eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Amazon (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/amazon/)
-   -   Creating an Amazon page with no UPC? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/amazon/19366-creating-amazon-page-no-upc.html)

MrMondo 06-11-2010 09:04 AM

Creating an Amazon page with no UPC?

I sell VHS and DVDs on Amazon as a premium seller, so I am able to put up new pages. My problem is with imported items (usually British). Amazon will not accept the British UPC/EAN codes, and will not let the page proceed without them. I know there is a way around this, because I see competitors putting up pages for the kind of item I sell on a regular basis. (Often if I wait long enough one of them will build a page for an item I want to sell, but I don't want to have to wait for that.) Does anyone know?

BTW, I'm new here and am finding this board extremely useful!

MrMondo 06-13-2010 01:48 PM

Gee, I'll hate to find out that I stumped everyone here! I posted the same thing on a similar message board and got replies from people who didn't understand the problem, so if I wasn't clear let me know and I'll be happy to try to be clearer. It's a problem that drives me nuts, especially because I KNOW there's a way around it - I see the evidence daily!

healthnut88 06-13-2010 01:59 PM

Are they buying a upc code from the many that are sold online?

MrMondo 06-13-2010 02:13 PM

I guess that's a possibility, but I doubt it - unless they have a cheap source for the UPS codes, it would cost them a lot. One seller I can think of has probably built pages for hundreds of items, and I can't believe they've made a whole lot of profit on any individual items, certainly not enough to make the cost worthwhile.

The number of items this particular seller lists (there are others, too) is what makes me believe there is a reasonably simple way to get around the UPC problem.

healthnut88 06-13-2010 02:17 PM

I just did a quick search and see them as low as $9.95. (They also advertise: Perfect for Amazon)

MrMondo 06-13-2010 02:23 PM

I just recalled some information that someone smarter than me might be able to figure out: 18 months or so ago, I somehow found the UPC numbers submitted to Amazon for seven of the products I’m talking about. (I can’t remember how – I think Amazon used to list UPC number on the product pages, but it was inconsistent and they don’t seem to do it at all anymore.)
Comparing those numbers to the ones on the original boxes (i.e., the 13-digit British UPC codes), the codes used on Amazon are nearly identical. They are 12 digits (the American standard) instead of 13. My guess is that the seller knows some way to modify the British codes to make them acceptable to Amazon. But I can’t see any pattern in how the new codes were concocted:

In one case, the last digit of the 13 digit code was simply lopped off.

In three cases, the last three digits were replaced by two different digits: 427 became 52, 637 became 75, and 198 became 20

In the remaining three cases, the last two digits were replaced by one different digit: 67 to 3, 44 to 8, 48 to 2.

My first guess was that the new digits were arbitrary as long as the new code was 12 digits. But when I tried it myself it didn’t work.

That’s all I know!

oWell 06-13-2010 03:26 PM

There is a simple way around this. Put your item in the 'everything else' catagory. They won't ask for any item codes if you do that and your item still comes up in the search the same way.

MrMondo 06-13-2010 04:08 PM

The problem with the "Everything Else" category is that buyers find the item only if they search "All Departments." If they search "Movies and TV" (which for some reason is where the DVDs are located), they won't find it. This is how most buyers who are shopping for movies search - once they're in the category, they stay there unless they make a decision to move to "All Departments." I listed some items in "Everything Else" when I started, and it took a LOOOONG time for them to sell.

oWell 06-13-2010 04:19 PM

Oh I see. I didn't realize that. I've posted many things in the 'everything else' catagory (over 1000) and have been happy with my sales. Maybe I am missing out. Anyway sorry I couldn't help.

MrMondo 06-13-2010 04:41 PM

Probably depends on what you're selling. Thanks for the input!

homerz 06-14-2010 08:57 AM

upc code

There is no way around it, if you want to list new items you have to buy UPC codes, plain and simple.

slapped 06-14-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMondo (Post 144635)
The problem with the "Everything Else" category is that buyers find the item only if they search "All Departments." If they search "Movies and TV" (which for some reason is where the DVDs are located), they won't find it. This is how most buyers who are shopping for movies search - once they're in the category, they stay there unless they make a decision to move to "All Departments." I listed some items in "Everything Else" when I started, and it took a LOOOONG time for them to sell.

When Amazon finds out you used the "Everything Else" Catagory incorrectly, they will boot you

poorgirl 09-10-2010 03:05 AM

I think you can make up the UPC code?

Hercules 09-10-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMondo (Post 144635)

I went into 'everything else', got an odd description, went to 'all departments' and searched. That item came up. But to get into 'everything else' I had to type 'everything else' in and it brought me there. It's not on the search list?!

I read somewhere you can put up one of a kind items and Amazon gives you a upc. But I think you have to be an authorized seller or something.

NGALO1983 11-24-2012 09:14 PM

Seems like this is my problem. Thanks!

rsot 11-24-2012 11:04 PM

Nice use of search Ngalo :)