PayPal Steals My Money a Week Before 180 Days - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 10-03-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 30%
Default PayPal Steals My Money a Week Before 180 Days

I first got limited way back in April and I kept using PayPal for another couple of months and now I got something like over $11k frozen up with them. $8,800 of that was due to be unfrozen on Sunday so I could finally withdraw it to my bank.

Something was telling me to check my PayPal accounts not that long ago and I see that PayPal has withdrawn the money to themselves basically stealing it from me. They claim they did it via PayPal's Damages Caused by Acceptable Use Policy Violation.

So I called a friend for legal advice soon after I found about it and they told me it's time to find local consumer attorneys in my area and send a legal demand letter in order PayPal give back the money within the next 30 days or they will be taken to court. They usually cave in every time because they don't want to go to court. That might be what I have to do something I'm shamefully afraid to say that I should've done way back in April when they first froze the accounts up. I wasted my time contacting the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General Office who did absolutely nothing for me on this accept let PayPal get their way and keep my money locked up away from me for 6 long months.

Has anybody else been in this situation?

Last edited by NorthPoleWarehouse; 10-03-2019 at 02:00 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-03-2019
Threadstarter  

Default Re: PayPal Steals My Money a Week Before 180 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Loads of poster have said they'll take them to court, not that many come back with proof of success.

My take on this is they're confident they'll get to keep your money and await your next move....

So what gave Paypal the confidence to keep your money, you must have an inkling of what their grounds are?
Well I just got legal advice from a friend on what to do and somebody on here confirmed in the summer that they had a demand letter sent got their money back right after PayPal received that letter.

I think PayPal will do whatever to keep our money until you show that you're for real about taking them to court and the demand letter usually does it because most people don't know about doing that so they know if somebody does that then they''re for real.

They never gave me a real reason only that I was making money too fast and don't allow digital goods to be sold. They took the money claiming damages and acceptable use policy all bull**** when my friend read through everything telling me I have been conned into thinking I did something wrong on their platform when in reality they're going to test me to see if I try to fight back to keep it.
Old 10-03-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Legitimate digital goods?

If they suspect you're selling A) counterfeit wares and B) against their policies then they might just stand their ground. Anyway, we'll find out soon.
Yeah, legitimate just spoke to a lawyer online who couldn't help with the letter since they weren't local or free but did tell me PayPal will cave in every time even if somebody was selling something illegal. The problem with PayPal too is they never tell you specifically what you did wrong either that's how he knew what they were doing was illegal.

He says what they're doing is illegal if they make you wait for 180 days only to keep the money and they know it so they will not in most cases stand their ground but he told me to contact somebody locally during business hours and get that letter drawn up. So that's a third person confirming this letter, just amazing how I'm just finding out about this letter now. LOL!

PayPal can't ignore demand letters because they know the next step is the court and they don't want to lose more money than it's worth. For PayPal, $11k is small change, if it were millions that'd be worth a fight for them.

Last edited by NorthPoleWarehouse; 10-03-2019 at 03:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthPoleWarehouse For This Useful Post:
cs38 (11-01-2020)
Old 10-03-2019

Activity: 20%
Longevity: 40%

Sorry I can't help but it makes me sick hearing about paypal locking up substantial funds indefinitely. Why you would even keep such a balance is beyond belief. I leave a tiny amount to cover refunds as recommended by pro stealthers on this board but then withdraw every other penny. Lesson learnt though, hope you get it released.
Old 10-03-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
Sorry I can't help but it makes me sick hearing about paypal locking up substantial funds indefinitely. Why you would even keep such a balance is beyond belief. I leave a tiny amount to cover refunds as recommended by pro stealthers on this board but then withdraw every other penny. Lesson learnt though, hope you get it released.
Yeah man, that's why I'm going to do this and if this works for me I'm letting a lot of people know one day that they can do this to get their money back and maybe then PayPal will shapeup. PayPal is doing it more and more now because people don't fight for their money they're basically daring somebody to get a lawyer to help.

