Declining sales % every year - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-01-2015
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,535 Times in 2,189 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%
Default Declining sales % every year

I have been making a record of sales every year for the past 5 years and

I find that July up to september are usually the slower months and sales start to pick back up in October and goes on full force Early November upto Christmas.

But it seems that the sales % has been dwindling steadily for those months every year.

So I wonder if this is due to eBay or if consumers are making a different trend / timing in their purchases every year.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-01-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default Re: Declining sales % every year

I try make all my purchases by mid-November and try to purchase nothing in December.
Old 11-01-2015

Longevity: 59%

for me after christams there is always big drain of my sales.
As for this year- Sales between 10.10 and 0.11 are 40% less than usual.
Old 11-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

It may be your market, your pricing, more competitors diluting sales etc...

I have items and categories like this and I have areas and catagories that grow each year it seems.
Old 11-01-2015

Longevity: 59%

True.
There are catagories that get raised by sells before Holaween (Clothes, Customs, Make up).
There are catagories that get raised before Christmas. (Most items that are present possible).
And offcourse diffrent clothes that can sell more in diffrent season.
Old 11-01-2015
Super Moderator
Threadstarter  

I'm more in the entertainment and electronics section. (bad summer sales)

So it's more about eBay or more about consumer buying trend?
Old 11-01-2015
Banned

Longevity: 64%

NOONE KNOWS! so many variables at play when it comes to these things. even during the "recession" here some people were still maken money and lots of it. so it all depends really like what exactly your selling and your pricing etc.... usually people love to blame the economy when biz goes down but its rarely ever the sole case.
Old 11-01-2015
Super Moderator
Threadstarter  

My pricing is definitely NOT cheapest, I'm more about above middle ground but not most expensive.
Old 11-01-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
My pricing is definitely NOT cheapest, I'm more about above middle ground but not most expensive.
do you sell in japan?
Old 11-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I don't think it is eBay, it is just the market trend, more than likely. For example, DVD sales decline by about 14% each year. Some things are declining while others are increasing.

Big screen TV's have proven to last a long time. So, TV sales are down because people are not replacing them as frequently as they used to. Movies are moving toward streaming and in fact, the DVD will probably be extinct in a few years and so will Blu-Rays.

Of course "entertainment" is a pretty broad category and there are things that are doing well, I'm sure. This is not really my area of expertise. You just have to find out "whats hot and whats not" and adjust accordingly. There will always be tons of stuff we can sell on eBay.

When I came back to eBay after a long absence, I started with DVD's and I did very well. I told my business partner that I did not view our company as a DVD sales company, but as a sales company that just happened to be selling DVD's at this particular moment in time. If you have a good system down, you can sell just about anything. But if you are in love with what you are selling, then you are going to have a problem.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aspkin (11-02-2015), dealagreeproceed (11-02-2015), Here We Go Again (11-13-2015), isitworththestress (11-05-2015), SaiJin (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015

Activity: 27%
Longevity: 70%

Sales for me have been really bad, but also I think its because Im low in stock now and currently not saturating the Market. Im even Top rated but doesn't seem to make any difference in sales...
Old 11-02-2015

Longevity: 78%

Considering ebay is bringing on more Chinese sellers, and pushing sales away from the rest of us, I don't know why everyone is saying it's NOT ebay. Of course it's ebay. They are bringing on more ****ty sellers, and spending less to make the site better, or to bring in buyers. Where have you guys been? Have you seen an ebay commercial in the past few years?
Old 11-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Well James, some of us are doing better than ever on ebay competing with the Chinese. It really all depends on what you are selling, how you are buying, etc..

Every market is unique. Even every item is unique and we all do not pay the same price for an item.
Old 11-02-2015

yeah, again, it's not just competing with the Chinese, but the fact that ebay is PUSHING them. My market is unique enough, but there are countless parts on ebay that are chinese knockoffs of my parts, and people are stupid and can't tell the difference. And when they can tell the difference, they have to sift through 100 things just to get to mine. So I'm sorry that unlike you, I don't appreciate cheap Chinese crap inundating the market. It forces people to not even bother to search on ebay, when only a few out of 100 results, are not aftermarket parts.
Old 11-03-2015

Longevity: 76%

If live in places where fastest internet 6 mps DSL (more like 1 when got 5 people using) you see why steaming is dumb. I prefer DVDs & Blurays as streaming awful here. In big cities might be dead but in rural America be around for long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjohnson777 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
yeah, again, it's not just competing with the Chinese, but the fact that ebay is PUSHING them. My market is unique enough, but there are countless parts on ebay that are chinese knockoffs of my parts, and people are stupid and can't tell the difference. And when they can tell the difference, they have to sift through 100 things just to get to mine. So I'm sorry that unlike you, I don't appreciate cheap Chinese crap inundating the market. It forces people to not even bother to search on ebay, when only a few out of 100 results, are not aftermarket parts.
Got news for ya: The Chinese have been selling on eBay for a lot longer than you. And the people that care about PRICE above all else always knew where to find them. People that care about QUALITY and SERVICE and TIME will always buy from US sellers.

