NOTICE: Paypal and Tax ID, don't be too late (EIN only) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 07-01-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 67%
Default NOTICE: Paypal and Tax ID, don't be too late (EIN only)

Hi guys,
Just gonna share some experience with Paypal for you guys. Every week, I'll be posting a different issue, with my personal experience and ideas from members around this forum.
The purpose of my topics is to summarize every problems with Paypal, eBay, to help you guys to be advised about some important problems with Paypal, how to deal with it, some tips and tricks (maybe ) and hope to receive new ideas from all of you.

So, this week's topic would be Tax ID issue and extreme notice if you're going to use EIN.

Paypal will ask you to provide Tax ID when you either reach:
20,000 USD received
or
200 sales

However, don't trust Paypal, they almost always ask before.
I remember I got the Tax ID email when my eBay only got $5,000 and around 120 sales.
So, act as soon as possible

Tax ID can be:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your Employer Identification Number (EIN)

SSN and ITIN will not be mentioned here as they're not good for more than 1 stealth account.

So EIN, you'll need to order EIN from IRS with your information and SSN. You can also ask for help from friend, family, ...
And when you get an EIN, you'll need to upgrade your Paypal to business, and the business name must be match with the EIN's information (First and Last name). It's very important. In my experience, address doesn't matter. Just the name.
Type of business can be Individual / Sole Proprietor or LLC.
EIN format is XX-XXXXXXX (numberic only)

From what I've learned, whenever you receive this email:
Quote:
Please submit Tax ID information for your PayPal account
Now your account is actually limited. From now, you cannot close you account, but everything else is still OK, you are sill about to receive money, withdraw, send money, ... You might have no idea about the limitation but it actually limited.

The next level is when you receive this email:
Quote:
Your account access has been limited. Please submit your Tax ID number to restore access.
Now you cannot receive money, this means you cannot add this Paypal to eBay listing and cannot receive money, but still able withdraw, send money, add bank,... After withdraw all of the balance, this Paypal is useless, why?

Please keep in mind that you'll have to upgrade to Business Account if you wanna use EIN. It's not a problem if your Paypal hasn't received any Tax ID requirement notice (above emails). But, if you already received either above emails, you will not be able to upgrade to Business Account, because your account is actually limited.
Stupid Paypal will make a dump loop like this:
Ask for Tax ID -> Provide Now -> Select EIN option -> Ask to upgrade to Business in order to use EIN -> You cannot upgrade to Business because your account is limited, please go to Resolution Center -> Nowhere...

So, sorry for my long writing, but generally, if you wanna use EIN, add it as soon as possible! And if you get those email, you're basically too late!

Bonus tips: How to get EIN easier? Don't order it from IRS website, order it from other agencies and some of them will let you pay by Paypal, easy for you guys then

Please give me an advice if I posted any incorrect information. I'll update it and credited your username.

Please also discuss more about this problem here.

Also don't hesitate to make questions, I and other members will answer as much as we can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to himaster For This Useful Post:
ebaysuck (07-08-2015), nickh04 (07-03-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-02-2015

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: NOTICE: Paypal and Tax ID, don't be too late (EIN only)

I came across this problem within last couple days. First I received notice at about 100-120 transactions and $3000 gross. I was expecting it, so I would upgrade to EIN. However the case was that I couldnt upgrade to Business Account through the site. So, what I did was I called PP and asked for my account to be upgraded to business and the guy went on: "Well, you created your account as Personal and we can request SSN information anytime we want" I went on saying that it would be very inconvenient for me to add SSN as this is a business account and was meant to be like that since the beginning. I said that they shouldnt even ask for SSN before their projections of 200 transactions and 20,000 sales as stated on their site (I know they dont follow it). Anyway, I was insisting for him to do something about it and he said "OK, I will try to upgrading the account to Business" and I gave him bogus EIN (as I have just applied for mine and it will take a week or so to receive) but I had done this process (attaching bogus EIN for some time). And in few seconds he told me the account was now Business. So, I went on and filled the information out until the last page which was reading something about "Patriotic Act". And as I read somewhere here to just open few new tabs and just type paypal dot com to bypass it; it didnt work like that and I received account limitation asking for more info "Photo ID" "Utility Bill". But anyway even before I could see my account limited I had to fill out the information in that "Patriotic Act" page. All the info was made up but it still passed. Right now I am just working out on getting those docs to further supply them to see what happens.
Old 07-03-2015

Longevity: 53%

So we should upgrade to a business Paypal first? I'm very close to receiving the email so I need to get on this EIN stuff.
Old 07-03-2015

The thing is regardless you put EIN before or after the limitation it will still prompt you to enter SSN number and as I have found someone said that you just need to keep opening new tabs and writing paypal dot com until you get an access to your account but it wasnt the case for me in many instances.