I ask myself that same question everyday over the past 6 months what made me not use common sense and not keep that much money in there? PayPal is not a bank and should not be treated like one.

I've learned my lesson for sure though sometimes you gotta go through hard stuff like this in life to get better. I'll look at it more as a blessing than a negative.

I'm not even going to ever run a business through PayPal ever again, this situation made me learn more about LLCs and getting a merchant account through a business bank account. I'd suggest you guys do the same if you still rely on PayPal for an income.
Old 10-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

This is an example for you:

A PayPal gets limited. Let’s make the amount $7000. No action from the account holder gets the account unlimited.

After phone calls etc, a PayPal staff member says OK we will release your funds in 180 days.
The account holder thinks “great’. But here’s the problem. PayPal have in writing that they will use the balance of your held funds for customer issues.

Not all account holders check the limited balance. The 180 days approach, and the account holder finds out more of what had happened.

The held balance had been used up. This is where it can be difficult to send a letter of demand. PayPal will rarely change its mind about the available balance. Their f***ing quote is check our T&C. Legal action needs correct assistance from a competent attorney (in the USA) and a solicitor in the UK.

Can be done by using due diligence.

Sighs.

Last edited by GreenBean; 10-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2019

Longevity: 26%

Yo, same thing is happening to me, noticed today. I called PayPal and the guy said he opened a claim about it and that I'll hear back from PayPal in 24-36 hours.

Do you have a way so we can talk? We're on the same situation and I'd like to know how you get to solve it, if you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsjoka For This Useful Post:
NorthPoleWarehouse (10-05-2019)
Old 10-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjoka View Post
Yo, same thing is happening to me, noticed today. I called PayPal and the guy said he opened a claim about it and that I'll hear back from PayPal in 24-36 hours.

Do you have a way so we can talk? We're on the same situation and I'd like to know how you get to solve it, if you do.
Who the fudge is Yo? .

Are sitting in your frat house thinking you are cool? It’s not.

Should you post, it gets shared with everyone. Be careful of going private in case you come up against a scammer.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Icykid298 (11-27-2019)
Old 10-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

If you send a formal demand letter to their legal department in San Jose, that will often get their attention.

In most US courts, including California, a Demand Letter is usually a requirement to filing an actual suit. For that reason alone, it's taken much more seriously as well.

There is a 98% chance PayPal's lawyers will respond if you send that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (10-03-2019), NorthPoleWarehouse (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

Can someone send over that legal letter through pm to me? Or to whoever you trust for that matter. It'd be very useful to have a template if anyone can help. Thanks
Old 10-04-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
If you send a formal demand letter to their legal department in San Jose, that will often get their attention.

In most US courts, including California, a Demand Letter is usually a requirement to filing an actual suit. For that reason alone, it's taken much more seriously as well.

There is a 98% chance PayPal's lawyers will respond if you send that.
Thanks for the reply nickopedia, I have heard that sending a formal demand letter to their legal department in San Jose actually works really well.

They take it pretty serious and they respond in quick fashion to it too from what I've heard. They'll respond to it and normally not challenge it to court because PayPal knows they can lose much more in court if a lawsuit is filed. It doesn't make sense for them to show up to court and lose over a small amount of money in their eyes. That's why a lot of people are recommending sending a letter of demand.

They usually respond to it from what I've heard a few days after they receive it. The letter itself is usually set for 30 days to respond.

I've noticed when I sent them threats from BBB or the Attorney General they responded to those as well but because there was no real threat of a lawsuit they would fight the case and make me wait. This will be different since this will lead to arbitration and PayPal will take it way more seriously.

I'm not sure if you can confirm this or not but do you know if PayPal gives you all your money back or do they do a partial settlement where they give you something like 70-80% of it? That's the one question that I haven't had answered yet but other people have aid they've gotten the full amount they're owed for back.

