Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects? - New proposed EBAY policy - Page 9 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 06-07-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%

I use AOL dial-up. And the other day I made another Windows User and then logged into AOL and it took 10 times longer than through my normaly windows user account. :( I have no clue as to why.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-08-2008

Longevity: 92%

I am using earthlink now & it is definitely faster than AOL was ...$14.95/mo
Old 06-11-2008

Longevity: 91%

i live with my boyfriend he's got an ebay account and i have 2 well he got suspended and they then suspended me cos we use the same computer?? and even though i sent in proof of our id's they have suspended us both for 1 year!!
Old 06-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
I think I just figured out the flash cookies and when/why they are placed by eBay.

The account I got it on, I logged in with a different dial-up account (different provider, different IP range) than I usually use for this account. And *POOF* that's when the flash cookie magically appeared. On all the other accounts, where I always logged in, and still login, with the same IP range (same provider) I have since the account was created, I never received a flash cookies.

I'm thinking eBay first checks for the IP range. If that is different, it checks your flash cookies and places one on your computer to identify you for the future, in case you use a different IP range again.
I just worked out EXACTLY when the flash cookie is placed. I created a new windows account and changed the hostname and new IP but still keeping the same IP range as my legitimate account. I then went on to eBay.com.ph as this is where I am and created an account checking the whole time 'object' to see if/when a flash cookie would be placed.

Oh before I continue I installed skype on that new windows account and low and behold skype had placed a flash cookie straight onto that account so I immediately removed that and didnt even bother to sign into skype with my skype account.

OK pressing on, Once I had registered the eBay account, still no flash cookie had been installed. Now I went to the Sell part and selected to 'sell to UK' and the instant that I had clicked that link the flash cookie appeared!

So it seems that the first time to click on 'sell' that will be the moment that the flash cookie is placed. I also created a paypal account, linked it to my paypal account but no flash cookie as yet has been placed.

Hope this info is of some help.
Old 06-15-2008

Longevity: 93%

As far as dial-up and listing.....Simply use Auctiva to list....Use high speed all you want. You should never have to go into your Ebay account to list an item....
Old 06-15-2008

Hi All, I got this email from Ebay in the Messages section of My Ebay for two different accounts I have a few others and so far nothing like this. I do not think it is anything to worry about just a heads up....

Help keep your eBay account secure

Dear XXXXXXXX:

We would like to tell you about a new security initiative that will help keep your account secure. Later this summer, eBay will begin checking to ensure you are signing in from a computer you have successfully used previously. If you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – we will ask you to confirm your identity.

Confirming your identity is simple. When prompted, you can choose an automated call to one of the numbers you have registered with us. If this is not possible, we will provide alternative methods, such as confirmation through Live Chat, or an automated call to a new number. These alternate methods will require you to provide additional information, such as the correct answer to your secret question.

Please take a minute toupdate your contact information.

To help identity confirmation work quickly for you, we recommend that you have a current phone number and a secret question and answer on file with eBay. If you have a mobile phone, we strongly encourage you to add this to your registration details as a secondary phone number, so that you can confirm your identity while away from your home or business.

Note: You can use the PayPal Security Key to confirm your identity as an alternative to receiving an automated phone call. Order and activate the PayPal Security Key now.

Sincerely,
eBay Trust and Safety Department
Old 06-18-2008

Something I just noticed. When I log into my one account through AOL Broadband it places a flash cookie on my computer. But when I login to one of my other accounts through AOL dial-up it doesn't place a flash cookie yet.
Old 06-20-2008

Default The Flash cookie based phone verficiation system - this is what happens

Some people have been getting flustered about not being in, having the phone number, etc, when they are using a new PC or have cleared their flash cookies.

Well, it's actually much more relaxed than it seems.

When the flash cookie is cleared, so ebay doesn't recognise your computer, you can login fine, and the do the general things in my eBay. But when you go to list, this is when the verification comes in.

One thing that's important, is the phone call is not random. As with the phone verification to setup the account, you can specify when to receive the call.

