new ebay agreement, seller pays return postage... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal > UK eBay Suspensions

UK eBay Suspensions General issues related to UK eBay suspensions

Old 08-13-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Default new ebay agreement, seller pays return postage...

just had emails from eeebay to my accounts,
ref new updates to user agreement,

if i have it right from sept if a buyer wants to return an item and they say it is not as described or damaged then the seller with HAVE to pay the cost of postage for that item being returned,

now that means any buyer who does not want the item or changes mind or does not like the colour/fit etc etc will simply say its not as described and you will have to cover the return cost.....

surely i have got that wrong ? (don't think so)

we will now end up like a catalog type company where buyers order items just to have a look and know if they decide to return it, you the seller will kindly cover that return cost for them ...

i can see a lot more accounts going down or getting suspensions

think i need another coffee,

Last edited by benny; 08-13-2014 at 07:02 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,526 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%
Default Re: new ebay agreement, seller pays return postage...

The only way to avoid this is to use a lot of personal accounts and avoid business accounts all together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ebayorbust For This Useful Post:
benny (08-13-2014), GreenBean (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

I'm not entirely sure how the system will work untill implemented. But there is another way I am going to try and get around the system rather than the personal account route.
Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Who is going to break this news to stevebills?

Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

You can create settings to automatically refund and the buyer returns nothing. Possibly the best option if you sell low value items.
Old 08-13-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Who is going to break this news to stevebills?

lol not me but i cant wait to see the reaction
Old 08-13-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebayorbust View Post
You can create settings to automatically refund and the buyer returns nothing. Possibly the best option if you sell low value items.
i see your point but i think once they tell their friends and family they can buy from you and get their money back and not have to return anything you may experience the "snowball" effect, just a thought
Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny View Post
i see your point but i think once they tell their friends and family they can buy from you and get their money back and not have to return anything you may experience the "snowball" effect, just a thought
I'm sure you're right but for low cost items it will still be the cheaper option.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong here, just adding to the debate and making people aware of all options open to them.
Old 08-13-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebayorbust View Post
I'm sure you're right but for low cost items it will still be the cheaper option.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong here, just adding to the debate and making people aware of all options open to them.
sorry Ebayorbust
i do agree with you,
i don't think there is a way around it but as you say it may be the "best/cheaper" option,
and as we cannot control how or by which method they return it they could choose to send it back via first class recorded or worse....

i really am concerned about this as losses could very quickly add up, and where as the bigger companies may simply include a prepaid returns label with their items most people are not in a position to do that,
not that eeebay will be concerned about us lol
Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
and as we cannot control how or by which method they return it they could choose to send it back via first class recorded or worse....
The cheapest option is automatically selected by EB
Old 08-13-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

My returns policy already reflects this. Basically, if the return is my fault, I will pay the return shipping at no more than the first class mail rate (otherwise some idiots will try to use Express Mail, Registered, Certified, Return Receipt Requested and expect to be reimbursed for it). If the return is the buyers fault (buyer remorse, ordered the wrong one, etc.) then THEY have to pay for the return.

I have had this in place for 3 years. I have very few returns and most of the ones that I have are honest returns. I can either see where I made a mistake, or the buyer asks to return it because they decided they didn't want it after all.

Only once in three years have I had a bad experience. One lady thought she would return the item as I laid out above - Express Mail, Certified, Return receipt requested. She was extremely upset when I told her I would only reimburse her at the first class postage rate and she complained to eBay. I told the eBay rep that using such an expensive method for a return was unreasonable and held my ground. eBay sided with me and I won the case. I blocked her, of course. A few months later, I noticed that she was no longer a registered user when eBay removed her negative feedback.

The bottom line is, while these cases CAN be annoying, most buyers are not looking to scam people. In some cases, when the item value was low, I told the buyer not to bother to send the item (they were claiming it was damaged in transit and they had HUGE feedback, so I'm sure it probably was) and have had no problems there, either.

My return rate is well under one half of one percent. If you sell items that are prone to returns, like clothing, counterfeits, refurbished stuff, etc. then I would be worried about the new policy. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.