eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/dropshipping-wholesale-suppliers/)
-   -   Is traveling to China a must? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/dropshipping-wholesale-suppliers/116251-traveling-china-must.html)

walkingupwards 03-26-2018 02:02 AM

Is traveling to China a must?

Is finding a good manufacturer ,who would make your product exactly as you want it to be made, possible without traveling to China?

Anyone here with such experiences?

Gladiator 03-26-2018 02:18 AM

Re: Is traveling to China a must?

....no.

Look up companies, tell them what you're wanting, get a prototype....

13obby 03-26-2018 06:39 AM

Not required as previously stated by Gladiator find suppliers using alibaba etc chat to them request and pay for sample negotiate price and go from their.

phaz0rz 03-26-2018 08:12 AM

It's not impossible to find a good supplier online but I've heard it's easier if you travel to China, know the language, and communicate directly with potential suppliers. Not really an option for most though.

Chinese members here have said lots of Ali sellers aren't manufacturing anything, just sourcing from 1688 and reselling worldwide. Going there in person would be a good way to tell trading companies from actual factories.

dachilla 03-26-2018 08:35 AM

maybe not necessary, but it could be fun...

yankee 03-26-2018 08:44 AM

I will be going later this year or early next not because I have to but because it is the polite thing to do in my exact circumstance.

phaz0rz 03-26-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankee (Post 910125)
I will be going later this year or early next not because I have to but because it is the polite thing to do in my exact circumstance.

Have you started taking the steps necessary to go there as an American? I'm curious what kind of paperwork needs to be taken care of in advance. I think Americans are only allowed into China through certain ports but that's about all I know.

I really want to go but I have a fear of some kind of "Locked Up Abroad" scenario playing out where I would get locked up in a Chinese prison.

nimade71 03-26-2018 09:25 AM

People rarely come to China personally unless it is for an very big order. Usually they just request sample at first and then go from there.

yankee 03-26-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 910132)
Have you started taking the steps necessary to go there as an American? I'm curious what kind of paperwork needs to be taken care of in advance. I think Americans are only allowed into China through certain ports but that's about all I know.

I really want to go but I have a fear of some kind of "Locked Up Abroad" scenario playing out where I would get locked up in a Chinese prison.

You need your visa. It takes a few months. Americans travel all over the entire country. We have friends who live there months of the year. We have friends who have gone for vacations(no idea why) They said they loved it but will NEVER go again LOL

It is super loud. Never quiet. People everywhere. Rude people. Gross people. People literally **** and piss in the streets. Restrooms are an open ditch behind a wall in much of the country. Basically too many people.

You cant eat vegetables, you cant have water or ice cubes etc...You must be very careful if not stomach pains and diarrhea are your fate.

My friends who only travel there for business absolutely hate going. They say it is horrible unless you are into nude massages and cheap/free hookers.

My big turnoff now is that we cant eat the street foods or have fish head soup because of the water quality.

No offense to our Chinese members or my Chinese friends. It is just very different from the USA and a culture shock to most of us.

nimade71 03-26-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 910132)

:heh::heh::heh: It is 20th century now and the document thing should be very easy. I have seen many Americans hanging around in China now. It is extremely foreginer-friendly in big cities like Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Beijing, etc.

phaz0rz 03-26-2018 09:39 AM

It's actually the 21st century now, lol.

Shenzhen would be my primary interest. I'll have to start looking into it.

dachilla 03-26-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 910138)
It's actually the 21st century now, lol.

Shenzhen would be my primary interest. I'll have to start looking into it.

I'll go this year too, probably to Guangzhou... haven't been there yet. If you go to Shenzhen make sure you also visit Hong Kong and Macau. Pretty cool cities, really liked it there.

Toolman89 03-26-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 910117)
it's not impossible to find a good supplier online but i've heard it's easier if you travel to china, know the language, and communicate directly with potential suppliers. Not really an option for most though.

Chinese members here have said lots of ali sellers aren't manufacturing anything, just sourcing from 1688 and reselling worldwide. Going there in person would be a good way to tell trading companies from actual factories.

1688?????????????

yankee 03-26-2018 09:54 AM

I just opened an email with a request for my presence in china LOL It sounds like we will be wined and dinned and dazzled. My biggest concern is not liking the people I do business with and consider partners and friends. :)

phaz0rz 03-26-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolman89 (Post 910141)
1688?????????????

It's the China->China version of Ali. It's where Chinese trading companies shop around for suppliers. Everything is in Chinese and it can't be easily translated since it's almost all images of text.

1688.com

:noidea:

ebaystealth1974 03-26-2018 10:28 AM

I'll eventually make it to the Canton Fair. Been wanting to go for years...

nimade71 03-26-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolman89 (Post 910141)
1688?????????????

1688.com and alibaba.com are both ran by Jack Ma.
1688.com is in Chinese, and alibaba.com is in English

walkingupwards 03-27-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimade71 (Post 910156)
1688.com and alibaba.com are both ran by Jack Ma.
1688.com is in Chinese, and alibaba.com is in English

So do you think one could find real manufacturers on Alibaba?

walkingupwards 03-27-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachilla (Post 910140)
I'll go this year too, probably to Guangzhou... haven't been there yet. If you go to Shenzhen make sure you also visit Hong Kong and Macau. Pretty cool cities, really liked it there.

How much do you think it would cost to travel to Guangzhou or Shenzehn for a couple weeks?

rsot 05-11-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingupwards (Post 910416)
So do you think one could find real manufacturers on Alibaba?

Found and conquered a few

dallis 05-11-2018 09:16 PM

I think I'll limit my travel to the Chinese restaurant up the street... been around the world a bit and kind of like it best here in the States...

aspkin 05-12-2018 12:02 AM

It's not necessary... I wouldn't go.

If possible, it's better to have a Chinese partner. They can do all the leg work to find suppliers. They speak the language. Etc.

You don't need to be there.. :)