So, it appears there is no guaranteed work around this matter as of now.
Old 07-03-2015

Dont make post titles like this one makes people want to "ebay" you
Old 07-04-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh04 View Post
So we should upgrade to a business Paypal first? I'm very close to receiving the email so I need to get on this EIN stuff.
yep you should do it asap
Old 07-04-2015

Longevity: 68%

i got the email today my account has been active for 3 years. this sucks
Old 07-04-2015
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%

this has got to be a glitch... there has to be a way around it or even hopefully for them to fix this?
Old 07-04-2015

Longevity: 66%
Send a message via AIM to pre111 Send a message via Yahoo to pre111 Send a message via Skype™ to pre111

Well this happened to me about 6 months ago. And i did not upgrade to a business account. My account was to be limited in the next 30 days So i was able to find a work around. Now i know i am going to get a lot of crap for what i am going to post here but when you have 5,000 in funds that you may not be able to get your hands on i guess you will do what you have to do.

I was able to take my stealth paypal account and create a ssn for it. All paypal does to verify the ssn you use is to

1. make sure the ssn number you enter matches the state

2. date of issue matches the birth year that is on the paypal account you created.

Works like a charm. Now please note this will NOT work with the paypal 4 digit to verify your phone number. This only works if paypal is asking for you to add your ssn before limiting your account.

Now one other thing i was able to do was to check the ssn to see if the person is alive or deceased. This took the most time to do. But i felt using a deceased person was better then using someone that was alive.

After i withdrew all my money i never used that paypal account again. But it has been over six months since i had done this and that paypal account is still up and running with no messages from paypal about the ssn not being correct.

This post is just here in case you have no other option to get your money.
Old 07-08-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

I just went to upgrade my stealth PayPal acct to a business acct with the EIN that I got and after I entered the address and type of business info, it asked for the last 4 of my SSN and DOB. This is a stealth acct, I have no valid SSN. Is there something I can do?
Old 07-08-2015

^ From what I just read, keep opening a new tab and type in www.paypal.com until you get passed this small glitch.
Old 07-08-2015

Any updates on this issue ? I have same thing limited paypal and asked for tax id. I have EIN ready but will it help me ?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I want to point something out about the TAX-ID verification process.

You can get ONE EIN as an individual or sole proprietor. You can also get as many EIN's as you want for corporations or multi-member LLC's.

When you give this information to PayPal (or ANY payment processor) they send that information to the IRS for verification. Specifically, if you entered an SSN or an EIN as a sole proprietorship, they will send YOUR NAME (on the account) and the SSN or EIN and the IRS returns a response code of MATCH or NO MATCH.

If you enter the EIN as a CORPORATION OR LLC, they will send the BUSINESS NAME and EIN to the IRS for verification and again the IRS returns a response code of MATCH or NO MATCH.

In the case of YOUR NAME, it must match exactly what is on your social security card. In the case of a BUSINESS NAME, it must match IRS records EXACTLY as shown on the letter (or PDF) that you get from the IRS. Otherwise, it comes back as NO MATCH. The IRS WILL NOT correct any data or provide ANY other response besides MATCH or NO MATCH.

I am not sure if what pre111 posted is correct, because if PayPal attempts to match the SSN using almost ANY mainstream method, the SSN should come back as DECEASED. Also, while SSN's were once issued by state and blocks of numbers COULD be verified that way, that is no longer the case. It would also be of relatively limited use. In my day, most people obtained an SSN when they applied for their first job. Now, they are issued to newborns. But in any event, PEOPLE MOVE! It is NOT uncommon to see an SSN issued in NY to appear in CA or anywhere else. Something like 20% of the population moves in any given year, and a lot of those people move to different states. It could be for the weather, for a job, for love, or whatever reason, but it happens a lot.

My advice would be to NOT monkey around with social security numbers. You COULD get badly burned. And NEVER use a real person's SSN along with their name to pass a verification, because that is considered IDENTITY THEFT and you could end up in jail, ESPECIALLY if you do not have their permission to do so. I mention this because I have seen shady websites offering to "solve" the verification by providing social security numbers - they do not SAY they are stolen, but they ARE in fact stolen. This is not an area that you want to mess around in. It could cost you DEARLY.

