Shipping on a larger scale - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home > Marketplace Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-24-2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 302
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 34%
iTrader: (1)
Default Shipping on a larger scale

Alright, guys. I have noticed there are many niches for products under 15 dollars with decent profit margins considering the total cost. But the major elephant in the room tends to be shipping eating the cost to death.

My question to you bigger guys in the market--- How can you get cheaper shipping than First Class with tracking to meet requirements? If only I could ship less than a pound for a dollar, then I could maximize several markets.
Reply With Quote
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

  #2  
Old 01-24-2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 56
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 26%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

I personally dont know of anything cheaper then the usps first class. Maybe take a look as fedex smartpost and ups. What you can do if you have not already is cut shipping cost is get a thermal printer and the will eliminate ink and you can bum free shipping labels from ups and you can get free shipping supplies like usps padded envelopes for free.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2017
phaz0rz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,292
Thanks: 1,638
Thanked 2,886 Times in 2,195 Posts
Activity: 96%
Longevity: 30%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Haha. This is why I always examine the shipping method used by Amazon when I order anything from them. They're so tight with USPS they can send a package using the "parcel select" mail class and have it delivered in 48 hours plus have it delivered on a Sunday. I hate those guys. Every carrier Amazon uses ships their packages at a loss just to keep their business. Must be nice.

Anyway, I seriously doubt you'll find anything cheaper than First Class mail. I've done plenty of shopping around and have never had any luck. Unless you're shipping several thousand packages weekly, the rates offered by UPS Surepost/Fedex Smartpost aren't going to compete with USPS First Class.

To the best of my knowledge the only cheaper options you're going to find are shipping with a stamp, or shipping your packages as flats. Neither option comes with tracking. Stamped "letters" can't be thicker than 1/4" and flats can't be thicker than 3/4", so there isn't a whole lot you can ship with either of those classes.

On a side note the new USPS rates really suck, don't they?. I'm getting tired of USPS punishing shippers for their stupid employee health plan obligations.
__________________
____________
_______
___
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
pirate1122 (01-26-2017)
  #4  
Old 01-24-2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 316
Thanks: 10
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 20%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post

On a side note the new USPS rates really suck, don't they?. I'm getting tired of USPS punishing shippers for their stupid employee health plan obligations.
Yeah, the new rates this week are gonna suck up some margin big time this year. On the upside, they broke up the 1-4oz and 4-8oz rates for a little better savings for lighter stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2017
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,126
Thanks: 11
Thanked 749 Times in 577 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 63%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Ship a pound for a dollar or less... what the heck dude... dream on!

Might as well ask which carriers will ship for free! LOL!

If only my suppliers would give me product for nothing I could maximize several markets too - think of how my profit margins would go up then!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2017
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 302
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 34%
iTrader: (1)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I see people selling so cheap on eBay I honestly wonder how they get the product that low. They must be making pennies or buying 1000s and now listing the inventory completely.

I, too, have had to start eating the rate hike. That nickel and dime adds up at the end of the money when you ship hundreds of packages.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2017
Payelectronica's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 326
Thanks: 36
Thanked 75 Times in 62 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 29%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

In reality the United States has one of the cheapest most efficient postal systems in the world.
It's a given that these prices are going to continue to rise every year so if your selling on the margins you should find a product that can obsotb the cost of shipping.
It's not easy but it is very possible to find products that sell at a 3 $ 400% mark up and higher.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2017
phaz0rz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,292
Thanks: 1,638
Thanked 2,886 Times in 2,195 Posts
Activity: 96%
Longevity: 30%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaDonuts View Post
Yeah, the new rates this week are gonna suck up some margin big time this year. On the upside, they broke up the 1-4oz and 4-8oz rates for a little better savings for lighter stuff.
Just noticed your post. Unfortunately though it doesn't make any sense.

There are no savings for lighter parcels with the new rates. On the contrary it's now more expensive to ship light parcels. It's now $2.61 for 1-4oz parcels, and $2.77 for 5-8oz. Previously it was a flat $2.60 for 1-8oz. I'm failing to see where you see any savings. It now costs a penny more to ship 1-4oz, and $.17 more to ship 5-8oz.

Please elaborate, lol, because I would really like to get the savings you're referring to!
__________________
____________
_______
___
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 56
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 26%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Just noticed your post. Unfortunately though it doesn't make any sense.

There are no savings for lighter parcels with the new rates. On the contrary it's now more expensive to ship light parcels. It's now $2.61 for 1-4oz parcels, and $2.77 for 5-8oz. Previously it was a flat $2.60 for 1-8oz. I'm failing to see where you see any savings. It now costs a penny more to ship 1-4oz, and $.17 more to ship 5-8oz.

Please elaborate, lol, because I would really like to get the savings you're referring to!
I think he was trying to say that it is nice that there is a gap between 1-4 and 5-8oz so instead of all under 8oz being 2.77 1-4 is 2.61 ect.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-2017
unkown5454's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,193
Thanks: 2,148
Thanked 1,301 Times in 933 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 67%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

all under 8oz for 2.60 was the best. shipping is the least of my worries for small items. i'm getting ra.ped way worse from seller/listing fees in various market places.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2017
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 302
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 34%
iTrader: (1)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

In conclusion, people have to either A. have massively lower wholesale cost than general sourcing, or B. have some kind of retail wholesale agreement with a massive carrier. I am leaning towards A with the difference in yuan and dollars, and the time cost not shipping it DHL or express.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2017
phaz0rz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,292
Thanks: 1,638
Thanked 2,886 Times in 2,195 Posts
Activity: 96%
Longevity: 30%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever17 View Post
In conclusion, people have to either A. have massively lower wholesale cost than general sourcing, or B. have some kind of retail wholesale agreement with a massive carrier. I am leaning towards A with the difference in yuan and dollars, and the time cost not shipping it DHL or express.
You hit the nail on the head. E-commerce is global so platforms like Ebay are the most competitive in history.

It's really hard to be profitable in certain niches until you're able to bring inventory in by the container load, or you're able to go to China and source products in person. Nearly all sellers big sellers are importing from China, so you'll need to get creative in terms of extracting a profit from the yuan/dollar differential.
__________________
____________
_______
___
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2017
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 302
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 34%
iTrader: (1)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
You hit the nail on the head. E-commerce is global so platforms like Ebay are the most competitive in history.

It's really hard to be profitable in certain niches until you're able to bring inventory in by the container load, or you're able to go to China and source products in person. Nearly all sellers big sellers are importing from China, so you'll need to get creative in terms of extracting a profit from the yuan/dollar differential.
Although I'm sure I could make the venture profitable, the opportunity cost of that much inventory for that small of profit would not be effective. I guess I will stick to mid-tier items that go for 10-50 dollars and under 2 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2017
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 382
Thanks: 9
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 45%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Shipping on a larger scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever17 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I see people selling so cheap on eBay I honestly wonder how they get the product that low. They must be making pennies or buying 1000s and now listing the inventory completely.

I, too, have had to start eating the rate hike. That nickel and dime adds up at the end of the money when you ship hundreds of packages.
That is mostly items shipped out of China, they always have the lowest prices. BUT it takes a month plus to arrive......
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you sell parts of a larger product, when the UPC only covers the larger produc james13v Amazon 7 09-16-2016 02:17 PM
Best way to scale a 3 year old account? eezo UK eBay & Paypal 16 08-13-2014 12:53 PM
how do u get free shipping scale? yougotit eBay Discussion! 3 09-18-2008 05:22 PM


Aspkin Group

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Amazon Suspension? Read Amazon Ghost to get back on Amazon!
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger
no new posts