Etsy. Notice of legal process seeking information??? Help - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 09-30-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 35%
Default Etsy. Notice of legal process seeking information??? Help

Hi. So I just received an email: we received the attached legal process seeking information,records,or other action regarding your account.in accordance with this notification,we have suspended your account privileges.we cannot provide you with legal advice.if you have questions about the legal process,you should consult an attorney.if you wish to object to the legal process,you or you attorney should contact the attorney who issued the subpoena or the issuing court. This is issued by attorney for plaintiff which are in Illinois. ( account is registered in Scotland)I was selling patches with mostly small ISH band logos these are not official been selling for about 8 months. Taken about 6 grand through. The account and attached bank account are in my sister name. Address registered is old address. Email address attached is not attached is stealth. Any advice on what might happen?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-01-2021
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Etsy. Notice of legal process seeking information??? Help

Any input anyone?
Old 10-01-2021

Activity: 24%
Longevity: 42%

Advice is don't seek legal advice in the forum. Noone knows anything and any input is a high chance to be misleading
Old 10-01-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duab View Post
Advice is don't seek legal advice in the forum. Noone knows anything and any input is a high chance to be misleading
Hey wasn't looking for legal advice but more the steps that may be taken. IV concluded that the request was sent to Etsy and they may or may not hand over information and records to these people. These people would then decide whether to take further action.
Old 10-01-2021
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuzz View Post
Hey wasn't looking for legal advice but more the steps that may be taken. IV concluded that the request was sent to Etsy and they may or may not hand over information and records to these people. These people would then decide whether to take further action.
IMO there is very little they can do. They are not going to spend good money chasing you through the UK legal system unless of course you are obviously wealthy

The deed is done, your account is toast, all you can do is sit back and await developments.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigblackdog For This Useful Post:
bhuzz (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021

Activity: 20%
Longevity: 40%

Don't lose sleep over it, I highly doubt they will spend the money that it will cost for them to pursue you.

Did you get many etsy takedowns / removals of listings prior to this final suspension ?
Old 10-01-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
Don't lose sleep over it, I highly doubt they will spend the money that it will cost for them to pursue you.

Did you get many etsy takedowns / removals of listings prior to this final suspension ?
I got 1 or 2 removals but this was around 4 months ago. Nothing since. Thanks for the good words. Hopefully they will leave me alone. 🤞
Old 10-01-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
I got 1 or 2 removals but this was around 4 months ago. Nothing since. Thanks for the good words. Hopefully they will leave me alone. 🤞
Best of luck
Old 10-01-2021

Activity: 79%
Longevity: 46%

it could just be a quick way to suspend sellers because removal of an item does not lead to suspension in many cases but threat of legal proceedings certainly does

I would not worry too much if you do not run a multi million pound operation there. it is not just expensive to take you to court but they also need to present proof , it is with ebay/etsy/amazon etc. where people can be removed randomly using someone's clues , opinions , feelings etc. , in a court of law they would need to show specific evidence which I bet they don't have
Old 10-01-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
it could just be a quick way to suspend sellers because removal of an item does not lead to suspension in many cases but threat of legal proceedings certainly does

I would not worry too much if you do not run a multi million pound operation there. it is not just expensive to take you to court but they also need to present proof , it is with ebay/etsy/amazon etc. where people can be removed randomly using someone's clues , opinions , feelings etc. , in a court of law they would need to show specific evidence which I bet they don't have
Thanks for that. I suppose if they are seeking records from Etsy they can see what IV sold and use that as evidence. I'm hoping it doesn't go further. Its definitely been an eye opener for me. Seems way beyond a little Etsy slap on the wrist/removal. Defiinitly no multi million pound operation. £6 grand or bit Less went through.
Old 10-01-2021

Longevity: 26%

Sometimes they just feel the need to make an example of someone for some publicity or political motivation. It's not always a monetary consideration.

Would I be worried, you bet I would. This is not just a regular account closure due to copyright infringement.

