How to protect myself from SNAD? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > Canada eBay Discussions

Canada eBay Discussions General discussions about eBay.ca Suspensions. This forum is mostly geared towards Canada eBay sellers.

Old 10-08-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default How to protect myself from SNAD?

Hello,

I am soon going to sell an expensive item around 1.5k.
And so i dont want to get scammed.
Obviously ship it with tracking + signature + insurance, however i dont know what else to do.

BTW: Its two phones.

If person claims "item not as described" and ships me back an empty box how would I protect myself?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I don't know of any way to be 100% safe on eBay.

Using signature confirmation is a good first step, as it elimnates the "Not Received" possibility. However, this still leaves the buyer with two options under SNAD.

Option 1 is they claim the item is defective. As you mentioned, they could then send back an empty box.

Option 2 is they claim it is a counterfeit. Then they don't even have to send it back. They just have to "certify" (Super-Double-Pinkie-Swear) that they destroyed it.

Luckily, most buyers are honest, so the odds ARE in your favor. But if you absolutely cannot afford the loss, I would sell it somewhere else.
Old 10-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

First off - by looking at your flag I can see your from Canada. Now - I would AVOID sending internationally via Canadapost (outside of Canada and USA) as there's been cases where packages have been lost even when it was sent by the fastest service. USE Fedex or UPS with signature confirmation if your selling within Canada/USA. Canadapost tracking sucks - and is usually not accurate.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning View Post
First off - by looking at your flag I can see your from Canada. Now - I would AVOID sending internationally via Canadapost (outside of Canada and USA) as there's been cases where packages have been lost even when it was sent by the fastest service. USE Fedex or UPS with signature confirmation if your selling within Canada/USA. Canadapost tracking sucks - and is usually not accurate.
Should i record the whole procedure of me packaging the item and/or the fedex/ups guy packaging the item plus the receipts (of the 2 phones and shipping)?
Old 10-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Should i record the whole procedure of me packaging the item and/or the fedex/ups guy packaging the item plus the receipts (of the 2 phones and shipping)?
Well - it would be recommended you take pictures before shipping the item - but there will always be risks associated with sending pricey items. The best way is to call the buyer, and confirm if his address is correct. Obviously if he used a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number, I would use caution. Check his ebay profile, address on the internet and etc. This should help eliminate some of the risk. Make sure the person is not using a 'shipment' forwarding address. Scammers tend to use those places - a simple google check should help you.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning View Post
Well - it would be recommended you take pictures before shipping the item - but there will always be risks associated with sending pricey items. The best way is to call the buyer, and confirm if his address is correct. Obviously if he used a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number, I would use caution. Check his ebay profile, address on the internet and etc. This should help eliminate some of the risk. Make sure the person is not using a 'shipment' forwarding address. Scammers tend to use those places - a simple google check should help you.
Alrighty, thanks for the info. I will do a extensive background check on the potential winner.
Old 10-10-2011

Longevity: 75%

Let us know what happens and good luck..
Old 11-07-2011

Longevity: 77%

Regarding the buyer sending back an empty box:

I had this issue with a buyer - only instead of sending back an empty box he decided to send back potatoes.

Unfortunately for him vegetable products are not allowed to enter my country. I received a signed and stamped letter from the agriculture department informing me that I have received a package with potatoes in it and that I need certain permissions to allow it enter into the country.

I scanned the letter and uploaded it to paypal - paypal requested a police report to validate the details I provided. So I went to the police with letter and told them to write that the details are true and sign the letter. Uploaded it to paypal and the case was eventually decided in my favor.

Regarding claiming the item is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ - you should join a receipt or certificate of authenticity to the listing. It would help avoid these cases.
Old 11-07-2011

Longevity: 78%
Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

haha i like the outcome of that one lol

hope the buyer got a nice heafty fine for sending illegal goods into your country
Old 11-08-2011

Longevity: 74%

Local pickup is the best solution I found !!
Old 11-08-2011

Longevity: 78%
Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

yeah,defo local pickup if the item is worth some

people will travel too