purchases from hacked account? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-30-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default purchases from hacked account?

This past Dec. I have gotten an alarming amount of communications from eBay saying do not ship orders because that account was accessed by an unauthorized user. Few messages from the buyers themselves saying they did not place their orders.

What is going on? I wonder if this is a new buyer scam going on? I find it very strange that eBay makes it so easy to hack an account. I got more of these this past month then I have ever had on Amazon in 3 years and my Amazon volume is 10x.

Anyone else noticed this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: purchases from hacked account?

I would imagine its to do with all the recent hacks of email service providers.

People tend to use the same password for nearly all their accounts so if someone got hold of a persons Yahoo password then they could try that same password on eBayand see if it works. If it does they have 'hacked' the account
Old 12-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I would just log in to the actual account and see for myself.......what is worrying is the buyer emails.

I got hacked a few months back and they somehow changed my email and I did not get notified.....and my password...and the account got toasted...

Last edited by oompaloompa; 12-30-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

On my high rolling accounts, I enable two step verification for paypal and ebay (basically means each time you login, they not only require your email/password, but send you a temporary code via SMS). This feature is hidden away, but very useful. Literally makes you hack proof.

Note - make sure the phone number is kept active at all times. Its very difficut to regain access as most ebay employees don't even know about this feature or how it works themselves.
Old 12-30-2016
Banned

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
On my high rolling accounts, I enable two step verification for paypal and ebay (basically means each time you login, they not only require your email/password, but send you a temporary code via SMS). This feature is hidden away, but very useful. Literally makes you hack proof.

Note - make sure the phone number is kept active at all times. Its very difficut to regain access as most ebay employees don't even know about this feature or how it works themselves.
There's no such thing as hack proof...lols
Old 12-31-2016

Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
I would imagine its to do with all the recent hacks of email service providers.

People tend to use the same password for nearly all their accounts so if someone got hold of a persons Yahoo password then they could try that same password on eBayand see if it works. If it does they have 'hacked' the account
what happens if i ship it to the paypal address? ive had a lot of cases where the buyer filed a chargeback with the credit card comapny and they might make me pay 20$ on each one( i got over 8 cases im surpized they have not banned my account). It sucks i have to pay 50$ back to them and a 20$ fee.
Old 12-31-2016

Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
they really should offer a 2fa although that would help. The problem is a lot of these scammers are using stolen credit cards on a aged stealth ebay.
Old 12-31-2016

Longevity: 42%

Of course, out of curiosity I opened to email to see that someone had ordered a Samsung Note 2. Better yet, the delivery address was in Ohio. As you can see from the screenshot below, they left my billing address and payment information the same, but just changed the delivery address.
Old 12-31-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
I wouldn't say completely hack proof. But two factor authentication drastically reduces the chances of you being hacked.
Old 12-31-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 50%

For what it's worth, I used to sell GoPro's and accessories, and in the few months I sold them, I got a LOT (out of 400+ sales, probably 20-25 "hacked" notifications similar to what you mentioned) automated emails like that. I think along with other reasons, it's an automatic reply by eb.y's bots to handling a chargeback or abuse of their claim system, but in a way that keeps it from reflecting on their overly automated system, so they don't take as much of the blame. Saying something was "accessed by unauthorized user" makes it sound like it's more out of their hands and deflects the blame. A lot of these situations involved user ID's from overseas or low feedback, and many times this happened soon after the shipping label was printed, where I assume the buyer thought it was in the mail and tried opening a claim right away, whether they could or not.

Anyway, I don't think that "unauthorized user" notification is only issued in instances where someone's account was hacked.
Old 12-31-2016

Longevity: 76%

Well hackers go after easiest so activation of rarely used security makes it so that not case so whereas not hack proof it makes so less likely to want to invest time or money on you.