Bizarre situation - Must be a scam, right? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 11-23-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 58%
Default Bizarre situation - Must be a scam, right?

Ok, so the weirdest thing just happened to me and I need some help. I was reading through some eBay related posts on Reddit and I came across some guy complaining about his account being suspended. A random person comments that they can help the OP remove the restriction on their account, gives her email address so and says to email her. Mostly out of curiosity, but of course also from a slight tinge of hope (I'm human, cut me some slack), I emailed her even though the post was about two months old.

All I say is that I saw her post on reddit, that my account had been indefinitely restricted from selling in a only one category, and then ask what kind of aid she's offering? She emails me back asking what my username is and if it's attached to this email address. Before I can respond, she sends another email stating 100% accurately the following:

My username
My address
My phone number
Confirmation (obviously) that this email address is attached to my restricted account
AND she knows the month and year that my account was restricted.

Then she follows up with this:
As you are already aware. The restriction on your account cannot be removed. Your account is currently restricted indefinitely. And I'm only giving excemption. eBay management are not aware of this. As a policy manager I can do anything on your account. Even selling limits can be increased as much as you want. Let me know if you are accepting this oppotunity. The payment will be monthly basis so you will be assured about your account.

So I ask her to send me either an email from her eBay employee address or a message in eBay. She responds:

They can detect us if I do so, if you want a solid proof. I can remove the restriction on your account and check if you can list your video games. I will be increasing the limits too. 100 in quantity and 1000$ in the allowance. What do you think?

Of course she wants money, and of course through Western Union. Scam or not, she's understandably not doing it for free as a favor to a stranger. I clarified her offer to increase the limits and she says that she meant that the 100 and $1000 would be added on to my current limits. Not sure if it's ever done that way.

Regardless, this is bleeping bizarre. Has anyone experienced this or know someone who has? I'm guessing that she somehow got into eBay's system and is just easily pulling information. If that's the case, I'm assuming that she's going to take the payments until eBay catches on and then bail.

So unless she can offer proof significantly more solid than what she already has, I'm not touching this with a stick. Ha, she just told me that she charges $450 up front and $300 per month. Even if she was legit, that's not happening.

So I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-23-2014

Activity: 28%
Default Re: Bizarre situation - Must be a scam, right?

A general rule of thumb is anything like this your playing with fire. Criminals are smart. The internet is flooded with people who take advantage of situations like this. I read the entire post and yes I understand your "hope" but this is EXACTLY what they bank off of.

Just be perpared for the worst in these circumstances. I'm sure most people here will agree with me. Even buying on this forum involves a percentage of risk. When ever your buying from strangers you must be cautious. Yes there are good people out there but honestly majority of people outside this forum offering services like that are typically up to no good. Here we can at least leave feedback, everything is monitered etc etc ..so its MUCH more safe.

I've gotten plenty "offers" from new members.. I'm sure they got banned shortly after. Fillter EVERYTHING you see threw this quote,
"if its too good to be true, typically it is"

Last edited by solefoodbk; 11-23-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Most likely a scam. Id avoid it at all costs.
Old 11-23-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It may be a scam, or it may be a real eBay employee that does this sort of thing for money. Either way, do you want to travel down this road? Wouldn't it just be easier to create a few more accounts?

Because, even if she is 100% a real eBay employee and can do this, if she gets caught all of the accounts she is doing this for are toast. And they COULD even open up a criminal investigation into the whole matter, since it amounts to bribing an eBay employee to act in a manner contrary to company policy. It might be a bit far-fetched, but it COULD happen.

I would stay away from it, attractive as the offer may be.

Edited to Add: Slimjim, I LOVE Your Avatar!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
ovidiu (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014

It's a scam, you can do so much with the information you'd be providing.
Old 11-23-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 76%

Best case scenario is what jeff said. She is an employee, gets caught and every account falls. You spend tons of money for nothing. Hell, you still have to deal with PP to get your money. She has no power there. She only claims to be an EB employee.

Second, she blasted her sh.t all over the internet, out in the open. Sounds like a pretty dumb@ss employee.

Lastly, she could easily prove she has access to your account by simply changing a setting or something silly like that. But, I'm guessing she claims she can't do sh.t without a ton of money first.
Old 11-23-2014
Threadstarter  

As I said, I'm not touching it. More and more I'm getting the impression that reading an entire post is an uncommon event...

I am genuinely curious how she got that info solely from having my email address (aside from actually being an eBay employee, which I seriously doubt). Anyone have any ideas? Creeps me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Second, she blasted her sh.t all over the internet, out in the open. Sounds like a pretty dumb@ss employee.
I absolutely agree with that. It lends more to the assumption that she's not actually an employee if she's pulling stuff like this.

The funniest part is that the primary thing that made me think she might actually be an eBay employee is the fact that her English is horrible. Sounds exactly like almost all of the people at eBay that I've talked to.