If you want to learn more about social security numbers to see what the numbers mean and how they are issued, you can go to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number

Last edited by jeffweico; 07-08-2015 at 09:15 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
newjerseymax (07-12-2015), novemberrain1970 (07-09-2015), xDerekRx (07-21-2015)
Old 07-09-2015

Longevity: 54%

So if you have a sole proprietor dba EIN # and the letter/pdf from the IRS has:
Individual Name(Real not Stealth name)
DBA Name (in my case I a business name)
Stealth address (different from address on PP account)

There is no SS # or DOB on the IRS letter/PDF. What precisely would need to given to PP to receive a match. In other words if I use the DBA, EIN and Address but NOT the individual name, how would that work?

or let's say for purpose of discussion if I do put the Individual name, DBA, EIN, address but not a SS why wouldn't that work (even though the name is different than that on the PP account)...in theory a person can own a business and have someone else run the business. So, the person running the business would be the name on the PP account so they could handle the day to day etc. Why wouldn't this work? It seems that without a SS # the name is irrelevant since there is no way for PP to confirm identity.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 07-09-2015

I wanted to ask also on the "cant upgrade to business because account is limited" statement, could this be because the account is not past the 90 day mark as is the case with mine? I'm still receiving funds, PP is releasing funds. I"m only a few days away from the 90 day mark with no issues so far. I would appreciate any information on the "limited" issue...
Thanks
Old 07-09-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman210 View Post
So if you have a sole proprietor dba EIN # and the letter/pdf from the IRS has:
Individual Name(Real not Stealth name)
DBA Name (in my case I a business name)
Stealth address (different from address on PP account)

There is no SS # or DOB on the IRS letter/PDF. What precisely would need to given to PP to receive a match. In other words if I use the DBA, EIN and Address but NOT the individual name, how would that work?

or let's say for purpose of discussion if I do put the Individual name, DBA, EIN, address but not a SS why wouldn't that work (even though the name is different than that on the PP account)...in theory a person can own a business and have someone else run the business. So, the person running the business would be the name on the PP account so they could handle the day to day etc. Why wouldn't this work? It seems that without a SS # the name is irrelevant since there is no way for PP to confirm identity.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
If you applied as a SOLE PROPRIETOR - and it looks like that is the case - then PayPal will send the STEALTH NAME on the account to the IRS along with the EIN and it will come back as NO MATCH. This is because a DBA is NOT a legal entity, the same way a corporation or limited liability company is. In the case of a DBA, that means that YOU are the legal entity doing business as (for example) John's Pizza Place.

Corporations, LLC's and some Partnerships are considered separate legal entities. Therefore, the IRS will verify the BUSINESS NAME against the EIN. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT since you will be able to stay legal with the IRS by being responsible for paying the taxes, yet invisible to eBay/PayPal/Amazon since the IRS does not verify these by person's names, only by business names.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
xDerekRx (07-21-2015)
Old 07-09-2015

I have 4 llc but wanted to try this dba route as suggested in other topics. As an aside for those who are interested a simple search on irs website has the specific information on this topic ,its a third party verification and even has ebay/PayPal specifically mentioned.
It's call the MATCH program and its good info to know.
Old 07-10-2015

So I got the account limited email today, I've been trying to upgrade for days but keep getting the loop as OP mentioned...

Now I cannot receive funds as stated, so what is the resolution to this...There has to be something feasible....
Please let me know anybody....I really appreciate it..

Thanks
Old 07-10-2015

Longevity: 51%

$5k and ID Theft in exchange for a 2yr (MINIMUM) prison term? Not worth it.

Tread lightly.
Old 07-10-2015

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Skype™ to ebayerOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman210 View Post
So I got the account limited email today, I've been trying to upgrade for days but keep getting the loop as OP mentioned...

Now I cannot receive funds as stated, so what is the resolution to this...There has to be something feasible....
Please let me know anybody....I really appreciate it..

Thanks
once the account has been limited, an EIN cannot be used to lift it

so guys- if you get the request to provide tax info- have an LLC ready to go

it takes two weeks for any new LLC to register in the IRS database. If you try using a fresh new LLC, it very well could prompt for the SSN.

have an LLC ready to go far ahead of time for all stealth accounts, and add after everything has been running smoothly for a while.

I do NOT recommend adding an EIN to an infant account! not only are you risking burning it in case you make some error, but it doesn't look the best when the account hasn't proven itself as trustworthy yet
The Following User Says Thank You to ebayerOG For This Useful Post:
Smoothness (07-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2015

As mentioned earlier post, i have been trying to upgrade with EIN well before i got limited notice but was unable to because of the endless loop issue the OP mentioned. That is still the issue, i can't even get to the part where the EIN is to be entered. Calling is not option due to gender on acct. Not looking to do anything false here. The issue is how to get past the glitch first. PP is too legit to have tech issue this long..
Old 07-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

These messages have become common place for US accounts the last several years. If you get them it doesn't mean you have to do anything but slow down sales. If you are at 120 in month 7 wait till like October to sell again. Once get around about 190 payments received the past few years they will limit you for reviving anymore. They usually lock the account at this time. Personally I have had this happen twice with my stealth's over the past few years both time in late Jan i got them released. Not something I would count on.

This is why if you got eBay Stealth no Tax ID you need lots of accounts. Spread them out and know the system.