Quit complaining and raise your service, quality, and shipping speeds. If you are selling junk that is easily replicated, you need to get out of that market and find a new product. It's that simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015

My monthly sales for the past 4 years have been around $4k per month which is all I want to work. Starting this past July are off over 80%. I usually have anywhere from 20-100 views this time of year and lucky to get 15. This is seriously bad!
Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
Got news for ya: The Chinese have been selling on eBay for a lot longer than you. And the people that care about PRICE above all else always knew where to find them. People that care about QUALITY and SERVICE and TIME will always buy from US sellers.

Quit complaining and raise your service, quality, and shipping speeds. If you are selling junk that is easily replicated, you need to get out of that market and find a new product. It's that simple.
Seriously? I got news for you, EVERYTHING is easily replicated. I sell high end parts for high end products. My service is great, my quality is better than all, and I have great shipping speed. I'm in the right market. It's that simple.

And I've been on ebay long before the chinese sellers, thank you. I've been on it since it was a mom and pop yard sale, for an intents and purposes. People that care about quality and service and time, are going places that aren't ebay. They are going direct to websites that have the parts I have, but only a little bit more expensive. And it doesn't have to be sellers from China, because even American sellers are selling this crap, and ebay, doesn't seem to want to make it any easier for a buyer to search for OEM only parts, vs aftermarket, which are usually counterfeits and should never be on ebay to begin with. If it has a logo, it's counterfeit. And a lot of them sell for high prices, so people think they are getting good parts, and it's really hard to tell the parts are ⊗⊗⊗⊗, even for me, with as much experience as I have.

I buy on ebay, and even I hate doing it. I have followed searches, and I have to sift through 100 items to find that 1 part thats actually good. And I remember when I didn't have to do that. So get the hell out of here with your bullsheet. All this happening, is NEW. It wasn't like this when I started, no matter how much you want to talk about it always being this way. Ebay is going to ****. Ebay doesn't care. Bringing on Chinese sellers will be their downfall.
Old 11-03-2015
Super Moderator
Threadstarter  

What is it with you 2? Very often I see your posts and you both fight.
STOP IT! Or I'll delete all your posts.

I want your insights and opinion so stay mature in your deliveries!

Anyways, I've been wondering myself and after reading all your posts, I notice that I don't even shop on eBay unless it's something very very trivial and cheap.
I go to Amazon even if it cost me a tiny bit more.

So as a BUYER, I feel that Amazon is much easier and more professional when buying things. The checking out is also a lot easier and faster.

I think it was Jeffweico that once said something along the lines: eBay = Walmart
Amazon = Your local 10 storey mall

So perhaps this is the reason why some products are better off in or out of eBay.?

At this point I'm REALLY hoping that come mid November (thanks giving) sales will really pick up like how it's been every year.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
newjerseymax (11-05-2015)
Old 11-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
So as a BUYER, I feel that Amazon is much easier and more professional when buying things. The checking out is also a lot easier and faster.

I think it was Jeffweico that once said something along the lines: eBay = Walmart
Amazon = Your local 10 storey mall
Yes. I've said it over and over. Amazon is for quality, eBay is for price.

People KNOW they will get good customer service on Amazon---or else.

So if your items are in Amazons catalog, sell there.

As for James, it doesn't sound like the Chinese are your issue, it's more of the fact that people are using search and browse manipulation by spamming product keywords, thus your products are buried in search results because your competition is lying about the product. Really not much to do other than get better best match results, which goes back to my earlier advice.

If you have more sales than they do, you will have higher placement. Figure out how to get more sales (whatever the cost) and your problem will be solved. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for you, Saijin, you're riding a very high horse. James bickered with me in one other thread, it's far from a pattern, but delete whatever you please. I really couldn't care less.
Old 11-03-2015

Longevity: 53%

I find that my sales are always slow leading up to Black Friday. And last year it was slower than expected leading up to Xmas. Which is fine by me as I find the consumer is a LOT more demanding with shipping and expectations ect.
Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post

As for James, it doesn't sound like the Chinese are your issue, it's more of the fact that people are using search and browse manipulation by spamming product keywords, thus your products are buried in search results because your competition is lying about the product. Really not much to do other than get better best match results, which goes back to my earlier advice.
That goes back to my point, that ebay brought these sellers on and push these sellers, and don't give a crap that they are spamming and manipulating product keywords. And there are SOOO many of them, that no one has the time to sift through them all and clean them up, and buyers don't feel like sifting through them all to find the one gem.

I make a good profit, even buying off ebay and selling, so I do bother. But IT'S A PITA!! There is nothing left for me to do to get better best match results. I have great titles. I have an amazing ebay account. I'm doing everything to get up there. And my sales ARE good, but I'd like them to be better.

But my main gripe, is as a BUYER