UPDATED for JUNE! How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales... - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 05-23-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%
Default re: (UPDATE #4) How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
You should throw in a quick top10 things NOT to buy.. that would be useful I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kockedoff View Post
That would be great !
OK, I spent some time thinking about this and have made up a pretty good tentative list, but I'm going to wait to post it until tomorrow to see if anything else comes to mind at the sales?

That was a really good idea aspkin, but very time consuming for my part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-23-2014), yankee (05-24-2014)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-26-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default (UPDATE #4) Top 12 "not to buy list"

List of TOP 12 items of not to buy:

1) 1st and foremost, don't buy an item that will cost you more to ship than it's worth unless you are going to resell it on Craigslist.

2) Counterfeit items or items that are heavily counterfeited without a receipt unless you know how to tell the difference and can prove it.

3) Expired items that will sell in the "Health and Beauty" section. You are going to see items such as Proactiv, anti-age creams etc. These are Great finds, but be sure and check the dates.

4) Medical Equipment requiring a prescription and/or not allowed on eBay. Example: 10's units (Electrical Nerve Stimulators), CPAP Machines & CPAP Humidifiers are also not allowed on eBay. BUT: CPAPS do sell FAST on Craigslist.

5) Obsolete Computer Equipment: Example: Single core processor computers, Full screen laptops, Old Fat laptops (except for Panasonic Toughbooks) Routers that have only a B range and most G range routers are also usually worthless.

6) Most Vintage Electronics: This is a tricky category and a specialty of mine. Most of what you will find is usually worthless. If you venture into this category a good rule of thumb is to stay with "High End" names. Educate yourself with names like Nakamichi, Pioneer and Sansui to start.

7) Stay away from used movie DVD's. I will do an update this week on desirable DVD's.

8) I shy away from used clothing and shoes unless I see something special like Leather Jackets, Disney clothing, Vintage Concert Shirts etc.

9) Knic Knacs, Statues and Home decor: Unless you know what you are looking at, stay far away. Low or No profit margin and a big hassle to ship.

10) Most Collectibles: Most are low value and cost more to ship than actual worth. There are exceptions of course, but you need to research before purchase.

11) Directv Receivers and DVR's: These are VERO and they will report you unless you can prove they were not rented. Selling their accessories is OK, ex: Remotes, Splitters etc...

12) OEM Car Stereo's: If you venture into this category, expect about a 40% return rate. These are Great profit, but you cannot test them. Do NOT buy these unless the seller can relatively prove to you they are the original owner and a good reason why they removed it from their car. IE: Removed because they upgraded to a DVD System or a Navigation System.

____

Even thought this is a TOP 12 of what not to buy post, there are some things I included to be on the look-out for:

1) Leather Jackets and Vests: Especially Biker Style, Western and Native American. You should be able to get them for under $10. Try and stay away from the Pakistan and Chinese Leather Jackets unless they are Vintage or something special.

2) Vintage Concert Shirts and Vintage Belt Buckles Promoting the Music Bands and Artists are always good.

3) Vintage Tennis, Basketball and Skateboard Shoes are desirable, but they have to be a Top Name Brand and in Very Good Condition or New.

4) Medical Equipment: You are going to see 4 or 5 CPAP units and a year. These cannot be sold on eBay, but they sell FAST on Craigslist. You can sell the the accessories except for the mask and humidifier. Something else to note: You can sell the Humidifier Parts, but not the complete unit as a whole.

5) Directv Receivers and DVR's cannot be sold on eBay, BUT: DishNetwork doesn't seem to care. When selling these, be sure and sell them as a parts machine unless you can prove they weren't rented units.

This is what a common CPAP Machine looks like (but there will be several variations:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
aspkin (05-27-2014), biggunn (05-28-2014), flex2264 (06-12-2014), gosunsplease (05-27-2014), GreenBean (05-27-2014), kockedoff (06-01-2014), mileni (05-03-2015), RetroRedneck (07-21-2014), rjksieksl (09-04-2014), rsot (05-27-2014), Salvo (12-15-2014)
Old 05-27-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%
Default re: (UPDATE #5) How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Sweet! Good stuff.. My sister bought Skis last time she went to the Garage Sales.. now THAT was a mistake.

I bet after awhile you can just glance at items and see their value very quickly.
Old 05-28-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%

I live in Pontiac. I have been thinking of this strategy for a long time.
Old 06-10-2014

Longevity: 59%
Default re: (UPDATE #5) How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

I've never been to a garage sale before, but these tips are really interesting. I may find a few local ones in my area, and check them out, but they aren't many in London to my knowledge :/
Old 06-10-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibraheem98 View Post
I've never been to a garage sale before, but these tips are really interesting. I may find a few local ones in my area, and check them out, but they aren't many in London to my knowledge :/
Look for Car Boot Sales....

