Has ebay banned merchant accounts completely? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions > Payment Gateways

Payment Gateways Payment Gateway Discussions - Stripe Accounts, PayPal Accounts, Authorize.Net, Coinbase and More.

Old 01-12-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 98%
Default Has ebay banned merchant accounts completely?

I've heard reports that people say merchant accounts are banned completely or at least even with merchant account dox, they are forced to offer paypal as an option.

Quote:
While we confirm your merchant credit card account, you can continue listing items on eBay with PayPal as the payment method. PayPal is convenient to use and offers buyers and sellers protection against fraud, chargebacks, and theft of financial data.
Paypal is not safe for buyers because it relies on money in the seller's account. Plus buyers get their accounts hijacked a lot, too.

Paypal is not safe for sellers because paypal freezes your accounts and buyers at any time they want can file a fraudulent claim and always get their money back while keeping the merchandise too.

Paypal also isn't safe to give financial data to like your social security number due to identity theft and so of course paypal demands it from most sellers. Paypal is unsafe to give a bank account to because if your account goes negative, paypal will do unauthorized bank withdraw attempts 20 times a day and rack you up $600 of NSF fees -- including for buyers who won a paypal dispute but the seller later gets it reversed and the buyer's account goes negative.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-13-2008
Executive [VIP]

You might want to post this on the main ebay forum. I don't know if this is true or not. I do know I was forced to choose paypal recently. This is only the second time this has happened to me. I gave them a non paypal associated email but here's the thing. Everyone who has bid on my auctions won't pay for their items now when I tell them I'm having problems with my paypal account which is true and offer them another method to pay. It seems ebay has ppl completely brainwashed. It's possible that things are so bad over there they feel they need ppl to use paypal to compensate for losses in profits.
Old 01-13-2008

Longevity: 95%

HI- no one believed me on 1/7--
Hi- I posted that on another thread the other day + WAS told i was incorrect--just needed to update my feedback..
- they are making you accept paypal in order to put certain listings through---i.e. name brand items..
(thinking I'm getting everything first like the West Coast gets all the good pcs + gadgets first) )
Old 01-13-2008

yeah lol, i once put that "i dont accept paypal since its not safe, go read PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system! for more info" they took each of those auctions down with some bull**** reason.
Old 03-14-2008

Can we still use merchant accounts or eBay has now really implemented "Paypal only" policy for sellers with less than 100 FB and for those who sell under higher-risk categories?

Wikipedia (eBay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
"PayPal-only categories

Beginning in August, 2007, eBay required listing in "Video Games" and "Health & Beauty" to accept its payment system PayPal and sellers could only accept PayPal for payments in the category "Video Games: Consoles". [24] Starting January 10, 2007, eBay says sellers can only accept PayPal as payment for the categories "Computing > Software", "Consumer Electronics > MP3 Players", "Wholesale & Job Lots > Mobile & Home Phones", and "Business, Office & Industrial > Industrial Supply / MRO".[25] eBay announced that started in March 2008, eBay had added to this requirement that all sellers with less than 100 feedback must offer PayPal and no merchant account may be used as an alternative.[26][27]"

And here's the info directly from eBay (eBay.co.uk - Business Centre - Changes to Payment Methods)

In August 2007 we started to require sellers listing in certain higher risk categories to offer PayPal as a payment option, whilst in other categories we made it the only payment method allowed (see announcement). As a result we've seen increased purchases and bids in these categories.

We're now extending the requirement to offer PayPal, so that buyers can shop with more confidence and protection across the site and sellers can benefit from being more likely to sell their items.

In late March 2008, we will require sellers to offer PayPal as a payment method in the following cases:

1. For all sellers who have a feedback score of less than 100
2. For all sellers when listing an item in certain higher risk categories. These are:
1. Health & Beauty
2. Video Games
3. Mobile & Home Phones
4. Computers
5. Consumer Electronics
6. Jewellery & Watches

We'll alert sellers impacted by these requirements during the listing process. We'll also send targeted emails to sellers who we will require to offer PayPal because their buyer satisfaction is particularly low.
Holding Payments

To ensure transactions are completed to the satisfaction of both buyer and seller, PayPal may make the decision to hold payments related to specific transactions on eBay. This will only occur on a very small percentage of transactions, where research predicts a bad experience is more likely to occur. These restrictions will come into force at the end of March, and full details will be made available in good time before this change.

