eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   General Platform Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/general-platform-discussions/)
-   -   Are Any of the Alternatives to eBay and Amazon Worth Trying? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/general-platform-discussions/86770-any-alternatives-ebay-amazon-worth-trying.html)

joeys 06-18-2015 04:40 PM

Are Any of the Alternatives to eBay and Amazon Worth Trying?

I'm the kind of person that only sold on eBay or Amazon if I had something around my house that I no longer have any use for. Occasionally I'll go to a garage/estate sale or a going out of business sale but that's pretty rare. It wasn't even close to a full time income though.

Since I got suspended on eBay I tried iOffer and Craigslist. I got 2 offers for the same item on iOffer and both times they cancelled after I accepted. I've sold nothing since and the only thing I ever bought on there were rare movies I couldn't find anywhere else.

With Craigslist I've only sold a few things and they were big items that I was selling dirt cheap. I've gotten more offers to pay way less than I was asking on Craigslist. I expected offers to pay less but $5 for something I'm asking $40 for is a bit ridiculous. They don't want to negotiate either because when I send a counteroffer they don't get back to me. I live in a town of about 100k people and people from big cities close by have contacted me so it's not like it's reaching no one. But now I'm trying to get rid of an exercise bike for about 60% less than what I paid and it's just sitting there.

I'm in the process of creating my first stealth account (mainly for Paypal) and that should be done in about a week and in a month or so it should be ready to sell on eBay if I choose to. I really don't want to go back to eBay because the reason I got suspended left me very bitter. But I could use the money and have plenty of stuff here to sell.

So am I just wasting my time trying other eBay alternatives? It seems like I am.

jeffweico 06-18-2015 04:45 PM

Re: Are Any of the Alternatives to eBay and Amazon Worth Trying?

Some people make money on Craigslist just by sending lowball offers for items and seeing if the sellers accept them. The few that do provide them with items to sell on eBay.

Etsy is a good option for handmade and vintage items.

Bonanza can be a good marketplace if you specialize in a specific category and are willing to go above and beyond for your customers. It works well for some people and not at all for others. All you can do is try it and see.

Most marketplaces are not worth the hassle. But there are a few others worth noting. They can be good IF you can get approval to sell on them, because they do NOT take everybody!

Newegg, Sears and Rakuten fall into this category.

Some people DO make good money selling on Craigslist. That is better for local stuff- appliances, cars, whatever.

Were there any SPECIFIC marketplaces that you are interested in?

joeys 06-18-2015 04:52 PM

Bonanza was the only one that I had seriously considered.

doL 06-22-2015 10:06 AM

I do decent on Etsy. They are definitely not as strict on their regulations. And it's also nice that you aren't forced to use pp, but having a pp linked to your Etsy account will draw in more business.

notsosureaboutit 06-22-2015 10:43 AM

Why don't you just try. Because some people failed on other market places and some didn't. I guess it depends on the niche as well.

I only sell 2-3 items (electronics for around $200) and 2 usb sticks for below market price (because I am over stock). I started on most other market places 2-3 month ago. Now I am at 2 sales on eCrater, 3 sales on iOffer, 1 sale on craigslist, 0 sales on bidorbuy, unisquare, bonanza and hood.de. Tried some other classifieds too with no success.

On craigslist, I get a lot of questions and inquiries (more than all other market places together including ebay and amazon), about the items I sell. I guess a lot of people on craigslist are a bit older or do not understand my product.

Next will be Newegg, Sears, Rakuten and Ricardo when I have time :)

yankee 06-22-2015 10:56 AM

Some small nitch platforms rock!
They can be almost like running your own website but being supported and fed by someone else. YOUR effort and promotion will determine if these work or not and of course if your items are in demand.

Facebook can be exceptional at times too IF you are social.

slokor 06-22-2015 02:46 PM

Unless you are selling within a very specialized niche ebay and amazon are (unfortunately) the biggest players in the field without any sign of other competition.

123 06-22-2015 02:50 PM

It really depends on your items as others have mentioned, sites like Craigslist & Facebook can be just as good as ebay for some items, but it also depends on your location a lot too.

Cobra commander 06-23-2015 03:02 AM

Just sell the exercise bike to fat spiderman (MM78). Spidey could use a ride or two :lol:

joeys 08-14-2015 11:04 AM

I listed some items on Bonanza recently. I wasn't expecting much based on comments that I read here. The one thing that bothers me is that I'm paying the higher commission if I sell an item because I chose to have it advertised on Google Shopping and only 1 out of 20 items is being advertised.

I get more traffic on iOffer than Bonanza which is kind of sad.

bigdaz 08-14-2015 02:40 PM

anyone from uk use other sites?

lcfp 08-20-2015 12:05 AM

dawanda is ok if you are in europe

zoneout 09-21-2015 09:06 PM

you cant sell an excercize bike on ebay anyway... the shipping will kill you. craigslist is the only way.

estrada 12-14-2015 10:46 AM

Let's make a bid to switch our buying to more seller friendly markets, one by one we can do it. I will shop more on Bonanza and iOffer, will also personally encourage my friends to do so as well.

fantomas0405 12-18-2015 01:34 AM

Ecrater has been quite good for me and it is almost free

onlinehelpneeded 01-16-2016 04:33 PM

but not many other sites have people who seriously spend time looking at there products to get enough sales to make it worthwhile

Shellygirl55 01-17-2016 04:08 AM

Some cities and towns have yard sale pages on Facebook. Like the one near me is called ++++ County virtual yard sale. Believe it or not, I've sometimes done better on that site. Especially for something huge and heavy like work out equipment. Type in your city and sale, and hopefully something will come up, or you could even start your group :)

grt11 01-17-2016 06:53 AM

I know some guys who made a lot by selling on Craigslist. Also you don't need to face with Paypal issues...

madhusky 02-01-2016 05:25 AM

Has anyone tried craigslist + PayPal route? I would like to hear your experiences, thanks

newjerseymax 02-05-2016 01:34 AM

I think craigslist might be the only place with more lowball scammers then ebay... Be careful where and when you make deals. Make sure it is in public and you are not alone. Seen some shady stuff on there....

kampanagroup 03-05-2016 09:33 AM

Ebay, Amazon, and Craigslist are the only ones in USA that have 1000's of people going on. Etsy has its niches. Everything else unfortunately (bonanza, iOffer, eCrater, etc.) just doesn't have the product.

If you have your own site, the shopify platform seems to be working on Facebook, but you'd still have to market your own site

markcle 03-14-2016 11:43 AM

Tried banana and isuffer for a few years.... a whopping 5 sales and 0 sales respectively! WOW.