There are lots of chances around
Old 06-10-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default UPDATE #5 - Another Overlooked Common Item!

WOW! 2 Weeks since my last update.

We are going to talk about a commonly overlooked item today.

CIRCUIT BREAKERS: For homes and businesses.

The rule of thumb here is the bigger or more unique the Breaker is, the more it will be worth. If a Breaker says 240v, they will tend to be worth more than a 120v one and so on.

Breakers usually are 1, 2 or 3 pole. The more poles they have usually indicates the more worth. The below picture is a general guide to the sizes:

If you find a box of old beat up breakers, don't hesitate to buy them. Customers are always looking for the exact match of what they already have.

What should you pay when you find them? Let's say you found a tub of old dirty breakers with cob webs and showing years of wear...

First thing you should do is take a quick inventory of count, condition and size. Be willing to pay up to $5+. each for any 240v and if you get real lucky and find some 480v 200a Breakers you can safely pay 20+ as some of these are worth as much as $500++ if they are 3 pole.

Copy and Paste this into eBay (completed) used SOLD and see for yourself: 480v 200a circuit breaker

120v Breakers are more tricky. I generally won't pay more then 50¢ each for these unless they have something unique about them. The Breaker below is unique because is has the little coil cord which is a "Ground Fault" and even though it is only a single pole and 120v it's worth between $25-$35.

In general, Circuit Breakers should be $200-$1000 of your yearly income and you should be finding them at least once a month. You will become much more acquainted with these once you start finding, buying and selling them.

Last edited by TGMT²; 05-03-2015 at 06:27 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
aspkin (06-12-2014), gosunsplease (06-10-2014), GreenBean (06-10-2014), katty (02-01-2015), kockedoff (06-12-2014), unkown5454 (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014

Longevity: 66%
Default Re: UPDATE #5 - Another Overlooked Common Item!

How many garage sales do u go to weekly/monthly ? What items do you sell in holidays when there aren't that many garage sales ?

Last edited by TGMT²; 06-12-2014 at 01:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kockedoff For This Useful Post:
gosunsplease (06-12-2014), TGMT² (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default Re: UPDATE #5 - Another Overlooked Common Item!

Quote:
How many garage sales do u go to weekly/monthly ?
I go every single Saturday except when there is rain which is seldom where I live. I also go on Friday's when family or friends visit from other states.

For some reason my guests say a big highlight of their visit is me taking them to the sales? So, we go both days. (Friday and Saturday) But I slow things down a bit, so they have a chance to look at the stuff they like.

Quote:
What items do you sell in holidays when there aren't that many garage sales ?
GOSH! If I quit going to the Garage Sales, I conservatively have enough inventory to last me way beyond a year. That's why I quit going to the sales on Friday's, I don't have enough storage space, nor do I need more stuff.

Once you start learning the main items to get, they stack up pretty fast. That's why I'm trying to show you the overlooked items first in this thread, so when you get out there, most of these things will still be at the sales though out the day...

For instance: Everyone knows that is they see Brand New iPod for $5. they are going to buy it. So chances are it will be gone before you even get there. But most people would not think to buy used Breakers-Wheel Caps-Thermostats etc. as mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, Hopefully you are getting out there and developing some good routes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
flex2264 (06-12-2014), mat_tz (06-09-2015)
Old 06-12-2014
Administrator

Default re: (NEW UPDATE !) How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Nice update... something you think has little value can be worth so much.. interesting.. and here most big sellers are TV series junkies.
Old 08-17-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default re: (NEW UPDATE !) How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Sorry about the late update, but I can get back on track now.

Today's item is really going to surprise everyone! And what's more you will get a lot of these for free.

Toilet Tank Lids: (who would of thought?)

I discovered this just 2 years ago when I bought several items and one was thrown in for free as part of a purchase. I sold it for more than a $100.

The average sell price of a used lid varies depending on model, shape and color. I have seen some go as high as $300+ for used.

My guess is that most of the buyers of these are from rental properties. But I guess some people don't know how cheap it is to buy a new toilet and how easy they are to install, so they buy a used lid or tank thinking they are taking the easy route.

Chances are: Most people are not going to let you just buy the lid if they are selling the whole toilet. BUT: The good news is, you can buy the whole thing for between $5-$10 and you can drop off the unwanted toilet at Good Will on your way home.

OR: You can go home and take the tank off and sell that too. They do sell well and for a good amount, but that's not my thing because it is a shipping hassle.

And the BEST thing: I usually get about 50% of my lids for free. You will see them on the toilet next to a trash usually driving around when you are out looking for sales. I stop, take the lid and leave. It's like finding a free $60. bill.

Most of the used common white ones (like above) are usually worth $60-$100.

Color high-end lids can go for as much as $300.

