Use of a VPS - Alternative to VPN (personal comments) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default Use of a VPS - Alternative to VPN (personal comments)

Okay, I answered a question in another thread, and a couple of people found it quite useful. So I thought I'd make a post here so all can see...

Now, I hear a lot of people asking about VPN's etc. I also hear lots about VPN's not working well. (ie. unable to log in, accounts getting suspended because ebay clocked on about you using VPN)

Is there an alternative to VPN?

Basically, yes there is. Its a method I use, and has been working well for me for months. The alternative to VPN is use of a VPS. If you don't know what a VPS is, its basically a remote computer/desktop that you can connect to via RDC. For more detailed info on what a VPS is, and how it works, go here:

Virtual private server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why use a VPS instead of VPN?

Well, in all honesty this is the method I prefer to use. The reason being is I get remote access to a remote desktop. Therefore I can log in to ebay/paypal without any problems.

Each stealth account I use a different VPS account. I get mine for £3/m each. Very cheap. You hardly get any space/bandwidth. But who needs it if you're only using them to post on ebay etc.

Why is this different from VPN?

Because with a VPN, this is in theory a proxy server. Ebay has good ways of spotting proxies and VPN usage. With a VPS you are basically browsing ebay as you would your own computer, and you appear to ebay as a normal user with a normal IP.

How do you know if this works?

Well I know this works because I have been using this method for months now.

What are the benefits?

Basically the same benefits as a VPN really. However, I believe you'll have a much lower suspension rate with your stealth accounts.

Where can I get a VPS?

Anywhere really. If you go to google and search "VPS Host", you'll find many results. You can also search for "Offshore VPS Host", "UK VPS Host", US VPS Host" and you'll find many companies offering VPS's.

Some are expensive, some are cheap. Just do a little a digging and you'll find one thats right for you. The only downfall is that you'll need a different VPS account for each stealth account. Now if you find the right VPS, this shouldnt be too costly.

I must also stress that the principles of keeping your stealth account "in stealth mode" are the same as that of using a VPN. The VPS host has to have a country IP that matches the country of the stealth account. Ie - If you have a US stealth account, you need a US VPS. UK stealth account, you need a UK VPS.

I have a gut feeling that some people may disagree with me here, but this works for me, and I thought I'd share.

If you use your brain, you can use your VPS for more than just stealthing ebay

I Hope you all find this useful in some way

Turbo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbo For This Useful Post:
oompaloompa (09-05-2010), robbob (09-07-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

turbo,

Moved thread to subscribers area. Let's have a discussion on its merits or otherwise. It's not to be a slinging match.

From my pov, usage of this will be dependent on a user's knowledge. Some will not be able to create a working system as you outlined There are still just as viable alternatives simpler to use.
Old 08-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Well written post nonetheless - i don't know if it's all correct but it's well thought out
Old 09-05-2010
Banned

Longevity: 82%

good thread. In China ,lots of US EBAY accounts we bought from forum are suspended .VPN maybe cant work well . we will try to use VPS. Is it possible for you to introduce one good US VPS to me ?
Old 09-05-2010
Threadstarter  

There are plenty of vps hosts if you just run the search through google

Google

Do your research and find what's best for you.

Last edited by turbo; 09-05-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Hmmm.... This COULD be valuable.

Does anyone know if this would work with Amazon?

Also, I looked at a few providers here in the US, and some seem better than others in terms of how the systems are configured. I really like the tought of a Dedicated IP. A little more expensive, but I think it would be worth it IF this actually will work.

I'll try to dig a little deeper. In the meantime, has anyone else had experience with this?
Old 09-05-2010
Threadstarter  

Well I've used it successfully for ebay and paypal. So Im pretty confident it would work for amazon.
Old 09-05-2010

why would you use vps if mobile broadband is much cheaper and works just fine?
also with vps you have Static IP that can be shared and who knows maybe somebody else from aspkin following your advise sharing the same ip with you right now logging into his stealth account
Old 09-06-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob View Post
why would you use vps if mobile broadband is much cheaper and works just fine?
also with vps you have Static IP that can be shared and who knows maybe somebody else from aspkin following your advise sharing the same ip with you right now logging into his stealth account
What if the person has a US stealth accounts, but lives in the UK, just like I do? US mobile broadband would cost me a bomb, and therefore a VPS would be a cheaper option

If I was going to use UK IP's, I'd just spoof my routers MAC address to gain a new IP

I also have to disagree with your other point, because if you get a Dedicated IP, then its your own. And what are the odds of someone else, buying an account with the same VPS host, located on the same server with same IP range. Very Very slim. And not many people use this method, so again, the odds are very very slim.

There are thousands of VPS hosts out there, each with hundreds, maybe thousands of IP/servers. You do the math.

Last edited by turbo; 09-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Hmmm.... This COULD be valuable.

Does anyone know if this would work with Amazon?

Also, I looked at a few providers here in the US, and some seem better than others in terms of how the systems are configured. I really like the tought of a Dedicated IP. A little more expensive, but I think it would be worth it IF this actually will work.