@jeffweico: Glad you recognize the iconic Spagetti Cat!
Old 11-24-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Sounds like a rogue employee. One way to know for sure is to have her do something to your account only an Ebay employee could do like remove the suspension from your account and/or raise your limits before you pay anything, as a sign of good faith. If they are truly an ebay employee they can always reverse this if you don't pay. Obviously you could not reverse the western union payment if they are not who they claim to be.

Corrupt Ebay employees can be useful for a period of time. Contrary to popular believe, them getting fired does not mean that your accounts will be toast either. Ebay can't always sort out their legit actions from their corrupt actions so it is usually only the accounts that they specifically catch the corruption on that get suspended. Also contrary to what Jeff said, there is no criminal action that can be taken against you. You are not bribing a public official or police officer.

But before you can do any business you have to negotiate better and one time fees. Those fees are crazy. Make sure the alleged Ebay employee knows that you are gonna be giving them ongoing business. Find the balance between worth it for you and worth it for them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Futuremogul888 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (11-24-2014), gonzoman (11-24-2014), ovidiu (11-24-2014), unkown5454 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014
Banned

Longevity: 65%

owweeee that's sounds like a nice hookup. But dam 450 n then 300 a month hell nah unless that 300guarantees no suspension. It doesn't sound like shes doing anything wrong per say I mean reps always have the ability to unlimit an account or up your listing limits. Unless your just scamming people on eby then I don't think it would be an issue for her to unlimit or up your listings...
Old 11-24-2014

Longevity: 59%

That is an intriguing story....seriously! Thanks for sharing it....
Old 11-24-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

They have raised the costs.

Must be inflation.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
ovidiu (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

can we get a donation pile together to front the $450 trial?
Old 11-24-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts

Ask to get the account unrestricted first before you send any money, she's asking monthly fees so if she can unrestrict the account I'm sure she can restrict it again if someone stops paying her

If it's legit than she would accept that and unrestrict the account first as a sign of good faith, if she says no than Don send a dime, once money is sent WU its gone

Let us know if you go thru with it

I'd never do this but if I didn't like to operate by spreading sales out and just had a few really big accounts I'd probably try it if they were willing to unrestrict the selling privlages first
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
ovidiu (11-24-2014), unkown5454 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Ask to get the account unrestricted first before you send any money, she's asking monthly fees so if she can unrestrict the account I'm sure she can restrict it again if someone stops paying her

If it's legit than she would accept that and unrestrict the account first as a sign of good faith, if she says no than Don send a dime, once money is sent WU its gone

Let us know if you go thru with it

I'd never do this but if I didn't like to operate by spreading sales out and just had a few really big accounts I'd probably try it if they were willing to unrestrict the selling privlages first
Hello I totaly agree with Dshark25 if she first does it then pay after but I would get the fees reduced there are alot of genuine insiders out there as I came across 1 like this but for another product which was 100% genuine but problem will be still with pp sides unless that is clean you get most of these insiders I find from india.
Old 11-24-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Always iffy with Western Union
Old 11-24-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaappeal View Post
can we get a donation pile together to front the $450 trial?
haha im feeln that... but dam too expensive man. gota drop the price some. maybe aspkin can get their services on the forum if its legit
Old 11-24-2014

Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
Sounds like a rogue employee. One way to know for sure is to have her do something to your account only an Ebay employee could do like remove the suspension from your account and/or raise your limits before you pay anything, as a sign of good faith. If they are truly an ebay employee they can always reverse this if you don't pay. Obviously you could not reverse the western union payment if they are not who they claim to be.

Corrupt Ebay employees can be useful for a period of time. Contrary to popular believe, them getting fired does not mean that your accounts will be toast either. Ebay can't always sort out their legit actions from their corrupt actions so it is usually only the accounts that they specifically catch the corruption on that get suspended. Also contrary to what Jeff said, there is no criminal action that can be taken against you. You are not bribing a public official or police officer.

But before you can do any business you have to negotiate better and one time fees. Those fees are crazy. Make sure the alleged Ebay employee knows that you are gonna be giving them ongoing business. Find the balance between worth it for you and worth it for them.
I agree, and if I may add OP:
In case you want to keep playing these games with her just to see what happens. I would tell her "I can only afford a one time payment for the first
three month, and then pay you $100 every month" If she agree with no hesitation i would say it is a scam. If she has that power in her hand she knows exactly what she can demand for it. if it is a scam she would take this one time payment and you'll never hear from her again. Just my theory. I might not know what I am saying.
Old 11-24-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

Can we get the reddit link?
Old 11-24-2014

Longevity: 83%

If it is an ebay employee, they would be able to get away with scamming you if they just took YOUR money and then never did anything to help you or your account. Then there is no way for ebay to find them and catch them EVER. They could just keep scamming people and never deliver AND keep their ebay job.
Old 11-24-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts

Yea but you only send money once the restrictions are lifted , if they refuse that than it most likely is a scam, because, if they are charging monthly than they are able to restrict and un-restrict accounts so by un-restricting it first is no risk to them and gives the buyer some trust
Old 11-24-2014
Banned

I got an account from 05 with 100 feedback I really wana try this on...
Old 11-24-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaappeal View Post
Can we get the reddit link?

what he said... I did quick google search but no find.