What's more, you can specify the phone number on your account that you want to use, to verify your account. So if you've added a mobile/cell as a secondary number (as they reccommend), you can select them to ring you on this.

However, it doesn't end their. It ALSO gives you the option to add another phone number, and verify your call on that number. All this requires, is to answer the security questions on your account, and then you can add the new number and veryify this.

What's more, is the call is AUTOMATED. As with the account creation phone call.

But, it's a little odd to me. Because, eBay are supposedly doing this to up the security measures on accounts. But looking at this process, the only thing the call pivots on, is knowing the secuirty question. Any random person could hack into, or buy your account, answer the secuirty question (if they knew it), and a mobile, and verify they account. So, why not just ask for the security question instead? Surely the phone call is just extra hastle?

And also, you can still change the security questions in My Ebay without having to give the answers to the old secuirty questions. So surely, someone could hack the account, change the security question, go to list an item, answer the security question, and then answer the call? Thus defeating the whole point in this exercise?

I don't know, but this sytem does seem a little flawed if you ask me.

But thought I would just share some of the ins and outs of the system.
Old 06-21-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Good stuff mantisinc, thanks.
Old 06-21-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

I read somewhere they will also allow verification over Live Chat if you don't have access to a telephone at all.
Old 06-22-2008

hey i was just wondering.. is it possible to copy flash cookies and place it on other computer in same file directory ? will it work? any insights? i m planning to test it soon just to see if ebay will replace that cookie and place a new one or just use the same.. if someone is here having knowledge of flash building that would be very beneficial..
Old 06-23-2008

Longevity: 98%

powerbid, I am not sure how flash cookies are organized as Microsoft include data files that may or may not be able to relocate the cookies, but it works for cookies if they are organized in Netscape/Mozilla style text file databases.
Old 06-23-2008

i m waiting to receive my laptop tommorow once i test it ill post some details..
Old 06-23-2008

Longevity: 95%

HI:
has anyone seen this...
While searching for Community members (actually checking that one of my accts wasnt axed)-- they generate a token now??
Used to be able to check anonymously??

search.ebay.com/ws/search/AdvSearch?ec=4&generatetoken=true&sofindtype=25&us erid=th]eBay Search: Find a Member[/url]
Old 06-23-2008

what u mean generate a token ?

Last edited by GreenBean; 06-23-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2008

no wonder the fees increase. ebay pays a team of monkeys for months to come up with brainless security tricks.

i just installed my firefox to a usb thumbdrive and instead of creating accounts and blah blah i just plug my thumbdrive in and installed firefox onto it and remove it when needed or plug it into one of my many computers i use at home. seems to be ok. but i hate clearing cookies so much.
Old 07-14-2008

Default Ebay Checking The Comp You Use?

Hey, just recently managed to open up an account again on Ebay after been suspended.
Sold my first item on Saturday and then went on to schedule another one for Tuesday.
Clicked on 'My Ebay' and had a message pop up inbetween pages, it read:

"We'll soon start checking the computer you use whenever you list on Ebay. If you're not using your normal computer, we'll ask you to take a quick call at the number of your account to make sure that its you"

Now i thought i've done my verifying so what am i to expect? Will they ring randomly or when i ask them too (like when first opening a sellers account)
Old 07-14-2008

for example if you were to list an item on a computer at the library, they will ring you to check if it was you listing
Old 07-14-2008

Ah right, it does say "please check your contact information now" so that is just what i says? check my contact number (my girlfriends)

Will they ring randomly? Because if its a human on Ebay's end asking my girlfriend whats for sale, i'll have to tell her everytime im selling and what it is - right?
Old 07-14-2008

Default New Tracking Method

does anyone know how do they track our computers ?

wich is the new method ?
Old 07-14-2008

as far as i know, cookies, ip, flash objects, address, tel number, name, pictures
Old 07-15-2008

I currently have firefox set to delete all cookies each time a window is closed. Now im set up with a new account, and im only going to use the one laptop.
Is it ok for me to put it back to normal?
Its just because i've had the message pop up again about ringing me when i list items etc..