Is it safe to upload pics to my listing that were saved on computer. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing

Auction Listing Images, Descriptions, Titles, Listing Advice, BIN and More!

Old 08-13-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 85%
Default Is it safe to upload pics to my listing that were saved on computer.

I was wondering, since I have created different user accounts on my computer for each ebay/paypal account, is it safe to just save my pics to the computer and then upload them??? Instead of using a hosting site?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-13-2009

Usually I would rename the picture if its a long unique name but if it was just called "pic1" then I would not bother. A photo is just a photo it does not carry any data apart from its name.
Old 08-14-2009

Hi Ebayhastochange It depends on your pic's as some store metadata tags, if your camera had that capability or the pic's you have obtained aready contain metadata tags. Just by changing the name of the pic will not erase the metadata tags.

"Exif was created by the Japan Electronic Industries Development Association (JEIDA). Version 2.1 of the specification is dated June 12, 1998, and the latest, version 2.2 dated April 2002, is also known as Exif Print. Though the specification is not currently maintained by any industry or standards organisation, its use by camera manufacturers is nearly universal.

The metadata tags defined in the Exif standard cover a broad spectrum:

* Date and time information. Digital cameras will record the current date and time and save this in the metadata.
* Camera settings. This includes static information such as the camera model and make, and information that varies with each image such as orientation (rotation), aperture, shutter speed, focal length, metering mode, and ISO speed information.
* A thumbnail for previewing the picture on the camera's LCD screen, in file managers, or in photo manipulation software.
* Descriptions and copyright information."

Theres a instructive post on the forum on how to get rid of it. Oh and gps they can also find holding location information on pic's too!
Old 08-14-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

It can also contain GPS location of where the photo was taken, and more.

The GPS part bothers me the most.

Date, time, camera ID, and GPS... THAT IS A SOLID LINK IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!
Old 08-14-2009

Longevity: 89%

Two workarounds:

1. If there are not many photos, Get them printed out, scan them back into your PC, rename the files either very common or very new unique.

2. View these photos, press "Print Screen" button on the keyboard, open Paint from Accessories, paste it in, save out a new picture file name. Edit it a little bit using MS pic manger or any photo editing tool, do some crops, resize, remove the unnecessary parts and save out.

* I prefer the 2nd method *
Old 08-14-2009
Vicvelcro

Skip the scan step. Just take the original digital image, strip the exif, crop a tiny bit or change contrast/brightness a tiny tiny bit. Save as a generic filename. Example: img<barcode from your cough syrup> and next pic is filename+1.

That changes the hash value scanned by the bots.
Old 08-14-2009
Threadstarter  

O.k, sounds good, or maybe I can just use my sisters camera and take all new pics. Most of my pics on my last auctions were all from the websites that I purchase my products from, so I just right click save to my computer, rename and then upload to my listing. I can't use those pics?, or could I just go back on the websites again and right click and save those same pics to my new user acct. on my computer? Maybe alter it a little, change name or something?? Just wanna make sure I do this perfect without flaws!!
Old 08-14-2009
Vicvelcro

Those pics could link you and they probably have exif and watermarks embedded. If you take new pics with cam, strip exif. It takes a fraction of a second to do. Make it a habit. That way, if you ever need to move the pics to another acct, the switch is easy (just change brightness or something one tiny bit and resave).
Old 08-16-2009
Threadstarter  

So if I use a site to host the images can they be linked?
Old 08-16-2009

Activity: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon999 View Post
Two workarounds:

1. If there are not many photos, Get them printed out, scan them back into your PC, rename the files either very common or very new unique.

2. View these photos, press "Print Screen" button on the keyboard, open Paint from Accessories, paste it in, save out a new picture file name. Edit it a little bit using MS pic manger or any photo editing tool, do some crops, resize, remove the unnecessary parts and save out.

* I prefer the 2nd method *

What If I use photobucket to crop them and edit them a little, Would that still work?
Old 08-16-2009

Activity: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
Those pics could link you and they probably have exif and watermarks embedded. If you take new pics with cam, strip exif. It takes a fraction of a second to do. Make it a habit. That way, if you ever need to move the pics to another acct, the switch is easy (just change brightness or something one tiny bit and resave).

What about uploading them on photobucket? Would that still change the exif,etc...? The same pics that werre used on a suspended account won't be used on a new account anyways, I would just take new pics
Old 08-16-2009
Vicvelcro

Re #9: It can, but only moderate concern by itself. If hashes change and filename is diff and exif is gone, but host is same but is a common host - should be ok.

Re #10: Should be fine.

Re #11: Uploading does not do anything to exif unless during the upload it gets resized or otherwise modified. If the upload is 1:1, nothing changes. Exif comes from the camera unless you purposely inject it via software.
Old 08-16-2009

Longevity: 90%

All pictures taken with any recent camera store metadata (referred more commonly to as exif for pics) (lens used, camera type, etc). I'm a photographer and I'm used to using it a lot for my business.

Quick way to get rid of it is make a new document in Photoshop, copy the content in it and save the new JPEG. Alternatively you can use softwares such as these Metadata Removal, Metadata Extraction | Workshare to remove all metadata (applies to all sort of documents).

That being said metadata does not provide a lot of info on its own, but if you the same pictures of the same product with a Nikon 3D and all use the same ones (or different angles) then if they look into it it might link you.
Old 08-16-2009
Vicvelcro

GPS (some models), Date, Time, Serial Number... exact settings for exposure, flash, and more.

ebay has bots that sift images for the exif.
Old 08-16-2009

I have a few pro SLR cameras and none enter the serial by default, and GPS well, even a 3000$ does not have a GPS in it, so Im not sure which camera could do it (I never heard of it)..

But exposure settings are indeed added, so if you use the exact same camera all the time, and the bots hit you... good bye cookie!
Old 08-17-2009
Vicvelcro

$300 cameras at Sam's club have GPS built in. At least here, they do.

That's why I buy old cameras without that capability at the pawn shop for ebay pics. Use 'em till they break and buy another...

I still have some exif to strip, but if I forget someday, they don't get my serial and GPS data.

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 08-17-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2009

Well Im not familiar with P&S cams anymore (point and shoot). A lot of companies include totally fail and unnecessary capabilities and boost the megapixel count to sell more cameras, while putting in ****ty lenses and sensors. Yet, people will buy the camera for the awesome built-in GPS or 10x optical zoom, while not realizing their photos will be as good as a pile of Moose ****.

For eBAY stuff though, I guess it wouldnt matter that much!
The Following User Says Thank You to TigerLord For This Useful Post: