"Help us comply with Australian anti money laundering laws" - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > Australia eBay & Paypal > AU PayPal Talk

Old 12-17-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default "Help us comply with Australian anti money laundering laws"

I got a message from paypal about my account balance approaching $1000, and that when it reaches $1000 my account will be limited.

When i log in i get a massaging asking me to verify my identity. They are asking me to provide my previous address, and a passport number.
The previous address is simple as i can just make one up, but the passport number, i have no idea where i can get this from. Can i just make it up? or will they know its a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number?

This account was going so well, i've processed so many payments and withdrawn well over $1000 already.

BTW i am in australia

Thank you guys so much!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Think you are over reacting to that letter. Are you sure it did not just ask for some sort of ID like a DL, military ID or passport? Not usual that it's an outright request for one. (Might have changed in the past 3 months, dunno.)
Can you upload the notice or send me a copy by pm?
Old 12-17-2010
Threadstarter  

I sent u a copy of the email by PM. They aren't asking me for id, but to confirm my identity by providing a previous address and passport number. they are also asking me to answer "questions for politically exposed people" whatever thats supposed to mean. The request for the passport number is what i am most worried about.
Old 12-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Got it!

Paypal 'try' the passport out. If you dont have that as ID, you should supply what you have
Old 12-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

what do you mean by 'try' passport out?

I assume its a bluff, they cannot verify it, so why ask for it..
Old 12-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

paypal australia 'try' to get us to supply passport(s) as ID. Australian Tax Office has advised me, and others as a direct response to paypal's request, it is a try out. ATO does not require the supply of the passport in association with attempts to conform with Australian Anti-Money laundering regulations.
Old 12-17-2010

Longevity: 79%

I had the same problem a few months ago, i fiddled with passport number. After entering passport number i received an email requestion more info. But the account wasnt fully limited, was still able to withdraw my money.
Old 12-17-2010
Threadstarter  

Thanks jaanz. What did you enter for the "previous address"?

What happened after that? Did you send them the documents they wanted? If so, did they accept? and do you still have use of that account?

Last edited by efebay; 12-18-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-18-2010

Well because i had changed my address on that account, i entered the actual previous address i had on file, but that also wasnt my real address anyway.
Yes I sent them a copy of id and utility bill and it is still in progress, havent heard from them ever since then and this happened in may this year.
I still have full access to the account, i can still use it if i want but i let it go, dont use it. It is still under review, wouldnt take a chance.
Old 12-18-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanz View Post
Well because i had changed my address on that account, i entered the actual previous address i had on file, but that also wasnt my real address anyway.
Yes I sent them a copy of id and utility bill and it is still in progress, havent heard from them ever since then and this happened in may this year.
I still have full access to the account, i can still use it if i want but i let it go, dont use it. It is still under review, wouldnt take a chance.
I don't understand why they are asking me for a previous address, i have only ever had one address registered to that account, and what if i don't even have a previous address.

Did you have much money in the account when it happened? Im scared that im not going to have enough time to withdraw all the money, and if i do it all at once it will make it worse.
Old 12-18-2010

Longevity: 94%

I came across this site ( https://www.deloittedigital.com/port...utions/greenid ) and I would not be surprised if Paypal is using it. If you read down the page you will see a paragraph 'Try it yourself! You can see how the greenID™ process works here.' I'm surprised there has not been a hue and cry about this service.... I'd be interested to read others opinions in regard to this
The Following User Says Thank You to craigoaus For This Useful Post:
efebay (12-18-2010)
Old 12-18-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigoaus View Post
I came across this site ( https://www.deloittedigital.com/port...utions/greenid ) and I would not be surprised if Paypal is using it. If you read down the page you will see a paragraph 'Try it yourself! You can see how the greenID™ process works here.' I'm surprised there has not been a hue and cry about this service.... I'd be interested to read others opinions in regard to this
They also ask for a previous address, if you click "no" where it asks if you have lived in this address for more than three years.

I think this explains a lot. Thanks so much
Old 12-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by efebay View Post
Did you have much money in the account when it happened? Im scared that im not going to have enough time to withdraw all the money, and if i do it all at once it will make it worse.
I had just under a $1000 in the account at the time. I purchased about $600 worth of goods and withdrawed the rest of the money with no problems.

Im actually in the same situation again at this moment, i havent answered any of the questions yet and made a withdraw of $200 and it went through.

So thats what im doing at the moment, im not rushing to answere the questions, untill i get all my money.

Same thing happened to a close friend of mine about a year ago. After answering the questions, he also received the email requesting for more info. But never did give the info they requested and is still using the account now..
Old 12-19-2010
Threadstarter  

Default [QUOTE=jaanz;191104] [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Same thing happened to a close friend of mine about a year ago. After answering the questions, he also received the email requesting for more info. But never did give the info they requested and is still using the account now..
Does your friend do many transactions with the account? And did they only ask him for the info once?

Hopefully i'll still be able to use the account. Im still not sure what to do though, as i'm pretty sure the account could easy go down. I think i'll wait untill i've finished my transactions and then ask them if i can send some sort of I.D, and then hopefully it will all work out, if it does i'll just go easy on the account for a few months at least.

I could also just keep using the account and ignore the requests, but this would probably be tredding on thin ice, and i guess the smallest thing could bring it down.
Old 12-19-2010

[QUOTE=efebay;191107]Does your friend do many transactions with the account? And did they only ask him for the info once?

No he doesnt do much transactions and they only asked him once.

Well if you have the documents they ask for why not try. But i wouldnt worry about it to much, you should be able to get your money.
Old 12-19-2010
Threadstarter  

[quote=jaanz;191108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by efebay View Post
Does your friend do many transactions with the account? And did they only ask him for the info once?

No he doesnt do much transactions and they only asked him once.

Well if you have the documents they ask for why not try. But i wouldnt worry about it to much, you should be able to get your money.
Great, i'm hoping the same thing will happen to me. But i'm still terrified because i think even the smallest thing could bring my account down right now.
Old 12-20-2010

[quote=efebay;191128]
Quote:

Great, i'm hoping the same thing will happen to me. But i'm still terrified because i think even the smallest thing could bring my account down right now.
I wouldnt send any documents in before getting my money out of pp first, wouldnt take that chance just incase it gets denied. Then you would have to wait that 180 days to get your funds.

I have made 2 withdraws already and both went through without a problem.

Have you answered the questions yet?
Old 01-05-2011
Threadstarter  

[quote=jaanz;191293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaanz View Post
Have you answered the questions yet?
No i still haven't answered the questions. I'm worried if i do answer anything or send anything in that they might limit the account, and then i would probably lose the ebay account attached to it. It seems to be going fine the way it is, i think as long as i don't do anything to draw attention to it it should be fine.