That said, would I take any action at this stage. Nope, none whatsoever. I wouldn't reply to any communications until it's pretty clear it's getting serious and only then would I seek legal advice. Keep your nerve and it should blow over. Fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
bhuzz (10-01-2021)
Old 10-02-2021

Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,035 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

what did you sell?
Old 10-02-2021

Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,035 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
what did you sell?
It depends how strong the brand is?
Rolex will have a lawyer sending out letters
Old 10-02-2021

Activity: 20%
Longevity: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
what did you sell?
Didn't you read what he wrote ?

" I was selling patches with mostly small ISH band logos these are not official been selling for about 8 months. "
The Following User Says Thank You to james_112233 For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (10-02-2021)
Old 10-18-2021

Longevity: 14%

Hi,
I got the same email from Etsy.
I was reading on reddit there are some people they got the same email too.
All they do is settlements so you have to pay and then they will give back your account.
Old 10-20-2021

Longevity: 36%

If that route is being taken then its something serious. Did you defraud anyone?

It sounds like your info is being subpoenaed. Which means the police are involved investigating a crime.

They will subpoena your ip info from etsy and trace that back to your door. If that doesnt work then they will follow up with the bank attached to your etsy and subpoena your info that way. So stealth wont help you whatsoever.

Good Luck.

Stealth is ok as long as you dont commit a crime like fraud. Otherwise youre an easy find.
Old 10-24-2021
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar07 View Post
Hi,
I got the same email from Etsy.
I was reading on reddit there are some people they got the same email too.
All they do is settlements so you have to pay and then they will give back your account.
Welcome to the forum OP - all the best as you master stealth

Old 03-30-2022

Longevity: 11%

Quote:
Hi. So I just received an email: we received the attached legal process seeking information,records,or other action regarding your account.in accordance with this notification,we have suspended your account privileges.we cannot provide you with legal advice.if you have questions about the legal process,you should consult an attorney.if you wish to object to the legal process,you or you attorney should contact the attorney who issued the subpoena or the issuing court. This is issued by attorney for plaintiff which are in Illinois. ( account is registered in Scotland)I was selling patches with mostly small ISH band logos these are not official been selling for about 8 months. Taken about 6 grand through. The account and attached bank account are in my sister name. Address registered is old address. Email address attached is not attached is stealth. Any advice on what might happen?
Do you think you could message me? I have some questions as a good friend of mine just got this eCBmail as well! I joined just to message you but it wont let me since I haven’t made any posts. If you can’t message me on here my name on here is pretty much the same across all socials.
Old 03-31-2022
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigoxcured View Post
Do you think you could message me? I have some questions as a good friend of mine just got this eCBmail as well! I joined just to message you but it wont let me since I haven’t made any posts. If you can’t message me on here my name on here is pretty much the same across all socials.
Welcome to the forum - all the best as you master stealth

Old 04-04-2022

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigoxcured View Post
Did your friend get same email from Illinois? Also can you tell me what company was that that hired these lawers?

Last edited by lukas1001; 04-04-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2022

Longevity: 11%

Hey bhuzz, i just got this same email, was wondering if anything come out of your email. I'm currently 5 months pregnant and now very worried.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepybear For This Useful Post:
Madgallo79 (04-25-2023)
Old 05-08-2022

Longevity: 18%

Quote:
If I am understanding this correctly as an Intellectual property issue, In my opinion I doubt anything will come of it....but nobody here can say for sure.

What exactly were you selling?

Is 6,000 the total amount yoiu sold, or the total of one transaction? I cant imagine someone hiring an attorney for a small amount.

Etsy will provide all the info that it is able, including IP addresses, etc etc...
Did Etsy provide you a copy of the subpoena?

Whoever hired the attorney was likely just trying to scare you and shut down your shop, which happened. BUT - it depends on what law(s) they believe you are in breach of.

Anyone who received a similar email needs to find a way contact the offended parties to get more information. Depending on the offense, it may be better to IGNORE the letter, in others, you want to try to GET AHEAD of it in case your identity can be exposed by what info Etsy has.