Business accounts - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default Business accounts

Ok, so my usual MO is to open an EB or PP account, list sparingly until an account gains trust, then proceed as normal. In this way I've been avoiding any 21-day holds or MC999s etc and having loads of joy.

Recently I've found that any account, every payment is 'Payment received, send now' 21 day hold nonsense. I hate these holds, I think they're terribly unfair - the seller can end up without the item, without the money and down on postage and packaging if the account is limited! There's no real problem other than cash flow but I do have a question.

In more experienced member's opinions, is this likely due to a change in EB OR PP policy or is it something I'm doing wrong?

I have one theory: I've recently switched two of my mobile broadband dongles from O2 to EE. I've read that EE have a much more narrow pool of IP addresses. Is it a potential linking problem?

Failing that, is there something else I'm missing? All accounts are verified, confirmed cards, linked to PP, some browsing and bidding history and <£5 end price on the items as a rule.

I am open to PMs of advice of people feel it's not for public consumption!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 71%
Default Re: Business accounts

Holds can be placed on accounts at any time regardless of the age or previous usage.

As your sales increase then the likelihood of holds being applied increases, this also applies to the type of item you are selling.

Both e/b and p/p monitor for changes in selling habits if changes are detected that trigger their preset risk analysis parameters then the holds will automatically kick in.

You just have to work with them until you prove that you are no longer a potential risk.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

Yeah, I'm familiar with the principles and totally agree with and comply with the practice. I guess my questions are:

1) Has anyone else noticed that accounts they'd normally expect no holds on (ie, Business accounts) are, in the last 2/3/4 months, getting holds? (To the extent that you can expect or predict anything with EB and PP).

2) I'm aware I'm flirting with topics that normally make more experienced stealthers clam up, and I'm wondering if EB have realised there was a loophole and shut it or am I needing to look at my methods. So; experienced stealthers: Is it

A) they've shut the loophole, deal with it.
Or
B) there's still a way to avoid holds on new accounts.

3) Are UK stealthers able to sell on any new account and avoid 21-day holds on thee first few items?
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Most new accounts now will always get the new 21 days hold.

You can usually get your money a lot faster than 21 days though.

Methods do do this -

1 - Seller prints tracking label on eBay, or uses another carrier that provides tracking information, then manually enters postage tracking information on eBay - Funds held for estimated delivery date + 3 days

2 - Seller indicates when the item has been dispatched in My eBay - Funds held for estimated delivery date + 7 days

3 - Seller doesn't upload any information or mark item as dispatched - Funds held for 21 days
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
sax4 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghmeypong View Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with the principles and totally agree with and comply with the practice. I guess my questions are:

1) Has anyone else noticed that accounts they'd normally expect no holds on (ie, Business accounts) are, in the last 2/3/4 months, getting holds? (To the extent that you can expect or predict anything with EB and PP).

2) I'm aware I'm flirting with topics that normally make more experienced stealthers clam up, and I'm wondering if EB have realised there was a loophole and shut it or am I needing to look at my methods. So; experienced stealthers: Is it

A) they've shut the loophole, deal with it.
Or
B) there's still a way to avoid holds on new accounts.

3) Are UK stealthers able to sell on any new account and avoid 21-day holds on thee first few items?
No account, including business are exempt from holds.

There are no loopholes to speak of, it's all based on their risk assessment algorithms and automatically applied to accounts that pose a potential 'risk'

As for method, do as James has suggested re tracking etc. that is what builds trust. Make your dealings with customers as transparent as possible and give p/p as little cause for concern as possible.

As said before, holds can be applied at any time.

TBH I think your trying to look to deeply at the situation for something that is not actually there.

This has been p/p's way for a long time now, you just need to work with it until such times as your account poses no risk in their eyes.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

Yep, I'm good with all of that. Cheers. Like I say, it's about cash flow and knowing I actually will be paid for items. I get awful jumpy with new accounts, even if it's just a few pounds.

From your sentence: MOST new accounts will get holds..... etc. Does that mean that some of your accounts don't?

I know it's a sensitive subject so appreciate all inputs.
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

It's not really a sensitive subject, just one that can't be predicted or avoided.

p/p impose holds based on risk assessment, that's the long and short of it.

You may get holds from day one on a new account or never or at any time during it's lifetime.