I'll try to dig a little deeper. In the meantime, has anyone else had experience with this?
The issue is to be successfully stealth. Think about that VERY carefully
Old 09-07-2010

i was actually thinking about using my vps for stealth accounts as well. the only problem is you have yo use one vps per account and once you burn it you have to move as you have Static IP while with mobile broadband you just hang up and connect again and log into another account from the same computer, just clean the cookies or even better use another browser.
also the cheapest uk windows vps i could find is about $20 pm
Old 09-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob View Post
i was actually thinking about using my vps for stealth accounts as well. the only problem is you have yo use one vps per account and once you burn it you have to move as you have Static IP while with mobile broadband you just hang up and connect again and log into another account from the same computer, just clean the cookies or even better use another browser.
also the cheapest uk windows vps i could find is about $20 pm
$20/m? You're not looking hard enough

Like I said, if this doesnt work for you, dont use the method. The reason I use this method is because I have US accounts also. So therefore I need a US IP. Rather than use VPN, which gets me limited, I use VPS, with success.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Useful Post:
aspkin (09-09-2010)
Old 09-08-2010

Longevity: 80%

very interesting for those who wish to broaden their horizons
Old 09-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

Here is one that is only $7.95 a month.

Cheap VPS Hosting at VPSLink.com
Old 09-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Here is MY simple advice to people:

If you don't know how to use or SETUP a vps, then you might as well forget using on for ebay or paypal.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
aspkin (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
$20/m? You're not looking hard enough

Like I said, if this doesnt work for you, dont use the method. The reason I use this method is because I have US accounts also. So therefore I need a US IP. Rather than use VPN, which gets me limited, I use VPS, with success.
what if one lives in usa but has a canadian ebay/paypal account, is there a vps to get canadian ip?
Old 09-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody999 View Post
what if one lives in usa but has a canadian ebay/paypal account, is there a vps to get canadian ip?
Look, NO one is going to spoon feed you the information. Go research yourself. Come back to this forum after to have done so.

The answer to the question is very simple as long as you research. Like slapped and all the forum members say, RESEARCH, RESEARCH & RESEARCH!

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody999 View Post
Google is your friend.

Just type Canadian VPS Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody999
Here is MY simple advice to people:

If you don't know how to use or SETUP a vps, then you might as well forget using on for ebay or paypal.
Most VPS hosts have already set these up for you. All you need to do is remotely log on to it, and open the browser and away you go
Old 09-11-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

wonder if ips are recycled from previous cancelled user....
Old 10-06-2010

Longevity: 82%

anyone using daily nodes with dedicated private ips. instead of monthy plans with 3 - 5 vps that come with an ip each?

usually $1 per node per day, it seems. For acct you know u will turn n burn.
Old 01-19-2011

Longevity: 76%
Default Hi Greenbean!!

I live in thailand have been using vpn with success, as my paypals (1 thai 1 aussie) were verified.. I used to have ebay call my mobile everytime i wanted to list (this was only because i originally created this account in aust), until i talked to the operator and she put my computer on the safe list and didnt have problems.. my extra ebay accounts neva had a problem to sell until i got vero like 6 times on 3 accounts sheesh and then all got linked thanks to jpegbay and my lack of knowlege. and lost all my accounts. so im just wondering since your aussie too and i live in thailand do you have any alternatives to vpn? so i dont get watched too closly on my new stealth aussie accounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
turbo,

Moved thread to subscribers area. Let's have a discussion on its merits or otherwise. It's not to be a slinging match.

From my pov, usage of this will be dependent on a user's knowledge. Some will not be able to create a working system as you outlined There are still just as viable alternatives simpler to use.
Old 01-22-2011

Longevity: 76%

Think I found the easiest decription of how to use VPS. May be it could be usefull for new user. It's not mine but it is work.

What you need?
1. Any VPS account. The only thing you should be shure - the compnies servers are located in the country and city you need. Many of hosters are re-sellers, so bying the VPS from Russian company you will have Us-io adress.
So, you have to be shure that the server you irder is located in the area you really need. Just ask a suppor prior to pay money.
2. Any ssh-tunnel software. I use plink. You can download it directly from the official site
3. Firefox browser. U can you Explorer, but from my experience Firefox is much more better.

What we need to do

1. Plink settings
Create file "Plink.bat". You can do it in note book (just save it as 'bat' file, not 'txt'). The file should contain the next text:

plink -ssh ssh_server_adress -C -N -l login -pw password -D 127.0.0.1:8081
pause

ssh_server_adress - your server adress
login - your login
passwor - your pasword
You willl get this parameters feom your VPS provider.

Copy plink.bat to the same folder plink exe is loccated. Thats all Just double click plink.bat and you will see (if you did everething right)

Press y and enter.
Thats all, ssh-tinnel is created, if you missed password or login you will see the mistake

!!!!! Don't close this window until you are in the in the internet!!!!!

2. Firefox settings

Go to "tools -> options -> advanced -> network -> settings"
- Choose manual proxy configuration
- Choose socks 5
- Write "socks host" = 127.0.0.1, "port" = 8081
Others rows save empty.

3. Check your IP
You can use IPBurger.com, but i reccomended http://fastproxyservers.org/show-my-ip - it provide more information about your IP and your locations.
If all is right you will see your ssh server IP, instead of your.

p.s. The great advantage of this method - you will be unable to connect the internet if anything is not right. You'll see a mistake message form firefox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (14.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by vadimr86; 01-22-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Closed Thread