eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/dropshipping-wholesale-suppliers/)
-   -   goods not as described/getting refund/ what shal i do about duty and taxes? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/dropshipping-wholesale-suppliers/75224-goods-not-described-getting-refund-what-shal-i-do-about-duty-taxes.html)

Dazzler87 07-12-2014 06:57 AM

goods not as described/getting refund/ what shal i do about duty and taxes?

Need some advice if anyone can help,

I made a big order of watches from china and it cost me £1400. I paid through paypal but with funds off my credit card which is linked to the account. when they finally arrived they were all damaged and not even the correct watches. I contacted the buyer straight away and they told me they would send out the order again. And to dispose the goods as I explained that it will cost too much to send back to them and I didn't want to keep it in my house near my 2 year old daughter as it was full of broken glass and small pieces. still nothing has arrived and it's been over 2 months so I can't open a case on paypal. I've contacted the credit card company and explained and they said they would get back to me about it.

When the goods was on the way for some reason I couldn't go online and pay the tax and duty which is what I normally do. as dhl usually make me pay this before they deliver it to me. anyway it arrived and still it wouldn't let me pay online. only last week I get a letter from dhl asking me to pay £480 for tax and duty but the goods are binned and I'm in the middle of getting my money back for them and don't want to pay for tax and duty for something I've not got. What should I do? received another letter from dhl this morning saying I must make payment otherwise they will pass the debt onto someone.

Bunneh 07-12-2014 07:08 AM

Re: goods not as described/getting refund/ what shal i do about duty and taxes?

Well if you have to pay DHL regardless, as your credit will be effected as they do pass it on to a debt collector, you will have to write it off as a loss i am afraid as it is highly unlikely you are going to get anywhere with this Chinese seller.

Tax is tax, whether you end up selling the items or not, because you have already signed for the delivery.

Dazzler87 07-12-2014 07:14 AM

Thanks but if I win dispute and get my money back, is there a way I can claim tax and duty back? as the value on the invoice for £1400 will be incorrect as the good were worth nothing. I'm sure if seller puts the wrong value you can contact customs about it to either claim or pay to the correct amount owed, just wondering if that was the case for faulty goods.

Ebayorbust 07-12-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazzler87 (Post 566373)
Thanks but if I win dispute and get my money back, is there a way I can claim tax and duty back? as the value on the invoice for £1400 will be incorrect as the good were worth nothing. I'm sure if seller puts the wrong value you can contact customs about it to either claim or pay to the correct amount owed, just wondering if that was the case for faulty goods.

Have you contacted customs & excise or DHL to ask for their advice?

Bunneh 07-12-2014 07:24 AM

I have had a similar problem when i signed for an empty parcel, and was told by dhl that the packages and contents need to be checked before signing for an item or there is nothing they can do about it.

Dazzler87 07-12-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebayorbust (Post 566375)
Have you contacted customs & excise or DHL to ask for their advice?

No I'm can't contact them till Monday.

Ebayorbust 07-12-2014 07:26 AM

It would seem reasonable that you could reclaim the VAT & duty although you will no doubt have to pay it in the first instance.

Dazzler87 07-12-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 566376)
I have had a similar problem when i signed for an empty parcel, and was told by dhl that the packages and contents need to be checked before signing for an item or there is nothing they can do about it.

Really? might try that next time ask the guy to wait at the door while I check through 1000 watches before I sign for them.

Dazzler87 07-12-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebayorbust (Post 566379)
It would seem reasonable that you could reclaim the VAT & duty although you will no doubt have to pay it in the first instance.

Yes. It was just abit of a shock that's all after getting scammed out of £1400 then getting a late invoice for £480. eBay profits are only £800 a month with bills to pay and to be honest I've not got the money to pay it now unless I get my money back soon.

Ebayorbust 07-12-2014 07:35 AM

Good luck and let us know what happens on Monday.

oompaloompa 07-12-2014 12:27 PM

you should never let the 45 day window pass

newjerseymax 07-18-2014 08:57 AM

Pretty sure you can write it off as a loss on your next years taxes....

rsot 07-19-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newjerseymax (Post 568240)
Pretty sure you can write it off as a loss on your next years taxes....

There should be an easier way to claim back the duties by showing proof of damaged item claim or return of item, or so.

I have done this in Canada with a Customs Duty form.

alim 07-25-2014 02:05 AM

try calling customs and asking them for advice
Ive not encountered this situation but it was something where I thought the duty valuations were high.they made me fill custom forms and i sent pictures of the goods and duty was adjusted.this was in canada
but maybe the customs can help reassess the duty and taxes
but you still might have to pay the dhl duty first and then dispute it with customs but no harm calling customs now.

rsot 07-25-2014 02:49 AM

@Dazzler, any update?