Help making a new website! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 08-10-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default Help making a new website!

I want to make a new website that sells items. However I know nothing about making websites. Basically I want a website where customers could come to, pick a category and buy an item. I would like to have a shopping cart like most websites.

After the website gets set up I would like to use SEO to drive traffic to it. I am VERY NEW to building websites and SEO. So may someone please explain to me in baby talk, how I would be able to do this?

Also once I have my website set up.. How would I drive traffic to it with SEO? I heard backlinks were good.. What are backlinks? Does anyone have an eBook for dummies or something that would help me out?

Thanks in advance.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Best thing to do is try free open source shopping carts. Some good ones:

Prestashop
oscommerce
cubecart

These are easy to use. But nothing is going to be point and shoot I'm afraid to say. You will need to do some learning.

And as for traffic, its not as simple as putting up a site and getting sales. It takes months to get traffic. And don't expect traffic on the level you get with eBay. Not going to happen.

SEO is not hard. But if you are selling a product sold by 100s of sites you have a tuff battle on your hands.

But it is worth it for sure. But you wont replace ebay. But it is nice to have your own site
Old 08-10-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 80%

What do I do with these shopping carts? How do I make them with website? I'm just looking for little traffic to pay bills

thx
Old 08-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

You need to buy a domain name and hosting
You need to upload the cart software to your hosting
You need to setup the shopping cart
You need to add products
Old 08-11-2010

Longevity: 89%

What specific category of items are you looking to sell through this website?

How many websites have you got going pod?

Last edited by aspkin; 08-13-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spammmmm
Old 08-11-2010
Executive [VIP]

Right now 3. But specialized niche products. Traffic is very light.

When I had one of these sites more or less linked to an ebay account [Same items and name] my sales were 15x what they are now. Traffic is not easy. Google can help lots if you are willing to pay a ton in fees....
Old 08-12-2010

What's your traffic like now?

Why not keep all your customers on a mailing list driving them to your site that way after they've successfully dealt with you on ebay?

Last edited by aspkin; 08-13-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spammmmm
Old 08-12-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsam View Post
What's your traffic like now?
Very light. But not a great example. The products are very niche and not high volume. And summer is always 1/4 of normal sales at best

But without paying adwords for traffic is just not easy to get. The web is just so massive and if you dont do adwords, the 300 sites that do will get listed better

Great SEO is important, but its not enough. I've ran a few tests with adwords on/off and the difference is blinding. But its expensive. I was paying a min of $500 a month to get decent results.
Old 08-12-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Why not keep all your customers on a mailing list driving them to your site that way after they've successfully dealt with you on ebay?
You can get some sales. But to be honest, nobody likes spam. Any site that sends me weekly deals or whatever get blocked pretty fast
Old 08-12-2010

There was a right way doing it. Let me see if I can find it...

And yeah, adwords is expensive, I see a lot of sites that can't be making back their adwords budget.

Hey, you could place an ad in ebay classifieds and let us know how how successful it is.

The bottom line is you have to be covert in directing traffic to your site from auctions. So you can include your email address telling people to email you and set up your email to auto respond with site details.

The best idea you had was where the user name matched the website, I suspect you get through more user names that websites though.

Last edited by aspkin; 08-13-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spammmmm
Old 08-12-2010
Executive [VIP]

I had one site, and I kid you not, send me 3 emails a day after purchase. In one week I had over 20 "specials" spam from them. And this is a huge respected outfit. How they could possibly think that was ok is beyond me.
Old 08-12-2010

I think some is to be expected from most sites, but over 20 in a week is way excessive.
Old 08-13-2010

Hi

Pod - I think i should be able to help you out with your SEO - Shoot me a PM and lets talk - You wont regret it I promise :-) - Im not against adwords but can certainly assure you that organic traffic has a higher click through rate and is much more cost effective so your ROI will be much higher.

The Don

Having a website is crucial -and having a website which is user friendly is just as important - so if you are selling products then go with a shopping cart as you have noted -

Im not sure if any members can remember but when i started out with my own site selling electrical appliances i built it in MS publisher and used google buy now buttons - it wasnt a good idea - still sold products but the seo benefits of a CMS system is absolutely great -

You never need to worry about your internal linking structure and the site architecture.

Driving traffic to your website is also very important and you should think about this while you are building the site -

do your keyword research first then optimise your pages accordingly - to start off with i would suggest optimising each page for no more then 4 keywords then when you start to see results it will be much easier to add and increase the keywords your page ranks for.

You should also work on your category pages and optimise for other keywords too.

