping even though in the long run it would be more easier to obtain certain products rather than shifting 1000s for low margins. Anyway, check this topic out http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackha...-detailed.html as I didnt bother looking for one on aspkin forums. It requires basically no startup and you dont need to wait weeks/months before finding your niche, supplier, ordering shipping supplies and etc, etc. So, you can start earning something right away or at least faster. After that I would recommend switching to the strategy jeffweico suggested or adding it along until you eventually hit the comfort level of your earnings.

And yes, there are no shortcuts for your success. I myself spend many and many hours but it pays off more than you can imagine. I honestly dont even think about this as a job, this is the lifestyle being creative and doing something that I can teach myself to do.

Last edited by epimetheus039; 03-08-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

check this link out bro

hope you find something to sell asap. YOU CANT QUIT. it took me 3 months to find a niche.
but after I found it I never needed a job again.

may I ask what did you ell for 454$ ?? maybe you can sell that ?
Old 03-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

bags of Kanye west AIR is going for 60,000

FIND A NICHE!
Old 03-09-2015

Longevity: 53%

Sorry to hear about what your going through mate.
Keep on going mate , things will get better .

Silenthill quick question about the vid . Would you be drop shipping the chair or would you buy then ship out yourself ? Also what woul happen with returns ?

Wrighty
Old 03-09-2015
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Sorry to hear about your situation, it must be tough. Just know that things will get better.

Dont think about ebay sales being down and visability issues, just concentrate on finding profitable items.

If you pm me I might be able to give you a bit of help.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Underhand (03-12-2015)
Old 03-09-2015

Longevity: 62%

Glad to see there's a reach out and soft side to this forum. I'm shocked but glad for all the members reaching out and encouraging and not discouraging.
Underhand (03-12-2015)
Old 03-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
bags of Kanye west AIR is going for 60,000

FIND A NICHE!
What does this mean?
Old 03-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Glad to see there's a reach out and soft side to this forum. I'm shocked but glad for all the members reaching out and encouraging and not discouraging.
Who discourages? This forum is all about moving forward and making money.
: cheer:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
muzzie (03-21-2015), Underhand (03-12-2015)
Old 03-09-2015

Longevity: 54%

N7 Shadow...take a couple minutes and step back and take a deep breath. Your posts are so frantic and all over the place. So many things leading back to you telling yourself "I cant do that." Youre never going to make it by telling yourself you cant do it. Youll never own anything by telling yourself you cant own it. All I see in your posts is a bunch of bull spit. Youll never advance with that attitude. Sorry to put it that way, but someone needs to give you a dose of the truth.

Take a step back, tell yourself you CAN do it, breathe....then post. You may be dealing with a lot in life...but we all are. Nobody can help you but yourself. That starts with a positive outlook on things. And quite frankly, YES there is a market in toys...I have turned a hefty profit on them. There are so many things that are profitable, its crazy to think someone is actually saying "theres no money there."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wtfebay For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-16-2015), yankee (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015

Longevity: 71%

I'll help a little more than what has been stated . I'll send you a pm . I wouldn't want to expose all my secrets :-)