Right now I'm getting the Demand Letter drawn up right now through LetterDash but I'm trying to find San Jose's legal department address then I'll be set and wait to get the final review as they allow me to review the letter before it's sent out which is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier922 View Post
Can someone send over that legal letter through pm to me? Or to whoever you trust for that matter. It'd be very useful to have a template if anyone can help. Thanks
I am using this site called LetterDash where they use real attorneys to write up the letter for you and send it out to PayPal. Make sure you get an attorney to write it and send it. Don't do it yourself because it needs to look real and it needs to come from an actual law office so that PayPal's legal department takes it seriously. I'll give more information on how it goes once I get a reply back from PayPal.
Old 10-04-2019
Executive [VIP]

BBB & State Attorneys are reluctant to support.

Bottom line is they do not care.

NorthPole’ I am pleased you are making progress with the letter.

Fingers crossed...X

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
NorthPoleWarehouse (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
BBB & State Attorneys are reluctant to support.

Bottom line is they do not care.

NorthPole’ I am pleased you are making progress with the letter.

Fingers crossed...X

Yeah GreenBean, they really are pretty useless in this situation I definitely can't recommend anybody wasting their time with them if their money gets limited. Like you said they don't care.

Thanks, man I really appreciate that I feel a lot better now than this time yesterday knowing there's some hope to get this situation finally resolved. Keeping fingers crossed for sure, I want people in my situation to have hope if everything works out for me.
Old 10-05-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

180 days is usually meant to protect Paypal in case of a chargeback or online dispute,but some cases if one is selling counterfeit,or stolen goods,it could be forever,hence this Paypal protection excuse.
Overseas credit card chargeback can be filed after 180 days,we have seen some like after 1 year,which is rare,depends on the country.
OP account was limited but he kept using the account to sell digital goods,and leaving the money in his account,he should know better.
Old 10-05-2019

Longevity: 34%

Does anyone have an update on this?

I had 4.6k locked up and just got it back after 180 days. I sold real goods with tracking numbers.

I think there is more to this case than OP is saying. Paypal just does not take money without some kind of reason.

Hell, they even caught my account with a bad ID on it. And I STILL GOT the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leader2dark For This Useful Post:
Icykid298 (11-27-2019)
Old 10-05-2019

Longevity: 84%

OP, do you have multiple accts. limited?
I think the 2.5K fine could be back on the table.
If you got that amount spread over multiple accts.
So if they fine each acct. it would add up.

Last edited by uber; 10-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
OP, do you have multiple accts. limited?
I think the 2.5K fine could be back on the table.
If you got that amount spread over multiple accts.
So if they fine each acct. it would add up.
Yes, I do it's a total of 8 accounts, most of the money was tied up in the first three accounts that were supposed to be released from the 180-day hold this week.

I'm already working with a lawyer now and sending a demand letter to them this upcoming week to every single penny out of these limited accounts as I heard this works 98% of the time because PayPal is not interested in fighting lawsuits.
Old 10-05-2019

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Who the fudge is Yo? .

Are sitting in your frat house thinking you are cool? It’s not.
Faaaaaak miiii :D :D :D :D Made my day. Yo!
Old 10-05-2019

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader2dark View Post
Does anyone have an update on this?

I had 4.6k locked up and just got it back after 180 days. I sold real goods with tracking numbers.

I think there is more to this case than OP is saying. Paypal just does not take money without some kind of reason.

Hell, they even caught my account with a bad ID on it. And I STILL GOT the money.
You got it... It looks like (for me) as some issue with buyer...
The Following User Says Thank You to jonyquest For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (11-27-2019)
Old 10-05-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjoka View Post

I'll send you a PM on how you can contact me, I'll try to see if I can steer you in the right direction.
Old 11-27-2019

Longevity: 25%

Did any of you get this resolved?

I have the same situation going on over here - https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal...violation.html
Old 11-28-2019

Longevity: 39%

So you checked back a week before 180 days?