Under 20k, Paypal wants Tax ID # - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 08-22-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Default Under 20k, Paypal wants Tax ID #

Alright, I need help! Paypal has sent me 2 emails and currently this is posted at the top of my Paypal page:

Please provide us with your tax ID number. Your tax ID number lets us send you Form 1099-K, as required by the IRS under certain conditions. Find more information about the new tax rules and why we need your tax ID at www.pay$al.com/irs.

The first email said pretty much the same thing as above. The second email was more forceful, saying that without this information the account may be limited. No timeframe was given and the language was vague enough that Paypal could have been saying "If you go over the 20k limit, we will limit your account". But I really don't know. They haven't given me any clear sense of when I have to provide this information, and I'm hesitant to call them to get more information about it.

Currently the account still works, and its been like this for around a month now. However, my concern is growing that its only a matter of time before this account gets frozen. I'm sure I'm way under 20k for the year (estimated at around 6k) and won't be going over 20k. This isn't a question of taxes, its a question of keeping my account from getting frozen. Does anyone have any experience with this or is there a thread that already describes this exact situation? Will Paypal freeze this account if I don't give them my Tax info? Help!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Well the issue just wont go away, or resolve itself without you providing a SS#, or EIN.

You are in paypals crosshairs so you better be prepaired to get limited, or shut down your operation. At this point, you have no choice. Sorry.
Old 08-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Don't go over...have a few in similar positions read what PayPal has said. You aren't required unless you pass those marks...this is just early notification

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to HurricaneHuntr For This Useful Post:
HowYaLivin (08-30-2011)
Old 08-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...d-s-s-irs.html

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...it-paypal.html

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...et-1099-k.html

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...-usa-only.html

My contribution to your quandry. YOU have had ample time to be prepared. Last thread was started in 2010.....
Old 08-26-2011
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post

THanks for the information. GreenBean, what would you recommend doing in this situation? The forums show contradictory information about the ease of using an EIN number... and I'm getting told that I shouldn't worry about it as long as I'm under the 20,000 limit. Out of my 3 accounts,
2 are now being asked for a Tax-ID Number. Do you have any ideas? Should I worry or should I wait until this is a problem?
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

The only 'problem' is your worrying about it.

Not a bad thing but it makes matters worse.

EINs are not difficult to obtain. And, from the reports on this forum alone, have been of benefit to users.
Sandy D (09-09-2011)
Old 08-31-2011
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

What method(s) would you recommend for obtaining multiple EINs? I'm seeing online applications directly through the IRS but don't know how to go about filling out the form given the stealthy nature of my paypal accounts. Similar concerns pop up in the face of talking to an accountant.. what information can I give? What should I avoid? This doesn't appear to be a fool-proof process, and I have limited room for error. Especially when it takes at least 3 months to get a fully functional ebay//paypal ghost account.
Old 08-31-2011
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

ps: all 3 of my accounts are power sellers over 10 months old and currently are my only source of income. I'm on here hoping to learn some details about how someone else has solved this EIN problem, and a general approach to going about it with some "do this" and "avoid that". Until I have a general idea of how to go about this, I'm comfortable expressing my concern for my job as "worry". I don't want to learn how to get multiple EINs at the expense of my current accounts.
Old 08-31-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeak Custoe View Post
ps: all 3 of my accounts are power sellers over 10 months old and currently are my only source of income. I'm on here hoping to learn some details about how someone else has solved this EIN problem, and a general approach to going about it with some "do this" and "avoid that". Until I have a general idea of how to go about this, I'm comfortable expressing my concern for my job as "worry". I don't want to learn how to get multiple EINs at the expense of my current accounts.

Then do one of two things. Get an EIN and use it on one account to test it. ( Most have had success here ). Or you can do it with another new or newer account and test.
Old 08-31-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeak Custoe View Post
THanks for the information. GreenBean, what would you recommend doing in this situation? The forums show contradictory information about the ease of using an EIN number... and I'm getting told that I shouldn't worry about it as long as I'm under the 20,000 limit. Out of my 3 accounts,
2 are now being asked for a Tax-ID Number. Do you have any ideas? Should I worry or should I wait until this is a problem?

The process is very easy, using it is easy, keeping records and understanding once you do you are a full blown business is where you need help.

Once you use it on your account then you are liable for everything that goes through it. Every dollar. You need to also set up estimated quarterly tax payments. if you didnt do it already you will be hammered at tax time for the full brunt of your tax liability. This should have been though about in January an not just now. the year is nearly over and you have made no tax payments thusfar. One main reason that you are not ready for the EIN to be used on a business at this time.