Common tanks if you don't mind shipping them, are usually $100-$300

eBay Links for USED:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...k+lid&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+tank&_sacat=0
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
123 (08-17-2014), aspkin (08-17-2014), BangkokBetty (11-15-2015), gosunsplease (08-17-2014), katty (02-01-2015), Salvo (12-15-2014), unkown5454 (08-18-2014), yankee (01-24-2015)
Old 08-17-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default re: Tips on How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Sorry about the late update, but I can get back on track now.

Today's item is really going to surprise everyone! And what's more you will get a lot of these for free.
LMAO WOW, now that I definitely wasnt expecting. Great info TGMT, even though I may not have the time to actually get into this industry now, I find it really interesting and i love learning about different avenues of generating revenue. Keep up the great work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
aspkin (08-17-2014), TGMT² (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014

Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Toilet Tank Lids
Great to see the Thread Back!! Lots of good info, but DANG toilet LIDS. LOL hey i guess that's the clean part huh. Well gonna keep an eye out for them
The Following User Says Thank You to gosunsplease For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014
Administrator

Wow.. that's amazing...

Great post TGMT.
Old 08-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Default re: "NEW UPDATE" - How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Wow, haven't looked through this thread in months. TGMT awesome insight and posts. Thank you for sharing with the board.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
nammage (12-05-2014)
Old 08-25-2014
Banned

Since this toilet lid part I seen so many people throwing them out. I wonder if I should start picking them up??? But then again those are sooo heavy. I'm scared to get shot if I try to pick one up when people throw them away. I mean who would think toilet lids right? :O

Still to heavy for me. I think it would easily break when shipping it maybe but there is a way to package it all nice and safely. Maybe he can show us!

Anyways whens the next up date TGMT?

But yeah the money in this is fricken crazy! I am having flash backs of all those toilet lids I seen in Detroit back in the day! OMG! Just laying and standing there on the side of the streets! I mean WOW UNREAL! Just money laying around.

I can't wait until TGMT will post another tip. It's nice to see how people make money these days with things you wouldn't even know. I really give props to TGMT for the helpful information.

I'll never sell a toilet lid because it's not my thing but it's just nice to read how others are making it you know? Anyways I hope he posts something else soon!

Last edited by TGMT²; 08-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2014

Longevity: 57%
Default re: "NEW UPDATE" - How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

GREAT stuff, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-04-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 55%

Fantastic list.
Old 09-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Lots of gold info

Last edited by rsot; 09-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2014
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Default re:

Today we are going to talk about something simple.

Power Supplies - AC Adapters:

There are different types of power supplies, the 3 common ones are..

1) AC Adapters (what we are going to talk about here)

2) Power Supply Units (typically found in Desktop Computers)

3) Power Supply Boards (mounted on a circuit board)

Below is a image of a common AC Adapter

You probably have 10 or more of these in your home right now. They power your Laptops, Printers, Modems, Routers, Cordless Phones and 1000's of other items.

They are also used to charge your Tablets, Cell Phones, eBooks, Games etc..

You want to buy anything Music, Medical or Industrial related. Meaning if you know a power supply goes to a CPAP machine it will probably be worth $40+

The one below is one I have never seen before. (I would buy it)

I was fortunate last year to hit a garage sale that had several power supplies that I have never seen before. I could just tell that they went to something expensive. It turned out I was right as they were for surveying equipment, anyway I quickly turned my $10 into almost a $1000.

As time goes on, you will learn what looks common and what's unique. Try and buy the unique uncommon ones.

Most Garage Sales sell them for 25¢ - $1.

TIP: Sometimes the power supply is worth more by itself, than selling the item with the power supply. So before you list anything that comes with a power supply, research the part number of the PS first and make sure you're not screwing yourself out of additional money. HINT: Same thing applies on Remote Controls.

On average, you will see 20 or more power supplies per outing. You will quickly learn what types to buy and what to leave alone.

Testing these is as simple as it gets, I made quick YouTube video on how easy it is. Yes, I know, I sound kind-of dorky, but it's my first one and I was a little apprehensive.

I'll add more to this post if I think of anything else..

Last edited by TGMT²; 04-17-2015 at 03:47 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
aniseed (09-14-2014), aspkin (09-10-2014), BaggaDonuts (06-02-2017), GhostWhoWalks (09-10-2014), kgattison (01-27-2016), miketyson (09-15-2014), mileni (05-03-2015), novemberrain1970 (09-12-2014), Salvo (12-15-2014), unkown5454 (09-14-2014), yankee (01-23-2015)
Old 09-10-2014
Administrator

I have DOZENS of power supplies lying around my house collecting dust. It's one of those things that you don't really think about until yours breaks down and you're on the hunt for a replacement.. I would bet these are in HIGh demand all year long.
Old 09-10-2014
Administrator

Default re: FUN & PROFIT: How to make Very Good money going to Garage & Yard Sales...

Oh wow, I just noticed the video. That's TGMT!

At first I just thought it was a random video.

Good stuff!