There is no big secret as to how to avoid them.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

I suspect I am looking at it too deeply, I often do.

EB and especially PP get in my head. I go to bed thinking about it sometimes. I wake up and check my emails straight away expecting limitations.
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

I have had one or two that have not had them but that is a very small % of accounts I have created.

At the end of the day if you post your item first class tracked the holds will be released within a week. Its a simple case of building your business plan to take that into account. Its a lot better than the old 21 days hold when we actually had to wait 21 days.
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

EB and especially PP get in my head. I go to bed thinking about it sometimes. I wake up and check my emails straight away expecting limitations.
I'd look for a new career if it got to me like that.

If your accounts are well set up, well run and your not crossing the line then you have nothing to worry about, do you?

Paranoia towards e/b and p/p has led many people to their downfall.

Don't look for problems that are not there.

If you do then you might be tempted to change things on the account unnecessarily and that's when you do run into trouble.
Old 02-14-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:

No need for this.

Have multiple accounts up, running and growing so if one does go down you have a line up of back ups to rely on.

Also re think what you are doing. If you are getting limited over and over then you are doing something very wrong.

Also I have to fix an issue that seems to be posted almost daily.

Some reason people are under the assumption that if you make a business account with paypal that you will not get holds.

This is not the case at all. All new accounts with some very rare exceptions get holds.

And I never see a 21 day hold ever and I run several new accounts a week and usually the money released in 2-3 business days after buyer has received the item. Ship fast and money will be released.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

No, I'm not getting limited over and over and I do have loads of accounts up and running. 15ish currently in use as main sellers and 50ish gaining browsing, bidding and buying history. I just worry! I don't make reactionary changes or make panicky mistakes.

I certainly used to make business accounts and they wouldn't get holds, up until a few months ago. Perhaps my method has slipped below the acceptable risk parameters for EB and PP and I need to make them more trustworthy before listing.
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

If you have experience of making 65 stealth accounts then I doubt your methodology of creating them is faulty if they are all still active.

p/p holds have been around in this format for almost two years now so I'm surprised you haven't encountered them sooner with so many accounts on the go.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

Yeah guess I've been lucky up to now.

I really want to say thanks! I always feel better after checking in here.

Just need some tough love and a bit of reassurance every now and again!

I guess I need to now have a couple of hundred pounds PER ACCOUNT reserved for cash flow, then holds won't be a problem.

Cheers guys.
Old 02-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Not sure how cash flow can be an issue with 15 active selling accounts unless you've all of a sudden got holds on every single one.

If that's the case then you may have a potential issue with the items you are selling, that is possibly what p/p is viewing as the risk.

every change in selling habits raises a red flag.
Old 02-14-2014
peghmeypong

I like each account to have cash flow, not just me generally. Its only an issue at the start when the first few items are held.
Old 02-15-2014
peghmeypong

Got my first instantly available payment in months (on a new account). Weird coincidence.
Old 02-17-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,041 Times in 775 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
No need for this.

Have multiple accounts up, running and growing so if one does go down you have a line up of back ups to rely on.

Also re think what you are doing. If you are getting limited over and over then you are doing something very wrong.

Also I have to fix an issue that seems to be posted almost daily.

Some reason people are under the assumption that if you make a business account with paypal that you will not get holds.

This is not the case at all. All new accounts with some very rare exceptions get holds.

And I never see a 21 day hold ever and I run several new accounts a week and usually the money released in 2-3 business days after buyer has received the item. Ship fast and money will be released.
I take it you always ship with tracking to get it released that quick?
Old 02-17-2014

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax4 View Post
I take it you always ship with tracking to get it released that quick?
I don't ship with tracking and my funds become available within 2-3 days, that's on all my accounts
Old 02-17-2014
Executive [VIP]

Someone told me instant payments come 60 days after your 1st Ebay feedback. I cannot confirm this as I have not tried it myself.

Also I know that it's more common to get instant payments for overseas sales than domestic
Old 02-17-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavey10 View Post
I don't ship with tracking and my funds become available within 2-3 days, that's on all my accounts
Ok, I suppose the rule is to always mark as dispatched?
Old 02-17-2014

Longevity: 77%

Yes I always mark as dispatched. Usually once you receive more than a few feedback all the funds become available quicker even if the account is newer. Thats just my findings though.

I don't do much on eBay anymore though.