I would not use one until next year if I were you. that way you can start from Jan instead of nearly the end of the year. . Not worth putting on here since people that know nothing about EIN and SSN want to post speculative information.
Sandy D (09-06-2011)
Old 09-02-2011

Longevity: 76%

this is so stupid.

I have a limited $500/mo account, and they still want my tax id. I see that big yellow banner at the top of my pp account.

It is impossible for me to go over $6000 per year. Why the fark would I want to provide my tax id when I can't possibly go over 20k.
Old 09-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

odd yes but it really doesnt matter as you are playing by someone elses rules. Gotta post it or lose the account.
Old 09-06-2011

i wonder what they're gonna do if i don't give a tax id#.

seeing as i'm already limited to $500 a month, how much more can they limit me..........
Old 09-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

Since it's their rules, the chop will limit you.

Can you not supply Tax EIN? Doesnt matter the amount, what matters is you are selling, getting funds, & therefore tax is payable. Dont forget that little angle. IRS still want to know.
Old 09-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Even with an ein in file PayPal wont report it unless you go over the limits.. if they do then they are lying

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2011

After receiving two emails from Paypal demanding Tax ID, I finally posted my LLC's EIN. And as soon as I clicked on EIN, Paypal "forced" me to upgrade my account to a business account. I had no choice but following through the process. Did I do something wrong now? I am very concerned as the Paypal account is a stealth account, the account information does not match my LLC's info. Shall I anticipate an account limitation coming my way? Any info is helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRay View Post
The process is very easy, using it is easy, keeping records and understanding once you do you are a full blown business is where you need help.

Once you use it on your account then you are liable for everything that goes through it. Every dollar. You need to also set up estimated quarterly tax payments. if you didnt do it already you will be hammered at tax time for the full brunt of your tax liability. This should have been though about in January an not just now. the year is nearly over and you have made no tax payments thusfar. One main reason that you are not ready for the EIN to be used on a business at this time.

I would not use one until next year if I were you. that way you can start from Jan instead of nearly the end of the year. . Not worth putting on here since people that know nothing about EIN and SSN want to post speculative information.

People need to listen to KingRay, he is dead on correct in this area of doing the CORRECT thing when it comes to EIN, SS, business records etc.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
KingRay (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomooj View Post
After receiving two emails from Paypal demanding Tax ID, I finally posted my LLC's EIN. And as soon as I clicked on EIN, Paypal "forced" me to upgrade my account to a business account. I had no choice but following through the process. Did I do something wrong now? I am very concerned as the Paypal account is a stealth account, the account information does not match my LLC's info. Shall I anticipate an account limitation coming my way? Any info is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Did your business name match the LLC and EIN exactly? also did your business start date coincide with the start date you listed when upgrading to a Business account?

If all those things didnt match then you might want to get a back up account.

I have wasted probably 20 accounts testing the limits of the LLC's and EIN's to see what can and cannot be done. when those dont match, I have been suspended nearly 80% of the time within a month. When suspended they wanted a SSN on some and indefinite suspension on others. So far nothing but random"ness" from paypal on this issue.

If those didnt match then get a back up ready so if it does get lost then you atleast have some income coming. If they dont suspend it then good you will have 2 up and running accounts.

As far as what someone said about reporting under 20k. They will PROBABLY NOT but are only required to on 20k. Nothing says that under simply will NOT be included. I dont think they will as they would say something about it. BUT as said in a prior post. I can almost assure you that the 20k thing is a 1 yr or 2 only deal. You can almost bet that it will drop dramatically soon as I feel the 20k limit is a test to see what kind of tax can be generated from that level.

I also think that they know people will still avoid it and that will make the drop it or make any income at all reportable in the future. They will make you report it no matter what and its up to you to prove that its a hobby or casual selling.

That last few statements are speculation as I clearly stated as but some on here take things too literally as fact sometimes. I go by what I read and see on various business networks and post my opinions based on those facts. Just an FYI for you all really....
LoopHole (09-14-2011), Sandy D (09-09-2011)
Old 09-13-2011

so, just business name and start date match ein ?

address can be whatever ?
Old 09-14-2011

Longevity: 73%
Default paypal limits

i have paypal on one name and want to give SS# with other name, would it work?
Old 09-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
so, just business name and start date match ein ?

address can be whatever ?
Correct but also Address posted to the IRS should be the same as the Paypal account has down. The IRS doesnt care about address as much as paypal but you should keep it at an address you can access. The IRS will send you paperwork now and in april.

As said before, the EIN process isnt perfect for stealth by any means.
Old 09-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogi View Post
i have paypal on one name and want to give SS# with other name, would it work?
The names doesnt matter because they will make you upgrade to a business account. when you do that then the business name is what matters. The Business name must match the IRS to the letter. The name you give the IRS has to match your ssn.