eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Auction Listing (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/auction-listing/)
-   -   FYI.. eBay "private" message system (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/auction-listing/2409-fyi-ebay-private-message-system.html)

koalawash 01-25-2008 07:27 PM

FYI.. eBay "private" message system

First off, I say "private" in quotes because eBay can and does snoop through private messages you send to other eBay members. Most of you probably know that already, but heads-up to those of you who may not.

Also, just found this out recently. An eBay account must be registered for at least 3 days before you can send a PM to anyone at all. It's not likely to be a problem for many of you but I thought it would be good to mention anyway since I'd never seen that covered on these forums. Not too big a deal in my case, but it was just kind of a pain because the seller of an item I bid on sent me a message before my account was 3 days old and I couldn't reply even if I wanted to. :mad:

aspkin 01-25-2008 09:01 PM

Didn't know about that limitations. Is that new?

koalawash 01-25-2008 09:21 PM

As far as I know it must be new. I had no idea of this until just recently, and they don't exactly advertise all their limitations up front in the first place.

ebayhateluv 01-25-2008 09:46 PM

HI- I know that a message appears stating that "sometimes we block these message types for the safety of the community,,,etc,"
-- Also- on a newbie acct- "you have used the number of messages / questions allowed"...

koalawash 01-25-2008 10:20 PM

Yeah, this one was different though. Pretty much said exactly what I did.. something like "accounts that have been registered for less than 3 days are not allowed to use the 'contact member' feature"..

DogFacedBoy 01-26-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebayhateluv (Post 22051)
HI- I know that a message appears stating that "sometimes we block these message types for the safety of the community,,,etc,"
-- Also- on a newbie acct- "you have used the number of messages / questions allowed"...

Yeah, what a bunch of crap that is. I have had people email me about an item, but not through the "ask seller a question" probably more like "contact member"...
Anyway ebay will let them send me an email, but when I go to reply (after entering that annoying number in the box) I get the canned response you mentioned...WTF
If they are so concerned about safety, why did they let him write me in the first place?
They are such mindless BOTs it's ridiculous. I went and checked several email accts that service banned ebay accounts and I get a suspension due to non-payment of fees email followed by an item you were watching has been re-listed, followed by promotional listing fees emails. Once they kick you off why don't they just cease all communication.
This past summer I got a catalog from them on an acct that was shut down over a year earlier...go figure?

twdell 01-27-2008 08:42 AM

so now i know why i couldn't respond to a question a buyer had for one of my new items until yesterday.

jscan 04-06-2008 04:44 AM

never knew they snooped, i count myself lucky to still be on ebay because if they read any of my messages id be sure gone.