I must say that learning how to work with shopping carts isnt the easiest task - If you have a couple of hundred to spare then I would suggest you outsource the task as it will allow you to concentrate on other areas - but then again if your like me then no matter how long it will take you will do it yourself :-)

I can remember when i just started out with zencart - It took me 3 days to align my header image - now i can build sites in a couple of hours - that is a standard site without any additional modules.

If you have the time then do it yourself - not only will you appreciate your site much more and be able to make changes on the fly - but you will also gain a valuable skill

if you would like me to speak to me regarding shopping cart designs and setups then feel free to PM me - Im sure we can work something out
The Following User Says Thank You to GREMLIN For This Useful Post:
pod (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanks for the offer gremlin, but I'm fluid in SEO. Even the best SEO isnt magic when competing with the open market today. But again, I greatly appreciate the offer!

Cheers
Old 08-13-2010

Where did you learn SEO?
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

From experience running my own sites, tons of info on the web, and of coarse, the hard way

The basic principals are simple once you get a feel for it. Its not some elusive magic trick that's hard to understand. And the rules change all the time too, so best to be sure information you are using is current

Google adsense tracking information and charts are great for watching visitor stats on your site. Its free.

Results are not overnight but they will creep up as time goes on. Lots of factors in play that are not set by any rules. Mainly your target demographic and the products you sell. These are two things that really can only be determined by the person that runs the site in my opinion. Not saying farming it out is a bad thing. But its just like anything else. The better you understand something the better you can make it work for you. So anything involved with online commerce you should learn as best as you can so you have more control.
Old 08-13-2010

Do you have to work daily on SEO? Does it pay off with the revenue from the site or are you still working on it?

I'm familiar with the basics of SEO, is it something you have to work on daily or almost daily to avoid getting shafted in the rankings because competition is so hot on the internet today.

Last edited by aspkin; 08-13-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: double posts...
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It simply means having the content of your site get the best results possible when people search at google, bing, etc. Keyword use, sitemaps, image tags, etc. There are also meta tags and such involved. And a few tweaks here and there.

You can get a real good leg up with just a couple days on the internet doing some research. Lots of info out there for free. Most will have it narrowed down to 6-10 main areas or so. Once you get the key ares shored up, then you can tweak stuff here and there. But its not a daily chore, no

As far as cost. Its free. You do it yourself. Its just how your site is set up and the info in it. Nothing more

But you can pay google a fee to get your results higher on keywords you pick. And they charge you every time someone clicks on that search result to you. It can add up for sure. But the results sometimes are really worth it. But thats something each site owner needs to determine

But google has tons a free tools to help you analyze and help you select keywords, etc.

Good SEO is not that hard. But its not instant either

Last edited by pod; 08-13-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
is it something you have to work on daily or almost daily to avoid getting shafted in the rankings because competition is so hot on the internet today.
No, its not something that changes up every day that you need to stay on top of because your competition is playing games and beating you.

Short of:
You can pay more then them on keywords
You can use their name and keywords

But its not like being 5th result down is going to kill you against some one who is 4th down... Its about staying on the 1st page. The higher the better, sure. But a few spots are not going to kill you

And if you are selling a product thats impossible to get listed on the first couple pages because there is so much competition, maybe not a great product to sell...

EDIT: One thing to look for too: Whatever software you are using for the site, check their forum for any experienced posts on SEO. I found a couple tweaks I needed to make in my database sql in the forum that actually jumped me up a nice bit in a short time. 15% jump in hits. Just a coding error in sitemap generation or something. Cant recall what it was. But tips from the software users is always helpful.

Last edited by pod; 08-13-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2010

Longevity: 81%

anyone know of good people who make e-commerce websites? best deals?
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Have you tried some of the free shopping carts out there? They are pretty easy to use. You can use WampServer [also free] and setup the site and play around offline on your pc to get a feel and customize, etc before uploading to net. Unless you also want to pay someone to manage the site you will need to learn some stuff anyway
Old 08-16-2010

i'll be happy to design you a site on zencart - I would be happy to do it for $200 - however the graphics should be provided by you - or $250 with graphics -

I will customize a standard zencart template to your needs - Or if you find a template you like i will install it -

I will set up your store to work with paypal - authorize.net or google checkout -

I will setup your categories and do basic seo

I will set up your shipping modules

I will setup a automatic google base feeder

I will add extra modules as to your requirements

I will add the security patches

Take a look at a few examples

appliancesforyou.co.uk
zainabscollection.com
ravsappliances.com

I would normally charge much more but im happy to work with the forum members who are new and help as i can - I will also teach you how to add new categories - add products - send emails to your users - add specials - add featured items etc

I will provide video tutorials for this - If you interested I can have a completed site by the end of the week

Thanks