If you would like to sell in the categories and transactions affected by the extension of our safe payments programme, you'll need to sign up for a PayPal account if you don't already have one:

* Learn more about how PayPal protects the buyer and seller

Expanding Seller Protection

PayPal will be making some changes to their seller protection as an exclusive offer for PowerSellers. Sellers have asked for more seller protection, especially for international payments. PayPal is committed to providing a safer and easier way to be paid online. These changes will be an important step in improving protection for sellers on eBay. More details will be available in a few weeks.

Is all true? Does it mean that you can use your own merchant account only if you have more than 100 FB and are selling under low-risk categories or is it yet to come? If it's all true, why are still talking about merchant accounts as the best option?
Old 03-14-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

You create a diversion from paypal to your merchant account.
Old 03-14-2008

Should we send the merchant account statement to ebay before they officially annonce the new policy?
Old 03-14-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 93%
Default Paypal account

2 days ago I started an eBay account and I bought two $1 item to start my feedbacks, When I was ready to pay for my third item, eBay did not allow me to pay with my cc until I open a paypal account. I could not believe it I try 5 times and it was always the same thing. Now you can not even buy and pay for your item until you have a paypal account. I open two paypal accounts as a business account but I did not use a business number, I only use a master card gift card and a bank account. After I verify them they lifted my limit. I wonder if eventually they will ask me for those Business account numbers. Does any body know if this can happen?
Thank you
Old 10-18-2010

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I've heard reports that people say merchant accounts are banned completely or at least even with merchant account dox, they are forced to offer paypal as an option.

Paypal is not safe for buyers because it relies on money in the seller's account. Plus buyers get their accounts hijacked a lot, too.

Paypal is not safe for sellers because paypal freezes your accounts and buyers at any time they want can file a fraudulent claim and always get their money back while keeping the merchandise too.

Paypal also isn't safe to give financial data to like your social security number due to identity theft and so of course paypal demands it from most sellers. Paypal is unsafe to give a bank account to because if your account goes negative, paypal will do unauthorized bank withdraw attempts 20 times a day and rack you up $600 of NSF fees -- including for buyers who won a paypal dispute but the seller later gets it reversed and the buyer's account goes negative.

Exactly what I'm having done to me right now..it wasn't enough to "freeze" (TAKE/STEAL) $2,800 of my money..but now ebay is basically encouraging my customers to open cases on me for a refund..and these idiots who have received their $40-90 items (1-3 weeks ago) are opening cases, playing dumb. So I'm $2,800 in the hole..and no, you never get that back..and I also lose ALL of my merchandise sent, AND refund these people..and additionally have another $1,000 in merchandise I'm stuck with. Thanks ebay/paypal. Just had a death in the family and I'm a medical student trying to survive through college and this recession. I appreciate the way you treat your members.

PS. I can't go into my resolution center since ebay suspended me for "security/suspicious" reasons..no explanation...emailed and called...was told I need to email ebay for a detailed explanation. Awesome.

Last edited by deebee; 10-18-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2010

Longevity: 78%

when it becomes unprofitable, even with there BS.
Old 10-19-2010

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Skype™ to ebayerOG

how can they move on they are probly like me and depend on ebay/paypal to make a living...
Old 10-19-2010

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by direct-4u View Post
You all continue to use eBay and they will continue to screw you all over. When will you ever learn to move on from both eBay and PayPal? LOL?
Where do you suggest they move on to?
The Following User Says Thank You to deebee For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (08-16-2020)
Old 10-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Heading up the River seems to be a good option these days...
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020

Activity: 43%
Longevity: 40%
Default Re: Has ebay banned merchant accounts completely?

eBay have started to block sellers from using their own merchant payment accounts on eBay to accept direct payments via credit and debit card.
Old 08-16-2020

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%
Default Re: Has ebay banned merchant accounts completely?

thats old news,why are we resurrecting all these old threads?
Billpoint,cash,money order,postal order,cashier check,Propay,merchant account have all been phased out by Ebay.