E-comm website creation: Beginner's guide 101 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 07-03-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Default E-comm website creation: Beginner's guide 101

Good morning!

Today, I would like to start a very SIMPLE (K.I.S.S.) thread on starting your own e-comm website. I hope the veteran webmasters will chime in so that newbies like me can explore this topic in more detail.

My background on e-comm sites:

About 3-4 years ago, I used to run a consulting business for the apparel industry specializing in high end winter clothing. I "created" a website for one of my clients using Volusion. I am NOT a programmer, webmaster, SEO expert etc...

All I did was make sure that the site was aesthetically pleasing to the target market (yes, we used professional graphic artists - students, but they got paid, hence "pro" - ). Then I found google adwords and did my due diligence by reading and reading and reading. Now, I didn't become an adwords expert, but did manage to get the "gist" of the concept. I found the PPC keywords to shoot for, and started the campaign. I did NOT do any organic SEO.

Well, long story short, I helped him LIQUIDATE his entire stock in that one winter! But that was moons ago and from reading the many forums on the web, rules have changed. I do need to mention that the product was a very specific item and was HEAVILY monitored by the manufacturer. My client was an authorized dealer so no problems there. Also, very little competition, so I can't take the credit for my work in that sense.

SOOOOO....what I am humbly asking is can we start discussing the ABC's of creating a e-comm, shopping cart website in 2009? Not looking for SECRETS, more like "creating a basic e-comm site for dummies".

So, to keep this simple, are the following statements still true?

1- Original content is still KING.
2- Still need good links.
3- PPC still works when done properly.
4- Submissions to directories not as useful.

I've read The Cynic's thread on SEO (Thank you very much for your posts), and it seems the "linking" aspect will be one of the key areas to focus on to improve rankings. But after reading that entire thread, I fear my bookmarks will be 5 pages long. :>

So to get this started...

If all one did was #1-3 (with #2 getting discussed the most I guess), is that 80-90% of the work involved?
Please bear in mind that I am a believer of "Seeking EXCELLENCE, not perfection".

Will my beliefs lead to a semi-successful site or to ruin?

Thanks in advance as always.

Termed

PS: I know The Cynic has another thread about creating a free site,
I am hoping this is a general discussion, not specific to one particular company/service.

PSS: If the mods feel this is a redundant thread , please feel free to delete.

Last edited by TermedPS; 07-03-2009 at 10:09 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-03-2009

Longevity: 89%

Hi
Yes you have mentioned the basic SEO techniques - One thing that I would advise you to pay particular attention to is your onsite optimization.

By onsite optimisation I refer to your <title>, meta keywords and description, Headings and keyword saturation. To get the most out of your backlinks and your seo then both onsite and offsite optimisation will need to work side by side. You will be surprised how much difference an optimised site title can make to your rankings.

I personnaly do my keyword research before writing any articles or optimising any pages. its very important you know what keywords you are targeting and what areas you will need to concetrate on more. Sometimes it only takes a little re-wording on yor page to take that number 1 slot.

There is an article which I would recommend you read regarding onsite optimisation. which can b found here Onsite optimisation | title | meta tags | headings | SEO | linking | Big Seo Techniques

I would also like to note that some things may work for some and not others - sometimes its all down to trial and error however the majority of the issues in SEO have been experimented by others so it is good to read up and educate yourself.
Old 07-07-2009
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 87%

Thanks for the reply Gremlin,

Question: Do flash websites rank as well as html websites now?

I recall when the whole flash thing started, google and other engines weren't ranking them as high.

You can see my level of ignorance now.

Thanks again.