Can I use the public function of my Xfinity modem for extra IP address? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 03-23-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default Can I use the public function of my Xfinity modem for extra IP address?

I have accidentally discovered that my Xfinity modem has a factory set additional WiFi network called: xfinitywifi

When you connect to it, it brings login window so any xfinity existing customer can connect to it. It seems that many xfinity modems come with this built in feature, as I see this at friends and neighbors homes as well.

Since I am an existing xfinity customer, I can connect to it with my user credentials. When I check the IP address, it assigns a different one from my usual one that I use on my own WiFi network that I have created on that same Modem.

Is it safe to use that different IP address to run another Amazon Ghost account or is it a problem that the modem Mac IP would still show the same?

Assuming all other steps are as per the ghost guide - running separate user account on your laptop and etc...

Just curious if this extra public WiFi on my modem could be useful for something...
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-23-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Can I use the public function of my Xfinity modem for extra IP address?

"xfinitywifi" isn't only on your modem, it's available anywhere Comcast has coverage. I live in their service area and that same network is always available on my phone, laptop, tv, etc.. Only certain service levels are allowed to access that network though.

You would get a new IP by using that network but it would be a risky IP to use. xfinitywifi is a public network and Comcast only has a certain amounts of IP's in their pool for that network, so the chances of you ending up with an IP already used on AZ are relatively high. Plus, xfinitywifi is one of the SLOWEST networks I've ever tried to work on. Way too overcrowded.
Old 03-23-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Can I use the public function of my Xfinity modem for extra IP address?

Main problem with the public WiFi things like that on home routers is the very very slow speeds.

We have something similar in the UK and I used to use it on my own home network but it was like living with a dial up modem again
Old 03-23-2016
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%

Yes, thank you for the input, I just did a speed test, my network gives me 90mb/s down and 12 mb/s up speeds, and the xfinitywifi does 16mb/s down and 2 mb/s up. That's about 6 times slower. Crazy! Also I didn't realize that the IP addresses are the same for many users, I kind of assumed that it's similar to how my network from them has an assigned IP that even though isn't static, it always stays the same and maybe changes once per year.